2023 Season | Week 8 | Gameday Chatter Thread | Rams @ Cowboys | 10/29/2023

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I despise noon games so we get my luck with the gameday thread.

You are welcome.

@data what is my record?

Stars

DCC 4Life
We're gonna beat the shit out of the rams. That is all.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys vs. Rams, Week 8: What to watch after the bye, trade talk and score prediction
INGLEWOOD, CALIFORNIA - OCTOBER 22: Puka Nacua #17 of the Los Angeles Rams reacts to his play for a first down in front of Cooper Kupp #10 during a 24-17 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers at SoFi Stadium on October 22, 2023 in Inglewood, California. (Photo by Harry How/Getty Images)

By Jon Machota and Saad Yousuf
Oct 28, 2023

The Athletic has live coverage of Cowboys vs. Rams

Have the Dallas Cowboys put the Week 5 disaster against the San Francisco 49ers behind them?

They bounced back with a road win against the Los Angeles Chargers and had last week as their bye. The Los Angeles Rams (3-4) come to AT&T Stadium with plenty of questions of their own, but with one of the NFL’s best passing attacks and with future Hall of Famer Aaron Donald in the middle of the defense, they should present another challenge for the Cowboys (4-2).

We asked The Athletic’s Jon Machota and Saad Yousuf what they expect Sunday, whether they think Dallas will make a trade before the Oct. 31 deadline and to predict the outcome of the game. Here’s what they said:

1. What is the biggest thing you’ll be watching Sunday from the Cowboys after their bye week?

Machota: Can they get the run game going? The Cowboys are averaging 3.9 yards per rush this season. That number needs to be closer to 4.5. The Rams are allowing opponents a 4.1 average. Tony Pollard hasn’t run well the last three games. They need to get him going early. This is expected to be the third consecutive game with Dallas’ best five offensive linemen in the starting lineup. That should help. For Mike McCarthy’s offense to have success, it starts with running the ball. To this point, they’re just not good enough in that area. In last year’s game against the Rams, Pollard and Ezekiel Elliott combined for 30 carries, 164 yards and a touchdown.

Yousuf: Coming out of most games so far, there has been a rotating list of questions. One week it could be CeeDee Lamb’s involvement in the offense; the next week it could be Michael Gallup’s drops. It could be the reliability of the offensive line or the ability of the running back. It would be nice to see the Cowboys put everything together. The offensive line is with their best five, the top trio of receivers and top two tight ends are there, as is Tony Pollard. They can’t all have huge games, but they can all come out of the game without a question mark hanging over their heads.
https://theathletic.com/5003480/2023/10/27/dallas-cowboys-dak-prescott-critics/
2. The Rams are averaging the seventh-most passing yards per game. How big of a problem do Matthew Stafford, Cooper Kupp and Puka Nacua pose?

Machota: They pose a huge problem. But it can be solved up front with a big day from Micah Parsons and company. In Dallas’ 22-10 win over the Rams last season, Parsons had two of the Cowboys’ five sacks of Stafford. He’s the least-mobile quarterback they have faced this season. They should be able to put pressure on him and limit some of the big plays. The Rams are going to score. They’re averaging 22 points per game. One of those wide receivers is probably going to have a nice day on the stat sheet. The Cowboys have to make sure that both don’t go off.

Yousuf: It’s certainly a problem and should not be diminished or overlooked, but it shouldn’t feel overly daunting to the Cowboys. They have the personnel to combat a strong passing game, with a quality defensive front led by Micah Parsons and DeMarcus Lawrence, among others, and two great cornerbacks, Stephon Gilmore and DaRon Bland. The support around those pillars is strong, too. Stafford is limited in his mobility, which, on paper, plays into the strengths of the Cowboys’ defense. An opposing offense with an elite running game would feel like a much bigger mountain than one with a great passing game.

Cowboys kicker Brandon Aubrey has made all 16 of his field goal attempts this season. (Kirby Lee / USA Today)

3. Going into the Week 8 matchup versus the Rams, which Cowboys player has been the biggest surprise — good or bad — through the first six games?

Machota: Brandon Aubrey. It’s a tough call between Aubrey and linebacker/safety Markquese Bell, who is fourth on the team in tackles, but the edge goes to the kicker. My expectations entering training camp were that Dallas would probably have multiple kickers this season. But Aubrey has been the answer up to this point. The rookie hasn’t missed a field goal (16-for-16), which includes two from 50-plus yards. He missed his first extra point but has made all 12 since. He has far exceeded my expectations.

Yousuf: Beyond the guys Jon mentioned, Bland is a good surprise for me. There was excitement about his game after his surprise rookie season last year, but it was more about his being a quality No. 3 corner on this team. Instead, he got thrust into the No. 2 role filling in for All-Pro Trevon Diggs, has done an admirable job and can be relied upon. On the other side, Michael Gallup is the longest-tenured receiver on the team and over a year removed from returning from his ACL injury. I’d like to see him have more production than what he’s had, especially given the opportunities.

4. If you were Jerry Jones, would you make a deal before next week’s trade deadline, and if so, what position would you target?

Machota: Yes, I would do everything in my power to upgrade the roster if I were Jones. Regarding the position, it depends on the players available. They could use help at offensive line, running back, wide receiver, linebacker or cornerback. But, for example, if someone elite were available like Rams star defensive tackle Aaron Donald for a reasonable price, I’d have to make that deal. Since that seems very unlikely, I’ll say Tennessee Titans running back Derrick Henry. He’d be a good complement to Pollard and help get the running game closer to where it needs to be.

Yousuf: I wouldn’t force a trade, but I wouldn’t be as passive about it as Jones has made it sound this week. There are positions to upgrade, but for me, it’s not so much about the position as much as it is the area of the game. For example, the two areas I would bolster are the running game and the run defense. Does adding to the run defense mean adding a linebacker or a defensive tackle? For the running game, it probably lends pretty clearly to a running back, now that the offensive line is intact. But Mike McCarthy has said clearly the identity of this team is the defense, so that’s where I would add more talent.
https://theathletic.com/4995909/2023/10/25/cowboys-trade-deadline-candidates/
5. Prediction?

Machota: Cowboys 27, Rams 20. The Cowboys have won their last 10 at home. They should have a very healthy roster coming out of their bye week. And it’s a more talented roster than what the Rams will be bringing to AT&T Stadium. I expect Parsons to have one of his best games of the year. Do everything to prevent Donald from completely wrecking things up front, and Dallas should improve to 5-2.

Yousuf: Playing against an established top-level quarterback, Justin Herbert, right before the bye week should help the Cowboys going into this game against Stafford. They were able to rattle Herbert, so there’s reason to believe they can do it to Stafford as well. At 11-5, Mike McCarthy has historically been very good in his career coming out of a bye week and the Cowboys have been very good at home. Cowboys 24, Rams 20.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
God, I hate noon games.

Top Bottom