2024 1st Round Pick - Tyler Guyton, OT, Oklahoma

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is this supposed to be negative?

We already know he's average in the run game but that's not why he was a 1st rounder, and most of those plays that were supposed negatives were stalemates at worst despite sloppy hand placement and overall usage.
Yeah I don't think Voch is what I would call negative on the guy. He is just critical in that he points out the strengths and weaknesses. But anybody who has listened to Voch before knows he doesn't like raw O-line prospects. He didn't like Tyler Smith either. He literally calls himself a high floor guy. So Tyler in general probably isn't his cup of tea. But he loves Tyler Smith now. And he will Guyton too if he takes to coaching well. I really hope the guy gets in with the Duke Manyweather guy who worked with Tyler right after we drafted him. I think that guy is really good at teaching technique to our guys.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Is this supposed to be negative?

We already know he's average in the run game but that's not why he was a 1st rounder, and most of those plays that were supposed negatives were stalemates at worst despite sloppy hand placement and overall usage.

Yeah I don't think it's as negative as he seems to think it is. I think most of the issues are fixable. Obviously the size and athleticism are there in spades.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Yeah I don't think Voch is what I would call negative on the guy. He is just critical in that he points out the strengths and weaknesses. But anybody who has listened to Voch before knows he doesn't like raw O-line prospects. He didn't like Tyler Smith either. He literally calls himself a high floor guy. So Tyler in general probably isn't his cup of tea. But he loves Tyler Smith now. And he will Guyton too if he takes to coaching well. I really hope the guy gets in with the Duke Manyweather guy who worked with Tyler right after we drafted him. I think that guy is really good at teaching technique to our guys.
Duke!

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
The Ticket has different people do quick rundowns of the players when they're drafted, and Manyweather did some of the OL last night, which was pretty cool.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
These are the three games I watched of Guyton prior to the draft that molded my opinion on him. He's uneven against the run (but actually very good in the Oklahoma St. game) but the pass protection is what really sets him apart.

In these three games there were about 80 plays that I'd call pure pass pro sets, where I'm excluding some passes that are based off RPO-type action and quick game/tunnel screen stuff. Over those 80 plays or so I'd say there are at most 7 that I'd call losses where he gets beat, although he doesn't give up a single QB hit or sack.

Some of the competition isn't great but he went up against the best edge rusher from Texas a few times and Collin Oliver from Oklahoma St. who will get drafted next year.

Some of these reps are only so-so, but if you watch 2-3 games of someone like Jordan Morgan or Sumataia I guarantee you you'll see much worse. Morgan got whipped a bunch of times for sacks/QB hits in the clips that I watched of him, Sumataia was murdered against Texas who Guyton held up very well against, and even Tyler Smith was beaten for sacks/penalties a number of times when I looked at his last year in college after we drafted him.

There's plenty of technical issues to iron out but the natural pass protection ability is excellent, and if he has the same sort of work ethic/motivation that Tyler has I'm sure he'll be at least a borderline Pro Bowler.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Ticket has different people do quick rundowns of the players when they're drafted, and Manyweather did some of the OL last night, which was pretty cool.
He is an intense dude but I think he does a great job. He is also the guy who was very serious about not moving Tyler back to LT. His comments in his interview with Voch about Hoffman are kind of telling to me too. He didn't sound that fired up about Hoffman who he is also working with. Just sort of like, yeah, he works hard, he comes in every day and puts in the work. Hearing it definitely gave the lunch pail vibe and nothing more.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
We won the first round.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

Top Bottom