2024 Senior Bowl Thread

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I guess we need to pay attention to these guys.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Eichenberg is legit too.
That's true as well. I'd be looking for a dude who is a tackling machine and also heady enough to sort of QB the defense. Athletic freaks are great but I think we need a real leader at LBer. Someone that knows what the hell they are doing and can make sure everyone around them does too. This is not Bobby Carpenter at LBer. This is probably one of the first years in a long time where I'm actually looking at LBers hard. It's always been a position where we could use another guy but it's just become such a glaring weakness at this point.

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

This is not the first time I have read this. I dunno man. That damn boy is so ugly.

• Haha
Reactions: p1_

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
This is not the first time I have read this. I dunno man. That damn boy is so ugly.
He is. And he's a diva, too.

He does have arm talent, though. No doubt someone will take a chance.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He is. And he's a diva, too.

He does have arm talent, though. No doubt someone will take a chance.
Gosh, I just don't like him. He was so erratic at Oklahoma when everyone was calling him a future first rounder. I didn't see it.

Admittedly I did not watch much South Carolina this year. But the previous year I watched him a little and thought he still kind of looked like poo. Now you want to talk about their WR? That guy looks like TO reborn to me. Or maybe more like AJ Brown. Either way if he falls to the second I think someone is getting a steal.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Gosh, I just don't like him. He was so erratic at Oklahoma when everyone was calling him a future first rounder. I didn't see it.

Admittedly I did not watch much South Carolina this year. But the previous year I watched him a little and thought he still kind of looked like poo.

I saw some of the game against North Carolina and from what I saw he outplayed Maye that game. For whatever that's worth.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
How the hell does someone who looks like that boy pull off diva behavior?
Because he can throw a football. Star of "QB1", which I never saw.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I saw some of the game against North Carolina and from what I saw he outplayed Maye that game. For whatever that's worth.
And maybe he has turned the corner. I feel the same way about Bo Nix. I can't shake what I saw at Auburn which just was not very good.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
And maybe he has turned the corner. I feel the same way about Bo Nix. I can't shake what I saw at Auburn which just was not very good.
Nix had better go someplace he has a chance to start right away because he is pushing 30.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
How to Watch Senior Bowl Week: Nix, Penix, Fuaga Headline the Top Offensive Prospects
A breakdown of the position groups on the offensive side of the ball, from potential first-rounders to intriguing late-round sleepers
Published 01/24/24 01:29 PM ET|
Updated 01/26/24 09:14 AM ET
Michael Renner
https://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=https://themessenger.com/sports/nfl-draft-senior-bowl-top-prospects-offense-quarterbacks-nix-penix
I’ve been going to the Senior Bowl every year since 2016 and I can’t recall a more loaded roster of prospects during that span than this year’s. The big reason: juniors. For the first time ever the Senior Bowl and Shrine Bowl are allowed to invite third-year prospects to their showcases; we’re seeing the benefits of that at numerous positions. Eleven underclassmen prospects are slated to suit up next week, with almost all of them projected to be top-75 picks. Let’s dive into who I’ll be watching the closest in each position group next week.

Quarterbacks

Even if the biggest names in the 2024 quarterback class won’t be in attendance, there’s still going to be numerous scouts locked in to the position all week. I have Oregon’s Bo Nix as a top-10 player in the class along with Washington’s Michael Penix Jr. and Tulane’s Michael Pratt as top-100 players. You can bet every quarterback-needy team not drafting in the top-5 will watching those three like a hawk.

Top Prospect: Bo Nix, Oregon

Nix is currently my QB3 in the 2024 draft class. For my evaluation of him, there’s a lot riding on this upcoming week. A big Senior Bowl performance could see him crack the top-2 while a lackluster one would likely drop him to QB4 behind LSU’s Jayden Daniels. That speaks to 1) How gifted Nix is physically, with big-time arm talent along and plus mobility; and 2) How much he didn’t get to showcase those physical traits in Oregon’s offense.
\
Around one in five of Nix’s passes this past fall were screens; his reputation as a checkdown artist was largely a factor of Oregon’s offense. The lingering question, though, is what will he look like when that’s not the case? You can point to his Auburn tape when that was more the case, but that’s like pointing to Joe Burrow not beating out Dwayne Haskins at Ohio State as a knock. Everyone develops at different rates. The good news is we’ll get some answers next week.

Other Potential Top-100 Picks

Michael Penix Jr., Washington

Penix’s statistical profile from Indiana to Washington is hard to ignore. Even with the funky release, injury history, and small frame, there’s still far more to like than dislike about him as a prospect.
Read More

The biggest question for Penix to answer is how much does he owe his success to his supporting cast? Not every quarterback who plays with talented wide receivers at the collegiate level is purely a product of that supporting cast (see: C.J. Stroud), but with the sheer amount of jump-ball yardage Penix picked up with three top-100 picks at wide receiver, it’s a valid critique. He’ll be going head-to-head throughout the week of practice with Bo Nix to try to up his stock.

Michael Pratt, Tulane

Pratt has flown largely under the radar in a loaded quarterback class, but don’t be surprised if he’s another Top-100 pick. He ticks a lot of boxes, with the most important being that he’s a four-year starter who turned around a lifeless Tulane program. That’s going to be something evaluators look for more and more after the success of Brock Purdy, who ticked the same box coming out of Iowa State. Pratt will get drafted much higher than Mr. Irrelevant, however, because he has legit NFL tools.

Intriguing Late Rounder: Joe Milton, Tennessee

No quarterback in this class has a stronger arm than Milton — he may even have the strongest in the NFL next fall. Seventy yards with a flick from the pocket is nothing to him.

Combine that with the ability to hit over 21 miles per hour at top speed and you can see why he’s so intriguing.
https://twitter.com/AllVolReport/status/1706400589729472659?s=20
With shaky accuracy and decision making over his six-year career, though, Milton has a long way to go before he can be a starting quarterback in the league. Truthfully, he’s a strong candidate to move to tight end at his size, where I believe he could be a real difference maker.

Needs a Big Week: Spencer Rattler, South Carolina

Rattler was once touted as “next” in the Lincoln Riley quarterback pipeline; he followed three straight Heisman finalists and NFL starters in Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray, and Jalen Hurts. After a scintillating redshirt freshman campaign for the Sooners, the proverbial wheels fell off. He was benched for Caleb Williams, transferred to South Carolina, and never quite recaptured the magic we saw under Riley save for a few starts the past couple of years.

With mobility, accuracy, and plus arm-talent, it truly is all there for Rattler to be a starter in the NFL. His decision making and pocket presence never took the next step in his development, however. An NFL-like setting will give him a chance to prove that criticism false and possibly jump into the top 100 picks.
Running Backs

It’s not only a weak running back class, but the crop in Mobile is missing a good portion of the top backs in the class. There’s a chance there’s not a single top-100 pick in this group, making it the weakest position group in attendance. That’s not a huge deal, though, as running back is one of the positions that’s the most difficult to evaluate in a controlled practice setting like the Senior Bowl.

Top Prospect: Kimani Vidal, Troy

If you haven’t seen the Troy running back roll yet you are in for a treat. The 5-8 back is 215 pounds of wound-up muscle. His explosiveness in his cuts and speed in the open field is outstanding, and with his low center of gravity, he’s a chore to take down one-on-one. He put up 1,661 rushing yards and 14 scores this past season.
https://twitter.com/CamMellor/status/1710790032905171406?s=20

While we haven’t seen too much from him as a pass catcher, he’ll get opportunities to prove that in Mobile.

Jaylen Wright, Tennessee

Wright is the most explosive back in the entire draft class, evident in his 7.4 yards per carry and runs like this, against Georgia.
https://twitter.com/evanvcrowell/status/1726727413520871552?s=20

The worry is how boom or bust he was as a runner. His tape against Alabama, when he had only 22 yards on 11 carries, will give teams pause. He gets hesitant in tight quarters and his eyes are too quick to look for the bounce out. After only 136 carries this past season, the junior running back comes to Mobile with a lot of lingering question marks.

Intriguing Late Rounder: Dylan Laube, New Hampshire

The Senior Bowl was made for players like Laube. He faced one Power-5 school in 2023, Central Michigan. In that game he set New Hampshire’s single-game record with 295 receiving yards, as a running back. He’s a natural pass-catcher who was featured heavily in that regard last season; he’s got third-down back written all over him.

Needs a Big Week: Jaylen Wright, Tennessee

Not only is Wright relatively green from a playing time standpoint — he never took more than 146 carries in a single season for the Volunteers — but the concepts he was running at Tennessee are not near what he’ll be running in the NFL. If his vision looks good running against heavier boxes, he’ll punch his ticket to the draft’s second day.

Wide Receivers

While it’s unlikely any of the receivers in attendance ends up a first-rounder in April, they could come flying off the board on Day 2; it wouldn’t be far-fetched whatsoever if eight of the 16 receivers in attendance end up Top-100 picks. This group has all shapes, sizes, and skill sets as well — it’s a great year to need a wide out.

Top Prospect: Ladd McConkey, Georgia
The three-year starter for the Bulldogs is just good. You can’t help but appreciate the crispness and consistency of his route-running. He’s also got a gear that can threaten deep, as well as a knack for getting upfield in a hurry after the catch. His frame and lack of physicality make him a Day 2 pick, but he’ll be an immediate contributor.

Malachi Corley, WKU
Corley’s greatest asset — his work after the catch — will go sorely unrecognized throughout the week of practice without tackling. No matter, he’s got three years of high-end college tape in that regard to hang his hat on already. Next week he gets a chance to prove he’s more than just a screen weapon; Corley played almost entirely from the slot for Western Kentucky, so seeing how he fares as a route-runner on the outside will be big for his evaluation as well.

Javon Baker, UCF
No receiver at the Senior Bowl has a more complete all-around skill set than Baker. He has size, speed, agility, shiftiness, leaping ability, and route-running chops. He just drops a lot of passes. It’s not that he dosen’t attack the ball well, it’s that they slip through his fingers. A drop-free week could boost him to the first receiver taken from Mobile.

Brenden Rice, USC

Jerry Rice’s son got some of those athletic genes. The 6-foot-3, 210-pounder was primarily a downfield threat for USC with a top speed that’s unique for a player his size. His fluidity as a route-runner needs improvement and it remains to be seen whether he can consistently separate vs. man coverage.

Jamari Thrash, Louisville

Thrash has a few questions to answer before he makes his way into the top-100. The first is how the 185-pounder deals with contact. The second is consistently hauling in the football. We know he can make plays after the catch and separate deep, but those are moot points if he lets the ball hit the turf as much as he did this past fall.

Xavier Legette, South Carolina

I’ve dubbed Legette as D.K. Metcalf-lite and hope to be dropping the “lite” after his Senior Bowl. The nearly tight end sized wide receiver can flat out scoot. It’s almost impossible to believe that he couldn’t haul in more than 167 yards in any of his first four seasons before his monster 1,255 yard campaign this last fall. He’s at a minimum a unique role player at the next level and his best case scenario is…well…D.K. Metcalf.

Devontez Walker, North Carolina

A pure speed demon who’s been mocked in the first round by the likes of NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah, Walker has a lot riding on this Senior Bowl. He also has a lot to prove after playing just over half a season for the Tar Heels after eligibility concerns cost him the first month of the year. I’m looking forward to seeing him run a bit more of a diverse route tree than the vertical stems he was so proficient at last fall.

Intriguing Late Rounder: Luke McCaffrey, Rice

Christian’s brother was a quarterback his first three years of college between Nebraska and Rice. He flipped to receiver in 2022 and his bloodlines took over. He stacked up 1,621 yards and 19 scores in two seasons mostly manning the slot. His hands are already among some of the best in the class and he can create with ease after the catch. The one-on-ones in Mobile will be a great litmus test for how far he’s come as a route-runner in such a short time.
https://twitter.com/dpbrugler/status/1718998470185439438?s=20

Needs a Big Week: Devontez Walker, North Carolina

In a crowded wide receiver class, Walker is easily one of the most impressive athletes. While that helped him stride past most corners he faced on tape at UNC this past fall, will it be enough to beat future NFL corners next week?

Tight Ends

Top Prospect: Johnny Wilson, Florida State

He may have played wide receiver at Florida State, and he’s listed as a wide receiver on the Senior Bowl roster, but I will not stop including him with the tight ends in my rankings. Why, you ask? Because how many 6-foot-7, 239 pound wide outs can you name? He’s an offseason in the weight room away from playing tight end, where his massive catch radius would be more suited. He’s a big slot otherwise.
https://twitter.com/JRDrafts/status/1749825187959218365?s=20

Ben Sinnott, Kansas State

The 2023 Lowman Award winner, Sinnott will be coveted for his versatile blocking prowess combined with an unwillingness to go down after the catch. He’s not a pure route-runner that you’d feature in an offense, but put the ball in his hands and good things happen, as evidenced by his 14.0 yards per reception average over his career.

Tanner McLachlan, Arizona

It might be generous to include McLachlan here, but I’ve seen crazier picks at the end of Round 3 before. McLachlan is the most natural receiver of any of the tight ends in Mobile. He possesses outstanding hands and body control. He’s a solid athlete for the position, but that’s also because he’s still on the smaller end at only 240 pounds.
https://twitter.com/EricGalko/status/1681739696852926464?s=20
Intriguing Late Rounder: Jaheim Bell, Florida State

At 6-foot-3, 239 pounds, Bell is not going to be for everyone; he’s an H-back type in the mold of someone like Gerald Everett. He’s consistently been a weapon after the catch with double-digit broken tackles for three straight seasons.

Needs a Big Week: Brevyn Spann-Ford, Minnesota

The 6-foot-7, 270 pound tight end was never going to be Travis Kelce. His tape in 2022, though, where he racked up 42 catches for 497 yards suggested he could be a feared inline blocker that could make you pay if you forgot about him in the passing game. That all changed this past fall when he dropped just about everything that went his way. PFF charted him with nine drops on 34 catchable passes in a season he’s hoping to put behind him next week.

Offensive Tackles

This is the single strongest position group I can remember since I started making a yearly pilgrimage to the Senior Bowl in 2016. There could very well be five first-rounders amongst this group; the OL/DL one-on-ones will be must see TV all week.

Top Prospect: Taliese Fuaga, Oregon State

Fuaga doesn’t need the Senior Bowl to earn a spot in the first round. His tape secured that by the midway point this fall. Thankfully, he’s attending for our pure enjoyment because watching him body unsuspecting defenders is a thing of beauty. His pop on contact — whether in the run game or in pass protection — is elite.
https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1715367250843099484?s=20
The question mark for him is his foot quickness in pass protection and how he’ll fare against NFL-caliber explosiveness on an island. If he passes those tests in the one-on-one’s, he could be a top-10 pick.

Jordan Morgan, Arizona

Morgan was a likely top-50 pick a year ago before tearing his ACL late in the 2023 season. He ticks a lot of boxes for the offensive tackle position, chiefly among them: performance. The past two seasons he’s executed his assignments consistently at a high-level. His balance and lateral agility are two of his best traits, making him a formidable opponent for pass-rushers. While he has a versatile body type that could fit at guard as well (where he’ll probably see some snaps in Mobile), I think he could be a heck of an offensive tackle in the league.

Patrick Paul, Houston

Paul is a hulking 6-foot-7 offensive tackle who engulfed most of the competition he faced this past fall. While not overly refined technically, he’s still highly coordinated with his hand usage, which showed in pass protection. The only question mark left for him in that regard is the level of competition. He didn’t face much in the way of high-end edge-rushing talent on his schedule in the Big-12 last season.

Kingsley Suamataia, BYU
Suamataia is one of the easiest-moving tackles in the draft class; his reps in space look like a tight end tracking down defenders. It’s easy to see why he’ll be drafted highly.
https://twitter.com/RealD_Jackson/status/1744038539191279806?s=20

With experience at right tackle (2022) and left tackle (’23), Suamataia’s versatility should stick out over the course of the week as prospects are often asked to line up in numerous positions along the line.

Tyler Guyton, Oklahoma

Guyton pops immediately when you flip on the tape. His ability to get out of his stance at his size is a legitimate weapon in his arsenal. You just wish he could sustain better on tape in both the run game and pass protection; if he doesn’t win immediately, chances are he won’t recover the block. There’s so much to develop, though, don’t be surprised if he ends up a first-rounder even if he puts together a ho-hum Senior Bowl.

Dominick Puni, Kansas

Puni’s strengths and weaknesses could read a lot like Jordan Morgan’s above, except Puni may be a little more likely to kick inside to guard given that’s where he started in 2022 before moving out to tackle this past fall. His ability to always be under control is a great trait to have for an offensive lineman.

Javon Foster, Missouri

No tackle in the draft class has been more battle-tested than Foster; nearly 3,000 snaps at tackle in the SEC will certainly hone your skills. That’s exactly what we saw from Foster this past fall, as he took a nice leap forward on tape. He’s got long arms and strong hands capable of winning blocks even when he’s not in the best body position. His balance can be iffy on tape, but it definitely improved over his career.
https://twitter.com/RealD_Jackson/status/1743449643659182187?s=20

Roger Rosengarten, Washington

Rosengarten is an agile tackle with some of the best mirroring ability in the class; he can handle speed-rushers with ease. At only 300 pounds, his play strength is a bit of a concern, though, and it was surprising he declared given he had two more years of eligibility. He’ll get walked back by power rushers at the next level. While it might take a couple years for his muscle mass to get up to NFL-caliber, he should be a starting tackle once it does.

Intriguing Late Rounder: Delmar Glaze, Maryland

Glaze has shown out in pass protection at both right tackle (2021-22) and left tackle (’23) in his career. He changes direction well for a 328-pounder and does very well to find shoulder pads with his hands. His work in the run game leaves more to be desired, but he could play his way out of late-rounder status with a big week in Mobile.

Needs a Big Week: Kingsley Suamataia, BYU

Suamataia comes with not only competition level concerns, but also questions about his performance. His ability to sustain blocks in the run game was lackluster this past fall. The tools are there to be a first-rounder, but he’ll need to rise to the occasion in Mobile for that to be the case.

Interior Offensive Linemen

Top Prospect: Graham Barton, Duke

Barton started his freshman year at center before spending his final three seasons at left tackle for the Blue Devils. He’s likely to kick back to somewhere on the interior at the next level. His versatility and all-around athleticism are his calling cards. He’s outstanding in space and would be best suited going to a scheme that takes advantage of that.

Jackson Powers-Johnson, Oregon

You can’t put up much better tape in one lone season as a starter than Powers-Johnson did this past fall. He’s the top-ranked center on my draft board after a breakout redshirt sophomore campaign that didn’t feature much in the way of bad tape. He’s got a skillset reminiscent of Creed Humphrey coming out of Oklahoma — both are built like fire hydrants that can really get out in space and move.
https://twitter.com/robertkschmitz/status/1749164793431237031?s=20

Troy Fautanu, Washington

Fautanu looks like a lock to be a top-50 pick at this point. He’s a two-year starter at left tackle for the Huskies, but has the body type to play all five offensive line positions. Fautanu plays with outstanding posture, balance, and foot quickness. His easy mirroring ability stood out against speed rushers. While his play strength is just O.K., he mitigates it with active hands to avoid losing leverage battles.

Christian Haynes, Connecticut

Haynes was a four-year starter at right guard for the Huskies; all he did was improve every single season of his career. He’s an ideal zone scheme guard with a squatty build, long arms, and quicks to make the backside cutoff. He may very well end up the top true guard prospect in the class.

Zach Frazier, West Virginia

Frazier is a former state champion wrestler, which is about the best way I can describe his play style. Physically, he’s not much to write home about. There’s a dozen more impressive athletes in the class; none of them can sustain blocks the way Frazier does, however. He’s likely a center only at the next level, but one that can step in and start right away.
https://twitter.com/RealD_Jackson/status/1725513721835815067?s=20
Cooper Beebe, Kansas State

Beebe is a four-year starter with experience at right tackle, left tackle, and left guard. When you see his 335-pound frame, however, you’ll understand why he settled in at guard the last two seasons for the Wildcats. He is a brick wall coming at defenders with unbridled power throughout his frame. This is the gap-scheme guard you want in the class.
https://twitter.com/BenFennell_NFL/status/1748397072879915279?s=20
Sedrick Van Pran, Georgia

Van Pran is a slender yet powerful center prospect with three years of starting experience. Despite coming in at only 310 pounds, Van Pran can still deal with jumbo nose tackles when he needs to. While he’s only taken snaps at center in his Georgia career, Van Pran has the frame to play guard as well and will likely get that chance in Mobile.

Layden Robinson, Texas A&M

Robinson has always impressed more with his physical capabilities than his on-field performance — that’s not hard to do when you’re the most impressive athlete in the interior line class. The power and explosiveness Robinson possesses is like that of All-Pro and Pro-Bowl linemen in the NFL. His hand usage is simply not ready for the big-time in pass-protection, however. It’s unfortunate that we didn’t see a bigger leap from him in his three seasons as a starter.

Intriguing Late Rounder: Isaiah Adams, Illinois

Adams took a different route than most to his Senior Bowl invite. The Illinois offensive lineman started his career at Wilfrid Laurier University in Canada way back in 2018. After two years there he transferred to Garden City Community College and then found his way to Illinois in 2022. He’s a burly 320-pounder who played guard in ’22 and tackle in ’23. His body control at his size makes him a worthy developmental prospect in the later rounds.

Needs a Big Week: Christian Haynes, Connecticut

If there is anything missing from Haynes’ resumé at this point it’s proving it against top competition. With a loaded defensive tackle group in Mobile, Haynes will get that chance. If he passes with flying colors he could end up a second-rounder.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
For some reason the formatting did not show any of the tweets.

But these are the ones I found most intriguing:

WHITEY ALERT!

Top Bottom