2023 Cowboys UDFA Thread

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
There actually has been some stuff. Besides it is just walk throughs. You will regret your doubts and they have also be cataloged.
Don't mind me. Just being a bitch, worried I'm not going to get my 80s era FB.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There actually has been some stuff. Besides it is just walk throughs. You will regret your doubts and they have also been cataloged.
Yeah I've heard plenty but these are non contact. Not exactly his strength. It's like Mazi, you won't know much until guys are allowed to be physical.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah I've heard plenty but these are non contact. Not exactly his strength. It's like Mazi, you won't know much until guys are allowed to be physical.
Yeah Smith is a bigger deal. With the amount of hype some of you people had laid on him, he better be kicking some ass when the pads come on.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yeah Smith is a bigger deal. With the amount of hype some of you people had laid on him, he better be kicking some ass when the pads come on.
Yeah, I'm hoping Cowboys nation in general backs off on that a tad.

DT's have serious mental and physical learning curves and rarely make an immediate impact day one. People can't be butt-hurt not seeing obvious results right away.

What we're hoping is he gradually helps elevate the physical play up front for both him and his teammates.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah, I'm hoping Cowboys nation in general backs off on that a tad.

DT's have serious mental and physical learning curves and rarely make an immediate impact day one. People can't be butt-hurt not seeing obvious results right away.

What we're hoping is he gradually helps elevate the physical play up front for both him and his teammates.
Shit, I am banking on just better than Gallimore or Bohanna.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Shit, I am banking on just better than Gallimore or Bohanna.
That's a given, IMO

I just don't want people souring on the guy for no good reason

Social media poison is harder for people to ignore than even just ten years ago

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
Luepke Focused On Being Best Version of Himself
May 31, 2023 at 10:20 AM
Harris_Nick-HS

Nick Harris
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writ

20230525 DAL Hunter Luepke02

FRISCO, Texas — Even at one of the most prolific programs in all of Division I football, North Dakota State fullback Hunter Luepke made a name for himself in his four years for the Bison.

The Spencer, Wis. native quickly became a fan favorite in Fargo with his versatility as a ball-carrier and pass-catcher for one of the top offenses in FCS which led to him being one of the Dallas Cowboys' first undrafted free agent signings after the NFL Draft last month.
"At NDSU, I kind of played everything and they moved me all over," Luepke said. "I had to learn the whole offense, I had to know what the o-line was doing, what the quarterback was thinking, what the tight ends and fullbacks were doing. It helped me learn the game of football a little bit more which I think really helped me get to where I am today."

Where he is today just so happens to be at one of the spots he hoped he landed at going into the draft process as during rookie mini-camp over the weekend, Luepke got to soak in the moment around The Star while also acknowledging what's ahead.

"It's awesome," he said. "Just going out and seeing the facilities and getting to meet teammates and all of the coaches. It's an exciting time. You're here playing football and not having to worry about school or anything like that, it's just football now. It's every little guy's dream."

Along with meeting with the Cowboys during the combine, Luepke hopped on multiple Zoom meetings with run game coordinator and running backs coach Jeff Blasko during the draft process, and an immediate attachment to the culture with the coaching staff stood out.

"We've heard it so many times already, but the culture they have here is amazing," he said. "You can really tell that when I was talking to the staff. They hold everybody to a high standard, just like NDSU did before here. It's something I know a little bit about, but I gotta step in and remain at the level of the Cowboys standard."

Luepke has an early understanding of what he has to do in order to make an impact on his new team with a personal process that he is making sure to go through without skipping any steps, beginning with making an impact on special teams.
"Special teams is key," he said. "If you want to play on a team and if you want to play for a long time, you gotta embrace special teams and it's something I'm really looking forward to [doing]. I'm trying to be as versatile as possible to help out this team. First things first, I gotta make the squad and I gotta learn the playbook."
Focusing on what he has to do to go from an undrafted free agent to a mainstay on the roster is what is ahead for Luepke, and gleaming from his persona is a sense of confidence that he can get to where he wants to be by just being himself and trusting in his own abilities.

"I'm just trying to be myself out there," he said. "I'm not trying to be anybody else, I'm just trying to be the best version of Hunter Luepke that I can be every day."
I'm wondering what "culture" he's talking about that's so amazing. Not having made it to a conference championship game in 30 years? I guess that could qualify as culture.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I'm wondering what "culture" he's talking about that's so amazing. Not having made it to a conference championship game in 30 years? I guess that could qualify as culture.
L.ip kee has no such preconceptions. His is a triumph of the uncluttered mind.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I just want it on the record that I absolutely hate this "Best version of yourself/himself" phrase that's become popular the last several years.

That is all.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
To be fair I think he is only talking about the current staff. I don't think many of the Dave Campo era regime are still here.

ZeroClub

UFA
FWIW - William "the Refrigerator" Perry was the first round draft pick (#22 overall) of the 1985 Chicago Bears.

I wonder if Mike (McCarthy) would use Mazi as a lead blocker.

Not hyping.

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
FWIW - William "the Refrigerator" Perry was the first round draft pick (#22 overall) of the 1985 Chicago Bears.

I wonder if Mike (McCarthy) would use Mazi as a lead blocker.

Not hyping.
I have it on authority that The Fridge ran a 4.5 40 tho.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I saw him do that to us at Texas Stadium. ‘‘Twas painful.
We’ve never been beaten like in that 1985 game, and that was with Steve Fuller at QB I think.

Landry was winning with mirrors that year, and that defensive front just pants our OL and QBs like they were midget football.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
We’ve never been beaten like in that 1985 game, and that was with Steve Fuller at QB I think.

Landry was winning with mirrors that year, and that defensive front just pants our OL and QBs like they were midget football.
I can't even blame that Cowboys team. They weren't the first the bears did that to.

I've never seen any defense like that 85 Bears defense. They had everyone's attention. It was as dominant as I've ever seen a unit. People try to put the Ravens and Buccaneers up there but the 85 Bears were on another tier. The only thing comparable I can think of is the 07 Patriots offense (but they were knocked down a peg in the super bowl) where it was just men against boys.

Top Bottom