2023 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
My son is an Eagles fan.

But I dropped him on his head when he was little, so he has an excuse.
Sounds like he is just trying to piss you off.
My one son who actually pays attention to football wanted to root for a different team when he was younger. He liked the ravens and titans. I told him just not in our division or the patriots.

he follows the Cowboys now that he is an adult.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's a dumb concept. You want to go out and get the ball to prevent the DB from having a chance to knock it away.
Irvin would use his frame better than anyone, but it wasn’t like he let every pass get to his body.

Chocolate Lab

csn this hash tomo
TO had that flaw too where he wouldn't even put his pinkies or thumbs together when catching the ball, which is one reason it would get through to his body. How can you be a pro (with a good work ethic) for that long and not fix that most basic error? :doh

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Irvin would use his frame better than anyone, but it wasn’t like he let every pass get to his body.
This is the perfect example. Had he not extended his arms to get this it gets knocked away.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Mike isn't saying catch every ball with your body first as a technique. But of course, Mike isn't a good speaker in terms of being instructional so of course an idiot like Richard Sherman who isn't very smart to begin with isn't going to understand a nuanced argument because it's not being presented well to begin with.

But he's saying you have to be comfortable body catching in situations where it's not advantageous to catch with your hands, and he's probably right.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Not sure which of those 25 you are referencing, but #1 on the list is a pure body catch.
I was trying to post it from the time of the video where he catches the ball in traffic with his arms extended. I guess it didn't post that way. There is a time to body catch, but Irvin would just manipulate his body to fend off the defender. But he is a rare specimen. It's bad advice.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
And actually his first TD in Super Bowl 27 (#1 on that list was his 2nd) was a body catch too.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Mike isn't saying catch every ball with your body first as a technique. But of course, Mike isn't a good speaker in terms of being instructional so of course an idiot like Richard Sherman who isn't very smart to begin with isn't going to understand a nuanced argument because it's not being presented well to begin with.

But he's saying you have to be comfortable body catching in situations where it's not advantageous to catch with your hands, and he's probably right.
This is why that the idea fans have floated for Irvin to coach has been silly. He does not have the temperament.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah it's one of those things where you don't want to teach players to body catch. Sure there are times where using your body is advantageous but in the heat of the moment you want a player to default to using their hands and not their body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom