2024 Cowboys Free Agency Thread

Clff15701

DCC 4Life
We lost a starting WR and LBer? You really think Gallup and LVE were starters? LVE played 5 games. Gallup was barely even our third WR last year and was awful.

LT, Center and RB I get. Corner is borderline but is Gilmore gone? Plus we lose Gilmore but by that shitty logic we gain a probowl corner in Diggs.
Yea, I’m looking at it more from a depth perspective. We know that we have guys injured at LB and the Line every year so we really can’t replace all of those spots with one draft. Also, Hankins could leave as well which would open holes all over the team. It doesn’t look good. We basically have to nail every pick as a starter and I just don’t see it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The DL needs work, we only lost Armstrong and Gallimore but we needed more at DT to begin with and now need a rotational edge rusher as well.
The losses are minimal. I really am not concerned about losing any of these guys.

What is concerning is that we have added no one but Kendricks. Like sometimes you need even just some decent guys to fill spots. We didn't even try to do that. Like you are banking way too heavily on the draft and needing certain positions. I honestly could draft a Oline, RB and WR and feel great about the offense. But like you said, holy shit you've now done nothing on defense to improve except Kendricks. Again, why you sort of need to fill some holes in free agency. Like maybe a DT or DE? Maybe at least one more serviceable Olineman? Oh yeah maybe a reliable RB who can pick up a blitz?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The losses are minimal. I really am not concerned about losing any of these guys.

What is concerning is that we have added no one but Kendricks. Like sometimes you need even just some decent guys to fill spots. We didn't even try to do that. Like you are banking way too heavily on the draft and needing certain positions. I honestly could draft a Oline, RB and WR and feel great about the offense. But like you said, holy shit you've now done nothing on defense to improve except Kendricks. Again, why you sort of need to fill some holes in free agency. Like maybe a DT or DE? Maybe at least one more serviceable Olineman? Oh yeah maybe a reliable RB who can pick up a blitz?

The losses are replaceable but I don't think I would call them minimal. Center is a real issue, as is DT, as is pass rush, possibly guard or tackle. RB is alarming.

And that's just to get back to where we were.

And by the way, where we were was clearly not good enough.

Good times.

This is why people are mad. Because of how minimally we approach free agency, and because of how limited and random the draft can be, we'll struggle to get back to the point we ended the season at.

It would be a miracle if we improved over last season, and last season ended in extreme disappointment.

It's hard to see how we'd ever get better - whether this season or in future years - with this approach.

It's very very frustrating.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Even if all of that works out, it's a high wire act without a net.

Imagine we get an injury or two along the OL.

What now, Stephen?
Except for Tyler, the OL is a total crap shot. They don't seem to give a damn about a running game that literally doesn't even exist.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The losses are replaceable but I don't think I would call them minimal. Center is a real issue, as is DT, as is pass rush, possibly guard or tackle. RB is alarming.
I guess in a way I'm saying the same thing. Meaning the losses aren't what I consider significant players. Certainly you could say Tyron is a significant loss but everyone else was basically a player we needed to upgrade from. And with Tyron we prepared for that two years ago when we nailed a first round pick on Tyler Smith. We literally drafted the guy for this purpose.

But RB is alarming. I don't consider Pollard a big loss. But you basically have no RB on the roster (Sorry Duece). No one that you can start and rely on. Even if they aren't great. I'm all about drafting that guy. I wanted to last year. But you have to have someone you can look at and count that he can pick up a blitz, not fumble the ball and get you a few yards. Now we absolutely have to draft a RB in the first 3 rounds. Maybe even second now.

Clff15701

DCC 4Life
I don’t even see the point of signing Dak now. We weren’t good enough before and if we draft someone we get the rookie contract or a cheaper contract if lance works out.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep. A lot of our issues right now are residuals from poor drafting last year. A few good picks would have left us with answers for guys that we are scrambling to replace right now.
Imagine if we took a RB instead of a TE last year? What if Mazi was a legit NT? How about anyone but Fehoko? Overshown is the only guy that I look at and go, he may have an impact in 2024. Hope I'm wrong on the other 3 but I feel like we needed to find 2 good starters out of those three picks. What the hell was the point of a second TE that high. I get the positions of the other two, just the wrong guys. But backup TE in the second?

GShock

DCC 4Life
I guess in a way I'm saying the same thing. Meaning the losses aren't what I consider significant players. Certainly you could say Tyron is a significant loss but everyone else was basically a player we needed to upgrade from. And with Tyron we prepared for that two years ago when we nailed a first round pick on Tyler Smith. We literally drafted the guy for this purpose.
That’s fine, but step 1 was the easy part.

I guess we wait on step 2.

Top Bottom