2024 Draft Weekend Chatter Thread

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Quick note, Guyton was just on the Fan. Sounds like a good kid. Down south Texas boy who's Dad is alifelong Cowboys fan. We could have done much worse.

data

Forbes #1
Press Conference

McClay, Jerruh, Stephen, McCarthy

Jerruh: Before we get started, I don't want to get defensive, but let's talk about this cap.
~laughter~

Jerruh: From my perspective, with the depth on the OL for the draft, that you could, uh, in my view, that you could narrow the difference between the top players and the other players which you can if you can be a little patient, that you can pick up in the lower rounds a player that can do the same things for you. Like Biadasz. Everyone's juicy about the top, but if you lack a 4th rounder...

Stephen: Yes, we made a conscious look into the trade. Certainly, at that point, after the trade, there were 5 slots to be picked and we liked 4 players. It's tense waiting. No question. Yes, you're taking a risk. That paid off for us.

McCarthy - With Tyler playing the right side, they have a left-handed QB at Oklahoma, so it will be easy transition regarding the stress of the backside. Enthusiasm, native Texan. Great addition to our OL.

McClay - You look for feet, athletiscims. We have a hsitory of players playing OL at high ability Your LT are usually more athletic. Tyler's a basketball player.

Jerruh - It's hard to do with a tackle, but you want to have a little sexiness. We did it with Tyler Smith a few years ago and I think we did it again. Guyton is a sexy pick.

Stephen: Barton is a guy in that list of players that we felt we'd be happy with. But to get the LT is a big deal. We had the same discussions with Larry Allen when he was here. Certainly Tyler Smith played a high level at Guard and now we can keep him there.

data

Forbes #1
Press Conference continued...

Stephen: As we add to that, look at the young group that will be pushing these guys. Waletkzo, Ball, Chuma. We still have a lot of picks to improve this team. You can't pay three lineman top dollars when you have Dak's contract. We think the world of Connor Williams, McGovern and Biadiasz. But, you also get compensatory picks when they get taken away.

Jerruh: When Jets took Tyron, when you look at where you were, you need to make sure if you have a chance to, bolster the LT talent for now and the future

McClay: Guyton stuck out first during the season. At the Senior Bowl got a closer look. The Tackle premium and play the way that Guyton plays. There's a little nastiness to him. Playing in Oklahoma with that coach and talking with the coach. The athleticism. We get players with attributes that fits with our record of what we know succeeds for OL. The work ethic.

McCarthy: Length at 6'7". First one around that tall was John Alt, ironic his son selected today. But athleticism was evident with Guyton. The feedback from Oklahoma coaches was extremely high. I haven't had many tackles that height.

McCarthy: He'll do great in the run game. Our schemes fit our players. It's important for coaches to take Spring. You're going to acquire players in draft and need to tweak the system. But I think Guyton will be able to do eveyrthing we ask of him.

McCarthy: The ceiling. Guyton's got a tremendous ceiling. If that doesn't excite you as a coach, you need to do something else. As a coach, we're excited. It's a young man's game more than ever. We see his 14 starts is a positive. With the NIL, more than ever, kid are taking different courses and directions. We feel strong about our OL room and Guyton will be a great fit.

Jerruh: For OL, position flex is a great trait. But a LT, you need to get length and feet slide for the protection. Most lineman love to run block when you get to give it out. This guy has the basketball fluidness and long arms to protect the QB. It's a sexy pick.

data

Forbes #1
Press COnference continued....

Stephen: Biggest thing was not to trade back too far. We love Tyler GUyton, but there were others. Fact we only had to move back to #29 was a big influence, not to mention getting the 3rd, made it more enticing to pull the trigger. That was the most important thing, not moving out of the 1st. We felt like the 1st round is where you can get a 1st round type player with what was left on our board.

Jerruh: Gotta have a special situation happen for trade interest. The defensive pass rusher was there so our phone started lighting up. It wasn't the biggest fire sale ever, but it was effective enough. To have the opportunity to get the extra pick, we didn't have a fourth.

Stephen: Full body of work. Multiple picks could've worked as opposed to one high pick. Being in the 3rd or 4th round area, there's quality in the 5th round. Anytime you can pick that second day of picks is great, but we also looked at multiple picks. Sometimes 3 players vs 1 player

Jerruh: Great draft this year to have middle round picks. I'll show you our draft board
~laughter~
Seriously, this year is a good middle round draft and we felt a little naked without that 4th

McCarthy: My first impression of Guyton was over Zoom. I was impressed with his character. His story. Great foundation. The visits at Oklahoma was positive. The upside, the ceiling. he's definitely a profile pick for us

Stephen: Detroit was one of the later teams we came into contact with about trading.
Jerruh: We had four trade options going.

Jerruh: From where we picked, we picked 5 players in the first round historically and several were in the Pro Bowl. We've got a good record.

McCarthy: Biggest thing is footwork moving positions. We move Tyler Smith. Brian Bulaga. Josh Sitton. It's like wiping your ass with the opposite hand. That's his way of telling me that he's not interested.

Jerruh: Those two contracts with Amon Ra and AJ Brown, I haven't had time to think about them. But that's exactly what I was talking about with waiting for the tea leaves to fall. I don't care to express any thoughts about the contract at that time, but these contracts will impact the upcoming contract.

data

Forbes #1
Press Conference continued...

Jerruh: We spent a lot of time with Zeke. Stephen did, too. It was a combination of things of why we bumped into each other.
Stephen: Zeke is one of our favorites. he's laid it on the line. He's a competitor. It was good to run into Zeke and Rocky. We had a beer and moved on.
Jerruh: He's laid it on the line for the Dallas Cowboys and the Dallas Cowboys have laid it on the line for him. It's one you can think about and smile.

Stephen: You get a return when you lose the Biadazs, the Connor Williams. Hats off to Tyler (Tyron) as he played his ass off for us, but we got a pick back. As an organization, you feel like you've done well in the draft. Losing a Tyler (Tyron), a Dorance, that's tough part of the business, but we feel confident when we get the compensatory picks to get young guys that can make a difference.

Jerruh: Jonathan Brooks -- In my 30 years, thought it was the best interview with a player ever. He's outstanding. he's a great football player and we have him high, high, high. He's a good player.
McClay: You're showing the board.
~laughter~
Stephen: I got to meet him as well. Brooks is outstanding. He's working his tail off to get his knee right. He's good friends with Overshown. They're comparing notes about the knee. After visiting with him, you're rooting for him.
McClay: ...and one of the several outstanding players left in this draft.
~laughter~

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
OMG, did Jerry just say his interview with Brooks was the best he's ever had? :puke

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Sorry about not being on the board during the first round. I went to my mom’s house to watch it with her.

I’m very pleased with the way it played out. Getting the extra 3rd is huge.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
OMG, did Jerry just say his interview with Brooks was the best he's ever had? :puke
I'm starting to hope he is gone before the second round pick. I haven't been this sure about us taking a guy in the second since we rook Sam Williams in the second. Our love for him was very obvious about this time.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Huh, sounds like you guys are generally happy with Guyton. He was the one player I really didn't want. Elite movement with no upper body strength/skills. I wanted JPJ or Frazier. Love the trade down though. Fan-fucking-tastic.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Huh, sounds like you guys are generally happy with Guyton. He was the one player I really didn't want. Elite movement with no upper body strength/skills. I wanted JPJ or Frazier. Love the trade down though. Fan-fucking-tastic.
Technically speaking I think he is kind of all over the place. But there is also something to be said for giving up no sacks as a blind side protector while not being technically sound. I trust this teams judgment on Olineman. And I have trust in this one as well. Glad to also hear that we were high on Barton. Makes me feel comfortable that they at least recognized him as an excellent talent for our needs as well.

I can't say enough how important that extra third is for a team that lost so much. Now we need to nail day two. We don't have the margin of error to get cute. My prediction is Brooks. I hope he is gone. Nothing against Brooks but it just feels like our typical second round mistake. We can't take risks with our many needs still left.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
He didn't give up a sack last year, he definitely has to get stronger and improve his technique but he was particularly good in pass protection in his limited playing time.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Everyone this late in the first at a premium position has some warts or imperfections, though. At least this guy has the natural size and feet, which is the hardest thing to find.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
No JPJ lovers out there? I really want a top tier center who can maul. I'm not sure what the health issues are.

:shrug

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Top Bottom