2024 Cowboys Free Agency Thread

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
I think there are WRs that will be available in the third this year that are better than Tolbert. This draft is kind of insane at WR.

But are we really going to go OL, WR and RB in the first 3? Feels like that's a real abandonment of defense.
You weren't impressed with the improvement he made from year to year 2?

(How do you post just the table?)

Half of his receptions were for 1st downs. If Cooks and (to a lesser extent) Turpin can be the deep threats, with Lamb working the middle, he could be the "move the sticks" receiver (who has the ability to gain "chunks"). He also did well blocking downfield. Could he replicate a Crayton, Browm, or Wilson career? Or better?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

(How do you post just the table?)

Half of his receptions were for 1st downs. If Cooks and (to a lesser extent) Turpin can be the deep threats, with Lamb working the middle, he could be the "move the sticks" receiver (who has the ability to gain "chunks"). He also did well blocking downfield. Could he replicate a Crayton, Browm, or Wilson career? Or better?
The guy is fool’s gold.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well he did show a hell of a lot of improvement. But man the starting point was insanely low. Am I ready to call him our number 3. Not really but I do think he can play now without being embarrassed. I actually kind of like Brooks too. But Cooks wasn't that great last year. He had his moments but we almost need a guy who is a legit number 2.

In the end its just a stacked WR class. Guys who I think most years would be graded as late firsts will go second round. Guys who would go second round will go third. All down the line it's just a lot of really good WRs.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't have much of an issue with any of the guys they've let go in a vacuum for a variety of reasons.

Biadasz - never would've given him 10/year
Armstrong - never would've given him 15/year
Gallimore - lol
Pollard - 8 was a bit more than I would've been willing to offer

The only exception in terms of money is Tyron, I would've been happy to give him the deal he got, but I understand the idea of ripping off the bandaid when you're staring at literally the strongest OL group in a 1st round in at least 10-15 years.

The real problem is that we're nearly a week into FA and the only external move they've made is Kendricks, and while I'm a big fan of the move, you can't ignore the totality of the snaps that we've lost. I get that some of those guys will naturally be replaced through the draft but to sit on your hands and do literally nothing in FA beyond signing a LB after you've lost 4 starters at other positions, and another key roleplayer in Armstrong, is laughable.

I'm sure they'll do something here and there but it's pretty obvious the front office (Stephen/Jerry primarily) are looking at this year as a bit of a reset, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was a bit of a negotiating ploy with Prescott. No other franchise could operate as recklessly, but as Jerry would say, that's the "unique benefit" of the sort of structure this moron has set up here.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Gallimore - wouldve paid him to go. But hey, dont we get a comp pick out of it ?

GShock

DCC 4Life
Well he did show a hell of a lot of improvement. But man the starting point was insanely low. Am I ready to call him our number 3. Not really but I do think he can play now without being embarrassed. I actually kind of like Brooks too. But Cooks wasn't that great last year. He had his moments but we almost need a guy who is a legit number 2.

In the end its just a stacked WR class. Guys who I think most years would be graded as late firsts will go second round. Guys who would go second round will go third. All down the line it's just a lot of really good WRs.
…which we will be unable to take advantage of because we will be forcing picks at C, LT/LG, and RB.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
…which we will be unable to take advantage of because we will be forcing picks at C, LT/LG, and RB.
I mean we have to add some guys at some point right? I mean just from a numbers perspective we have no depth anywhere. The problem is I hate to continue to kick draft picks for veterans. We then end up like a year like this one where we have no fourth, fifth or sixth (yeah the comps gave us a fifth and sixth but it feels like now is not the time to be missing those)

I really have no idea why we are still sitting on our asses. Everyone else is basically done in free agency. Go add something.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I really have no idea why we are still sitting on our asses. Everyone else is basically done in free agency. Go add something.
I was hoping they’d shore up critical needs at least before the draft, but it looks like they are going to wait for the post draft cuts with the assumption that they take their starting LT and RB April 25- 27th.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
it looks like they are going to wait for the post draft cuts with the assumption that they take their starting LT and RB April 25- 27th.
MuSt prEseRVe CoMp PiCkS!

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was hoping they’d shore up critical needs at least before the draft, but it looks like they are going to wait for the post draft cuts with the assumption that they take their starting LT and RB April 25- 27th.
That's just such an ass backwards, blind hope way of doing things. You have no idea who is going to be available after the draft. And you know what, other teams are going to do the same damn thing. Oh you missed out on DT in the draft? Those other teams are going to look to plug those remaining holes too. But they aren't starting the draft with no RBs, no starting DT, no starting center, no third WR... They are just looking for their fourth DT on the depth chart.

Top Bottom