2023 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If Williams and/or Odighizuwa make a jump and the rest of the defense stays relatively healthy I think this group has the potential to be one of the handful of "generational" type defenses that come along a few times a decade.

Ravens/Bucs/Steelers in the 2000's, Seahawks/Broncos in the 2010's, that sort of group.

• Wow
Reactions: p1_

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If Williams and/or Odighizuwa make a jump and the rest of the defense stays relatively healthy I think this group has the potential to be one of the handful of "generational" type defenses that come along a few times a decade.

Ravens/Bucs/Steelers in the 2000's, Seahawks/Broncos in the 2010's, that sort of group.
Whoa, slow that roll.

I realize you are all Team Mazi Smith, but unless he is the real deal and legitimate right off the bat, this ain't happening.

I don't think he is. He could be. But you don't go from doing what he did at Michigan to doing what they think he is capable of doing overnight.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Whoa, slow that roll.

I realize you are all Team Mazi Smith, but unless he is the real deal and legitimate right off the bat, this ain't happening.

I don't think he is. He could be. But you don't go from doing what he did at Michigan to doing what they think he is capable of doing overnight.
What’s exciting is that Smith has a chance to be very good.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
What’s exciting is that Smith has a chance to be very good.
And he also has a chance to flop.

I get it, he was asked to do certain things in Michigan's defense that did not showcase his abilities.

From what I see, there is a whole lot of projection being done all the way around.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Whoa, slow that roll.

Even if Smith is only an average to above average rookie we still have Hankins and our run defense was very stout when he was in the lineup last year.

Barring injury this defense has no real holes.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Even if Smith is only an average to above average rookie we still have Hankins and our run defense was very stout when he was in the lineup last year.

Barring injury this defense has no real holes.
They are overhyping him already when his job is when pads come on, not before.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
They are overhyping him already when his job is when pads come on, not before.
I don't see the overhyping, it's just the standard chatter around the first rounder in the dead part of the off-season.

But yea, even if he's just average I think our defense still has that potential.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't see the overhyping, it's just the standard chatter around the first rounder in the dead part of the off-season.

But yea, even if he's just average I think our defense still has that potential.
Average as in what? Not Gallimore level?

He could probably do that stepping off the bus.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Average as in what? Not Gallimore level?

He could probably do that stepping off the bus.
Yea I mean average is relative to the type of player and expectations you're talking about, so I'm saying even if he just has an average rookie year for the kind of prospect he is I think the defense still has that potential.

An average rookie season to me would be maybe 20 snaps a game of good but not elite run defense without much of anything as a pass rusher.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yea I mean average is relative to the type of player and expectations you're talking about, so I'm saying even if he just has an average rookie year for the kind of prospect he is I think the defense still has that potential.

An average rookie season to me would be maybe 20 snaps a game of good but not elite run defense without much of anything as a pass rusher.
I just think we are putting a lot into him being something he hasn't shown to date.

I will defer to Camo Hat.

There were just too many times when I have watched him lately where you have to really try hard to find examples of him dominating the LOS outside of short yardage situations.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I just think we are putting a lot into him being something he hasn't shown to date.

I will defer to Camo Hat.

There were just too many times when I have watched him lately where you have to really try hard to find examples of him dominating the LOS outside of short yardage situations.
Are you talking in the run game?

Because I don't think it's a coincidence that they had one of the absolute best run defenses in the country with him being the centerpiece and playing a large number of snaps, not being heavily, heavily rotated like Georgia does.

And I don't think we need much of anything from him as a pass rusher if Williams and/or Odighizuwa makes a leap.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Are you talking in the run game?

Because I don't think it's a coincidence that they had one of the absolute best run defenses in the country with him being the centerpiece and playing a large number of snaps, not being heavily, heavily rotated like Georgia does.

And I don't think we need much of anything from him as a pass rusher if Williams and/or Odighizuwa makes a leap.
There is a big difference in thinking that he is a younger Hankins versus something more, which is exactly as he is being painted into being.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
He better be more than Hankins, even a young one.

ZeroClub

UFA

They could be one of the top 25 defenses of the past 50 years, I think.

It would be wonderful if they were as good as the 2000 Ravens. Only the '85 Bears were better, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom