2024 Cowboys Free Agency Thread

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
According to Ghelken these dumbos are apparently going to sign a FA or two this week, if that's the case I'd hope it's someone like Teair Tart, Mike Danna, Tyus Bowser, Yannick Ngakoue, JK Dobbins or Carl Lawson.

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
According to Ghelken these dumbos are apparently going to sign a FA or two this week, if that's the case I'd hope it's someone like Teair Tart, Mike Danna, Tyus Bowser, Yannick Ngakoue, JK Dobbins or Carl Lawson.
Sorry, but so what? If none of it is done with the intention of making the team better, because the owners have no incentive to make the team better, what difference does any of it make?

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
None probably, so what's even the point of being a fan? Of discussing anything that happens with the team here?
Good question. The operating assumption used to be that the fans and the owners had to same aspirations. The owners might have been dumb and incompetent and cheap in achieving those aspirations, but at least everyone wanted the same thing.

Now it turns out that the owners don't share those aspirations. In fact, they're disincentivized financially in investing sufficient funds to ever reach those goals. The fans want one thing, the owners want something very different.

So, what is the point of being a fan?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Good question. The operating assumption used to be that the fans and the owners had to same aspirations. The owners might have been dumb and incompetent and cheap in achieving those aspirations, but at least everyone wanted the same thing.

Now it turns out that the owners don't share those aspirations. In fact, they're disincentivized financially in investing sufficient funds to ever reach those goals. The fans want one thing, the owners want something very different.

So, what is the point of being a fan?
Who knows, you tell me.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Right. Still #1 on the Forbes list by a mile.
No doubt, and even though these rednecks can’t monetize without selling, they market the shit out of it.

Once he sealed the deal with “Purcells” to get public stadium funding, Jerry almost doesn’t have to try anymore. They suck at winning playoff games, but man, they know how to milk every penny they can from marketing the Cowboys.

They made over 500 million (before taxes) in operating income in 2022, and over a three year period made double that of the next sports team, the NE Patriots, with some soccer team a distant third. And in honesty, some does go back into the business—they built The Star (again with a lot of public money and co-ownership by the city of Frisco), and refurbished ATT stadium with another 295 million— though they absolutely make money from these investments from naming rights, private clubs, retail shops, and tours.

So where does all of that money go? Even with all their high living expenses like the yacht and jet, can they really not spend another 50-60 million on players? Can it honestly be that much abject greed??

I would love to see where Jerry spends the windfall ATT Stadium and the Cowboys have landed him, especially in recent years.

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
Since themid-90s, the story-line has always been that Jerry was desperate to erase the perception of Jimmy Johnson as the architect of that era of the Cowboys' success — that he would do anything, whatever it took, to supplant Jimmy Johnson in the eyes of the fans. Now we know that's a myth. At some point following Stephen's ascension to the FO, it became all about ROI. A certain level of success mattered in maintaining the brand, but the Holy Grail of Jimmy's SB success no longer did.

Money spent on the Cowboys' payroll was money wasted because it would earn a better return someplace else.

Last edited:

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
So where does all of that money go? Even with all their high living expenses like the yacht and jet, can they really not spend another 50-60 million on players? Can it honestly be that much abject greed??

I would love to see where Jerry spends the windfall ATT Stadium and the Cowboys have landed him, especially in recent years.
But you know how really wealthy people think, especially those who made it themselves... They don't think I've made enough. It's just in them to keep making more.

Much smaller scale than Jerry, but one of my best friends knew a guy who invented specialized oil field equipment that made him worth hundreds of millions of dollars. Many years ago, he calculated how much money ordering tea or a Coke with a meal would cost him over his lifetime, so when he ate out all he ever drank was water. Even after he was worth nine figures.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
But you know how really wealthy people think, especially those who made it themselves... They don't think I've made enough. It's just in them to keep making more.

Much smaller scale than Jerry, but one of my best friends knew a guy who invented specialized oil field equipment that made him worth hundreds of millions of dollars. Many years ago, he calculated how much money ordering tea or a Coke with a meal would cost him over his lifetime, so when he ate out all he ever drank was water. Even after he was worth nine figures.
Yea it's a borderline mental disorder, probably rooted in some resource guarding subconscious instinct established 10,000 years ago.

shane

DCC 4Life
No doubt, and even though these rednecks can’t monetize without selling, they market the shit out of it.

Once he sealed the deal with “Purcells” to get public stadium funding, Jerry almost doesn’t have to try anymore. They suck at winning playoff games, but man, they know how to milk every penny they can from marketing the Cowboys.

They made over 500 million (before taxes) in operating income in 2022, and over a three year period made double that of the next sports team, the NE Patriots, with some soccer team a distant third. And in honesty, some does go back into the business—they built The Star (again with a lot of public money and co-ownership by the city of Frisco), and refurbished ATT stadium with another 295 million— though they absolutely make money from these investments from naming rights, private clubs, retail shops, and tours.

It takes discipline to earn a shitload of money, and the self-made rich don't lose that discipline after they get that money. Usually it's their entitled kids who piss it all away.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
But they have more family money than they'll ever be able to spend ...
Read the thread.

It says their other businesses have become more important to the family than the Cowboys and the Cowboys return the least profit for every dollar invested. So they won’t invest more in the Cowboys even though they can.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Is there a place for Lael Collins? Given our paucity of tackles right now and the fact that he'll likely cost close to the minimum, he might be worth bringing in as the swing tackle. Or at least bringing in to camp and seeing what he looks like.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is there a place for Lael Collins? Given our paucity of tackles right now and the fact that he'll likely cost close to the minimum, he might be worth bringing in as the swing tackle. Or at least bringing in to camp and seeing what he looks like.
I hate to say it but I agree. He can play tackle/guard and probably be no worse than Steele was last year. Beggers can't be choosers at this point. Wouldn't surprise me if he is sort of a late offseason signing after the draft.

Top Bottom