2023 OTAs and Minicamp Thread...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys camp: Where Micah Parsons will line up, the kicker situation and more
ARLINGTON, TEXAS - DECEMBER 11: Jeff Driskel #6 of the Houston Texans runs with the ball as Micah Parsons #11 of the Dallas Cowboys makes chase in the fourth quarter at AT&T Stadium on December 11, 2022 in Arlington, Texas. (Photo by Sam Hodde/Getty Images)

By Jon Machota
5h ago

FRISCO, Texas — The most notable story coming out of the Cowboys’ rookie minicamp had nothing to do with any of the team’s eight draft picks or the 13 rookie free agents they signed after the draft. No, it was the absence of Mike McCarthy. The Cowboys head coach did not attend the three-day event as he was recovering from a recent back procedure.

He has been taking part in meetings virtually and is expected to return to The Star in time for organized team activities and minicamp. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, defensive coordinator Dan Quinn and special teams coordinator John Fassel each spoke to the entire group of rookies during Saturday’s practice that was open to reporters.

“It’s easy,” Quinn said, “because Mike is always so clear and, ‘Hey, this is what we’re going to do,’ so we had a real vision for what we wanted to get accomplished over this weekend with these guys. It’s mainly just taking those first steps, and I think Mike would fully agree that let’s not miss one step of their development and see what we have and how we communicate and testing them and seeing where they’re at. And then we’ll begin with Mike and everybody else here this week of merging everybody together. So, if there was a time to miss for him, there’s never a time he would feel comfortable, but we all know we got his back and we’ll get him back soon.”
Quinn also cleared up some confusion about where Micah Parsons will be playing during his third season. The two-time All-Pro is not making a full-time move to defensive end. Parsons recently said he was adding some weight this offseason to hold up better while playing against bigger players on the offensive line.
https://theathletic.com/4511843/2023/05/11/dallas-cowboys-schedule-2023/
Parsons played 374 snaps on the defensive line and 498 at linebacker during his rookie season. Last year, he played 738 snaps on the defensive line and 171 at linebacker. He’ll likely spend the majority of time rushing the passer, but he will still get some work at linebacker.

“He’s a pass-rushing linebacker,” Quinn said. “If you ever need position changes, come to me. What I think he was probably trying to say is, ‘I’m really emphasizing some pass rush into my offseason.’”

New OC
All three coordinators spoke with reporters Saturday. It was the first time Brian Schottenheimer was interviewed at The Star since being hired as the team’s new offensive coordinator.

“Look, the system is not broken,” Schottenheimer said. “They’ve won a lot of games here. Mike (McCarthy) has been around for that. They’ve scored a ton of points. I have a ton of respect for (Kellen Moore, Doug Nussmeier, Skip Peete, Joe Philbin) and those guys. I’ve coached with most of those guys before.”

In terms of his goals for the offense, Schottenheimer specifically mentioned being physical, putting players in position to play fast and making opposing defenses cover the entire field.

“The next thing I want to see, which is where we’re kind of focused now, which is fundamentally sound,” he added. “We’re in the process where we can’t get in pads. We can’t hit. We can’t use helmets. We can throw and catch, but really the magic of what you’re trying to do right now in these next couple weeks leading up through the break is to develop those fundamentals.

“I was taught a long time ago that the biggest difference (between) NFL and college is there is so much parity and there’s not a huge difference in talent. So, the players that end up winning the overall one-on-one battles in a 70-play game is a guy that’s got the better foundation of fundamentals to pull from. If I’m Tyler Smith and I’m going up against a great edge rusher and I’ve got really good, sound fundamentals and there’s 70 opportunities, we expect with those fundamentals he should win his fair share, 40-45 of those, whatever it is, because he’s got that base of fundamentals to pull from.”

Schottenheimer said he’s never been in this situation before where he is the offensive coordinator but the head coach will be calling the plays.

“I’m excited about it,” he said. “There’s no ego on my part. I just want to win. … My job is to help prepare our guys, prepare the staff and be in a position to where we feel we can go out there every week and compete and stack a lot of wins together.”
https://theathletic.com/4514772/2023/05/13/nfl-schedule-release-video-rankings/
Latest on kicker

Tristan Vizcaino is the only kicker on the Cowboys’ roster. He’s going to get some competition, but Fassel and company are still trying to figure out who will be added.

Since going undrafted in 2018, Vizcaino has been on the roster of eight NFL teams. He has made 11 of 12 field goals and 15 of 20 extra points in his career. He most recently kicked for the Arizona Cardinals, making both of his field goal attempts and all three extra points last season.

“Well, we got Tristan on the roster,” Fassel said when asked about kicker. “I think anybody else on Earth who is not on the team right now is under consideration. We don’t want to just bring in a camp leg to just kind of get through camp and save somebody. Anybody we bring in here has got to compete with Tristan and we feel has to be a legitimate possibility of being a starting kicker in the NFL.”

Fassel said they are evaluating kickers from free-agent NFL veterans to the XFL and USFL. He mentioned NFL veterans Robbie Gould, Mason Crosby and Ryan Succop. He also didn’t close the door on a potential return of Brett Maher.

“The good thing for us at the kicker spot is just being patient,” Fassel said, “deciding who that second guy is we’re going to bring in whether it’s now or training camp to compete against Tristan. And that might not be the end of it, either. Like we saw last year, the two guys (Jonathan Garibay and Lirim Hajrullahu) we had at OTAs and training camp weren’t the guy, so I think it’s an ongoing process that we got to make a decision before Week 1.”

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Oh hey. Imagine.
I imagine more option routes for this to work.

In the 00sRams/90sCowboys/80sChargers offenses you'd just protect the QB and he'd gun the ball to attack the entire field from the pocket.

That takes good route runners. awesome protection, and really strong QBs who can sling the football accurately and take tough hits.

In the 80s49ers offenses a mobile QB, athletic OL, and RBs who could catch could replace the above with designed sprint plays that used deception to work bigger WRs and athletic TE's open and then fire deep, short, or intermediate crossers.

Given how good a receiver Pollard is, how our QB isn't that strong armed or super durable, how we prioritized Poonmaker, and how we targeted OT's in the draft that could move instead of giant OG's who could roadgrade, I'm guessing our offense will look more like a modernized version of those 49ers offenses.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Given how good a receiver Pollard is, how our QB isn't that strong armed or super durable, how we prioritized Poonmaker, and how we targeted OT's in the draft that could move instead of giant OG's who could roadgrade, I'm guessing our offense will look more like a modernized version of those 49ers offenses.
Just because I think I forgot to mention it before... McClay pretty much said in one of the post-draft interviews that McCarthy was behind this move of moving OTs to guard. McClay said something like Mike told him even though guards are typically stronger and battling bigger players inside, you still have to maintain your length, athleticism, and quick feet in there.

I'm kind of coming around to this also. I think because Larry Allen was such a legend here, that's who I always go to -- the blocky, incredibly strong guy. But the guys who can really move their feet and get in great position can be super effective, too. They just may not look as spectacular doing it.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
We've been targeting college OT's, usually LT's, to kick inside for a while now. Martin is the clear example but we did the same thing with Connor Williams and even Tyler Smith to an extent. I think they even planned on crosstraining Chaz Green between LT/LG when they took him.

The only "pure OG" we drafted in the top 3 rounds over the last 10 years was McGovern.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Offseason | 2023
5 Key Position Battles For Cowboys Offense
May 23, 2023 at 12:23 PM
Walker_Patrik-HS22

Patrik Walker
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas — Now that NFL rookies have had their time to acclimate absent veterans, it's time for the position battles to get underway as the Dallas Cowboys fire up OTAs (Organized Team Activities) ahead of Memorial Day. The veterans are now in the building and on the field with the first-year players and coaches are leveling up their playbook installs, so the rubber is now beginning to meet the road this offseason.

As things rapidly build toward minicamp and ultimately training camp in July and the preseason in August, the offensive side of the ball is the one that carries the most questions for the Cowboys — some positions having been upgraded while others feel less so, and are instead leaning heavily on needing someone to step up and lead the charge.

In assessing each role on offense, it's not hard to understand just how much needs to be figured out over the next three months.

Quarterback: The new rule regarding teams carrying an emergency quarterback has to have Will Grier smiling, considering it virtually guarantee he'll be suited up for each game in 2023, but he'll need to have another stellar training camp — this time without suffering injury — if he hopes to actually get onto the field ahead of a healthy Cooper Rush in the event Dak Prescott is injured; challenging Rush for the role of QB2. And since the Cowboys have yet to sign another quarterback for developmental purposes, it's Rush's job to lose at QB2 and Grier's job to take … if he can.

Running back: The decision to part ways with Ezekiel Elliott creates a gargantuan void that needs to be filled somehow opposite Tony Pollard, and the first nod there likely goes to Ronald Jones, a two-time Super Bowl winner signed this offseason. Enter rookie dynamo Deuce Vaughn though, who will make it insanely difficult to keep off of the field in RB2-focused situations, but who'll also have to try to hold off a promising talent in Malik Davis and veteran Rico Dowdle. This will easily be one of the best position battles this summer, especially when tossing in rookie fullback (flexback) Hunter Luepke.

Offensive line: This one is a doozy. The signing of Chuma Edoga pits him against incoming rookie fifth-round pick Asim Richards in the battle for left guard, but both have the ability to flex and, as such, will also compete for the possible job at swing tackle. But wait, there's more. Insert Matt Farniok and Matt Waletzko as notable players who will also be in the battle for left guard and swing tackle, respectively, while Farniok also gets a chance to improve at being insurance in a Tyler Biadasz-less world. Also, toss in Brock Hoffman, Alec Lindstrom, Earl Bostick and T.J. Bass, and the fact it's unknown where Tyler Smith will start (LG1? LT1?); and there's A LOT for the Cowboys to sort through here.

Wide receiver: Let's kick the tires and light the fires, folks. This battle will undoubtedly be one of the more fun to watch, especially with the addition of Brandin Cooks. Expect Cooks to hit the ground running this summer in tandem with CeeDee Lamb, but questions regarding Michael Gallup's readiness to regain stride are abound. There's no reason he shouldn't get back to top form in 2023, and assuming he does, it's the battle for WR4 that takes center stage — Jalen Tolbert finding himself going head-to-head with Simi Fehoko and nine other bodies at WR (including 2022 camp star Dennis Houston). Maybe KaVontae Turpin gets in on the party as well, but since there's only so many passes to go around, this fight should get hot-and-heavy.

Tight end: This time last year, it was Dalton Schultz as the unequivocal TE1 of this unit, but the youth movement has officially taken over the position in Dallas. Jake Ferguson and Peyton Hendershot both got off to hot starts as rookies in 2022 and, as such, helped fuel the decision to wave goodbye to Schultz, and the addition of Luke Schoonmaker as a second-round pick in April further solidifies it's all about the up-and-comers for the Cowboys. But does Ferguson own the throne by default, or will Schoonmaker force him into more of a 1B role? Can Hendershot's fantastic ability to stretch the field and deliver YAC unsettle the others, and how will Sean McKeon factor into this year's version of the Four Horsemen? I fully expect the Ferguson vs. Schoonmaker vs. Hendershot clash to deliver fireworks on a regular basis.

ZeroClub

UFA
RB is going to be interesting. I like the possibility of Vaughn and Luepke playing at the same time. The potential position flex of each (e.g., Luepke as solo RB, FB, or H-back; Vaughn as RB, slot receiver) means they could line up in several different ways on consecutive plays. Defenses wouldn't know what was coming until just before the snap. If both players turn out to be good enough to pull it off, it'd be fun to watch.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
RB is going to be interesting. I like the possibility of Vaughn and Luepke playing at the same time. The potential position flex of each (e.g., Luepke as solo RB, FB, or H-back; Vaughn as RB, slot receiver) means they could line up in several different ways on consecutive plays. Defenses wouldn't know what was coming until just before the snap. If both players turn out to be good enough to pull it off, it'd be fun to watch.
Vaughn should be fun. I wouldn't use him as a slot in the traditional sense. But he is absolutely a guy you could line up at RB and have motion out into the slot. Or do the opposite, have him line up out at the slot and then have him motion back into the backfield. If a team uses a corner on him you run the ball against a weak defense. If they use a LBer on him he will destroy the LBer with speed and quickness. A defenses best bet would be to use more of a safety on him the way Dallas uses a third safety. I think Vaughn could be a fun toy if someone wants to put the effort into it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think I might jerk it clean off if that becomes a staple of the offense.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We've been targeting college OT's, usually LT's, to kick inside for a while now. Martin is the clear example but we did the same thing with Connor Williams and even Tyler Smith to an extent. I think they even planned on crosstraining Chaz Green between LT/LG when they took him.

The only "pure OG" we drafted in the top 3 rounds over the last 10 years was McGovern.
True, I think our motive for OL position flex has been injury protection and getting people in the positions that fit them best. Williams couldn’t play OT in the NFL, for example.

Maybe it’s an illusion, I get the feeling we are also specifically targeting mobility now.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
True, I think our motive for OL position flex has been injury protection and getting people in the positions that fit them best. Williams couldn’t play OT in the NFL, for example.

Maybe it’s an illusion, I get the feeling we are also specifically targeting mobility now.
I think the Cowboys also subscribe to the theory that if you're a top college Olineman you almost always get moved out to tackle. Look at a guy like Bass who played guard in college but ended up at LT.

p1_

DCC 4Life
If only because it wont be Zeke plodding for 3 yards.

Top Bottom