2024 Cowboys Free Agency Thread

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If it were me the rest of FA would look like this:

Internally: re-sign Tyron, Hankins and Gilmore or Lewis (not both unless Lewis is crazy cheap)
Externally:

DE/Edge - one of Mike Danna, DJ Wonnum, Tyus Bowser, Carl Lawson, Dawuane Smoot, Rasheem Green, James Smith-Williams, K'Lavon Chaisson, Charles Harris (in order of preference)
DT - one of Arik Armstead, DJ Reader, Adam Butler, Quinton Jefferson, Greg Gaines, Teair Tart (in order)
RB - one of AJ Dillon, D'Onta Foreman, JK Dobbins, Alex Mattison (in order)

Some of those guys are probably unrealistic (Armstead particularly) but if we just got DJ Wonnum, Adam Butler and D'Onta Foreman, which is a very modest haul overall, it'd still probably be our best FA class in years.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Just watched the all-22 of Kendricks last year against the Chiefs (first game), Ravens and Packers.

First, I loved Kendricks coming out in 2015 to the point that I thought he should be a strong consideration in the last first that year. I think for his career he's just a notch below the "generational" LB's of his era in terms of Kuechly, Wagner and Warner, so I'm a bit biased in terms of being a fan of his for a while.

With that said, the guy still looks really good overall. It's clear he's not quite as explosive or dynamic as he was in his prime, but it's not a massive drop off to where he looks like a liability or anything. He doesn't quite have the elite range to go sideline to sideline anymore, and you don't want him in coverage against elite TE's/receiving RB's 20 yards downfield, although you probably never did in an ideal world.

Aside from that the majority of his game looks intact:
  • Very gap sound against the run with good patience, as opposed to some of our LB's who look like chickens running around with their heads cut off at times
  • Doesn't shy away from contact and consistently engages OL square with physicality, if he isn't able to make the play directly himself he's happy to "muddy up" running lanes by just wedging himself in space to close/constrict lanes and force RB's to hesitate or bounce
  • Despite not being at his athletic peak can still make plays against the run towards the outside due to his anticipation and the angles he takes to the ball
  • Excellent feel in zone within about 10 yards, pattern matches well, reads through targets leaving his area with an eye on new targets moving into his zone
  • Still effective as a blitzer, wins more often than not when 1:1 vs. RB's in blitz pickup
  • Instincts overall in both phases are generally excellent, as expected
You never know when someone in their 30's can drop off so anything can happen at his age, but if we're getting the guy who played last year he'll easily be our best LB since probably rookie Vander Esch or later years Sean Lee.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just watched the all-22 of Kendricks last year against the Chiefs (first game), Ravens and Packers.

First, I loved Kendricks coming out in 2015 to the point that I thought he should be a strong consideration in the last first that year. I think for his career he's just a notch below the "generational" LB's of his era in terms of Kuechly, Wagner and Warner, so I'm a bit biased in terms of being a fan of his for a while.

With that said, the guy still looks really good overall. It's clear he's not quite as explosive or dynamic as he was in his prime, but it's not a massive drop off to where he looks like a liability or anything. He doesn't quite have the elite range to go sideline to sideline anymore, and you don't want him in coverage against elite TE's/receiving RB's 20 yards downfield, although you probably never did in an ideal world.

Aside from that the majority of his game looks intact:
  • Very gap sound against the run with good patience, as opposed to some of our LB's who look like chickens running around with their heads cut off at times
  • Doesn't shy away from contact and consistently engages OL square with physicality, if he isn't able to make the play directly himself he's happy to "muddy up" running lanes by just wedging himself in space to close/constrict lanes and force RB's to hesitate or bounce
  • Despite not being at his athletic peak can still make plays against the run towards the outside due to his anticipation and the angles he takes to the ball
  • Excellent feel in zone within about 10 yards, pattern matches well, reads through targets leaving his area with an eye on new targets moving into his zone
  • Still effective as a blitzer, wins more often than not when 1:1 vs. RB's in blitz pickup
  • Instincts overall in both phases are generally excellent, as expected
You never know when someone in their 30's can drop off so anything can happen at his age, but if we're getting the guy who played last year he'll easily be our best LB since probably rookie Vander Esch or later years Sean Lee.
Nice write up. Obviously shouldn't stop us from taking a LBer but at least it's not one of like 4 positions that must be addressed in the first 3 rounds. Now if we could do that at RB, DT and Oline that would be great

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Nice write up. Obviously shouldn't stop us from taking a LBer but at least it's not one of like 4 positions that must be addressed in the first 3 rounds. Now if we could do that at RB, DT and Oline that would be great
Yea, if the plan is to play Parsons as a traditional LB say, 25% of the time, I think we might be fine at LB with Kendricks, Clark, Overshown and a part-time Parsons.

I'd still take a guy like Cooper or Payton Wilson in the 2nd depending on the board and what other glaring holes exist that the team refused to fill through FA, but I think we'd probably be passable enough without adding anything else.

People love to bash Clark but the guy played 73% of the snaps as a 2nd year player on a decent defense, no reason he can't be our 2nd or 3rd LB.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Works for me.

I think Gilmore is supposed to be out for something like 4-6 months, I wouldn't be surprised if they know it's a foregone conclusion that he'll be back once he's healthy and they're just waiting to see where he's at physically in a few months before re-signing him.

I doubt Gilmore would go anywhere else at this point, I just hope they don't lose their heads in the draft if Wiggins is there and say "thanks but no thanks" to Gilmore.

Top Bottom