2024 Draft Weekend Chatter Thread

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Literally every single mock this morning, including a few relatively plugged in types like Schrager and Breer, have us picking Guyton.

I wouldn't complain about the pick at all, the guy is arguably the second or third best pass pro OT in the draft, but I'd definitely prefer a trade down while snagging someone like Frazier.
I would not like it all that much, but I have been beaten down so bad I would probably talk myself into it.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I would not like it all that much, but I have been beaten down so bad I would probably talk myself into it.
Much like the Tyler pick it'd come down to his work ethic/motivation. If he wants to be great like Tyler does, he'll make a few Pro Bowls, if not, who knows?

For me he's a better LT prospect than Tyler was coming out but you never really know what's going on in their heads.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Literally every single mock this morning, including a few relatively plugged in types like Schrager, Brugler and Breer, have us picking Guyton.
It just makes too much sense. He'll probably be there, he is talented, it's a position of need, and that OU connection can't hurt in Jerry's head. He even played at TCU first.

Like you say, it'll all be about his work ethic/desire, which I don't know about. If he has it, it could work. But he better not be a talented guy who doesn't love the game and isn't dedicated, especially the year after Mazi.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Literally every single mock this morning, including a few relatively plugged in types like Schrager, Brugler and Breer, have us picking Guyton.

I wouldn't complain about the pick at all, the guy is arguably the second or third best pass pro OT in the draft, but I'd definitely prefer a trade down while snagging someone like Frazier.
Frazier is a guy who I'd really love. Especially if we can pick up a couple draft picks. I was thinking if we trade out of the first to the early second, that is the guy I'm targeting.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It just makes too much sense. He'll probably be there, he is talented, it's a position of need, and that OU connection can't hurt in Jerry's head. He even played at TCU first.
I could see it because he has elite potential if someone can coach him up. Hope Duke is ready to develop him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
For me he's a better LT prospect than Tyler was coming out but you never really know what's going on in their heads.
The big difference for me is Tyler destroyed people in college. He just didn't know what he was doing with his hands. But he dominated dudes to the point I think he got holding calls for it. Guyton doesn't really do that. He doesn't destroy people. But size, length, athleticism is about as ideal as it comes for a LT.

I love Frazier and JPJ though. They go out to destroy people. They are just absolute rocks in the middle. And they will finish dudes.

Last edited:

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
The big difference for my is Tyler destroyed people in college. He just didn't know what he was doing with his hands. But he dominated dudes to the point I think he got holding calls for it. Guyton doesn't really do that.
That concerns me, too. Besides dealing with bigger, stronger DEs in the rush, it's hard to see him ever being a very good run blocker.

A part of me wonders if they wouldn't rather have a bigger and stronger guy just because Tyler was such a success and they'd want to duplicate that model as much as possible. But of course being bigger doesn't mean the player would have that rare Tyler country strength, either.

Carp

DCC 4Life
So many teams can just take BPA tonight, but we fucked up in FA so bad that every pick is critical. Feels like whoever we draft tonight is boarding a sinking ship.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That concerns me, too. Besides dealing with bigger, stronger DEs in the rush, it's hard to see him ever being a very good run blocker.

A part of me wonders if they wouldn't rather have a bigger and stronger guy just because Tyler was such a success and they'd want to duplicate that model as much as possible. But of course being bigger doesn't mean the player would have that rare Tyler country strength, either.
Yeah, I think the concern is that he doesn't allow get low enough. It's hard to do when you're what? 6'8"? He is going to need to learn how to sink his hips more when blocking. Otherwise these shorter, more powerful, fast DE's could give him trouble in my opinion. You might be thinking, well Mims is also 6'8" but Mims is powerful. He is also about 20 pounds heavier and just looks a lot stronger.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Mims is a monster, but seems like he is going before our pick, but is this a guy we want at 24? He was great, but missed time with injuries. He’s the guy that intrigues me most at OT.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So many teams can just take BPA tonight, but we fucked up in FA so bad that every pick is critical. Feels like whoever we draft tonight is boarding a sinking ship.
I mean the good news is we really have so many holes we could just go BPA. I mean what positions aren't a need? Corner, safety, QB (I know Dak and all, haha). But otherwise would BPA at any other position really give you heartburn? We sort of did the reverse, we left the roster so thin that just about any BPA at 24 is likely to hit a position of need for us.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I mean the good news is we really have so many holes we could just go BPA. I mean what positions aren't a need? Corner, safety, QB (I know Dak and all, haha). But otherwise would BPA at any other position really give you heartburn? We sort of did the reverse, we left the roster so thin that just about any BPA at 24 is likely to hit a position of need for us.
…and with the 24th pick, the Cowboys select, Bo Nix, QB, Oregon

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
…and with the 24th pick, the Cowboys select, Bo Nix, QB, Oregon
I know you're just joking but I really don't get the Bo Nix love. The guy looks like total trash to me. If he somehow becomes a successful NFL QB I'll just stop judging QBs. Just a pure dink and dunk college QB who honestly looks like shit to me any time he can't throw the ball immediately on some schemed up play. I'd have like a late day three grade on the dude if I were an NFL team. I see more hope for Spencer Rattler.

Carp

DCC 4Life
So who is everyone’s favorite RB? Who we rooting to draft? Brooks is always linked, Wright too, I got a thing for Corum/Allen.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
So who is everyone’s favorite RB? Who we rooting to draft? Brooks is always linked, Wright too, I got a thing for Corum/Allen.
Mine is Benson.

Top Bottom