2023 Cowboys UDFA Thread

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
So, Moose Johnston is not the comp.
When I mentioned Moose, I was talking about being able to do everything well. I even said he probably wouldn’t be as good a blocker as Moose, but then again, who is?

You really like having me repeat shit, don’t you?

• Haha
Reactions: p1_

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
When I mentioned Moose, I was talking about being able to do everything well. I even said he probably wouldn’t be as good a blocker as Moose, but then again, who is?

You really like having me repeat shit, don’t you?
I am gonna have to back you on this one, Sea Bass.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Is it crazy to think Luepke will be out short yardage back? Pollard didn't excel down near the goal line last year. It does look like Deuce likes to just do the old just jump over the pile from down there, too.

But even 3rd and short at midfield Luepke smashing it on there or Deuce over the top.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Is it crazy to think Luepke will be out short yardage back? Pollard didn't excel down near the goal line last year. It does look like Deuce likes to just do the old just jump over the pile from down there, too.

But even 3rd and short at midfield Luepke smashing it on there or Deuce over the top.
I think it is a huge leap of faith to think he could take upon that kind of role that quick. Or moreover, be trusted with it.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think it is a huge leap of faith to think he could take upon that kind of role that quick. Or moreover, be trusted with it.
Luepke has heart, but he’s not going to out-physical defenders in the NFL like he could vs the competition NDSU faced.

Johnston was a beast rushing and receiving at Syracuse and had legit 2nd round pedigree. Even then he struggled behind Dallas’s shitty OL before Emmitt got there. Too bad he couldn’t lead block for himself!

The two might be similar in stature, but the odds are stacked against Luepke.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Exactly.

I think that's being overly optimistic.
Could be, I don't know what the guy is going to look like against stiffer competition.

I also think sometimes people think of short yardage the wrong way. Pollard is actually pretty good in short yardage situations for example. The goal isn't to push a pile. The goal is to find a small hole and get through it. It's all about navigating tight spaces and not falling on your ass when you get hit.

I also think Davis run with really good contact balance. Ronald Jones does pretty well as well if he doesn't fumble the ball. Fumbling is why the Chiefs didn't use him.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys’ undrafted free agents: From most likely to least likely to make the team
TUCSON, AZ - SEPTEMBER 17: North Dakota State Bison fullback Hunter Luepke #44 breaks through the Arizona line during a college football game between the North Dakota State Bison and the University of Arizona Wildcats on September 17, 2022 at Arizona Stadium in Tucson, AZ.  (Photo by Christopher Hook/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

By Jon Machota
2h ago

The Cowboys have an impressive history when it comes to finding success with undrafted free agents. Players like Drew Pearson, Cliff Harris, Cornell Green, Everson Walls and Mark Tuinei were all signed by Dallas after going undrafted. The same for more recent standouts like Tony Romo and Miles Austin.

Cole Beasley, Ron Leary, Dan Bailey and Barry Church were all undrafted players who became quality contributors for the Cowboys.
Over the last decade, Dallas has signed RT Terence Steele, WR Jalen Guyton, CB Charvarius Ward, QB Cooper Rush, TE Blake Jarwin, DE Efe Obada and S Jeff Heath after the draft.

Tight end Peyton Hendershot, safety Markquese Bell and wide receiver Dennis Houston each made the initial 53-man roster last season after going undrafted. Running back Malik Davis was Dallas’ fourth-leading rusher last season with 161 yards and a touchdown on 38 carries. He too went undrafted last year.

With all of that in mind, the Cowboys have agreed to terms with 13 players since the draft ended Saturday night. A few of them might just find their way on this year’s 53-man roster, so let’s take a look at the group.
https://theathletic.com/4474181/2023/05/01/cowboys-depth-chart-post-draft/
Here is the list, in order of most likely to least likely to make the team.

T.J. Bass, OG, Oregon. Dane Brugler projected the 6-4, 317-pound Bass to go in the fifth or sixth round, ranking him 14th among the guards in this class. He played left guard and left tackle over the last three seasons for the Ducks.

Brugler wrote in The Beast: “He has the body thickness and force behind his well-placed punch that’s desired for interior work. Overall, Bass doesn’t have high-level reactive athleticism to easily counter and keep blocks centered, but he gives as good as he gets because of his heavy hands and desire to finish.”

Hunter Luepke, FB, North Dakota State. The Cowboys really haven’t used a true fullback on the roster under Mike McCarthy. Jamize Olawale was the last one and that was in 2019, Jason Garrett’s final season. Nick Ralston was on the roster for four games in 2021 but he played only one offensive snap. The role has largely been filled by offensive linemen, like Connor McGovern, and tight ends, like Blake Bell. Brugler had Luepke 21st among the running backs in this class with a sixth-seventh round grade.

“Luepke was a college running back who projects best as a hybrid fullback with H-back pass-catching traits,” Brugler wrote about the 6-1, 230-pound back. “He needs to find an NFL offense willing to utilize his skill set but can help his chances by starring on special teams coverages.”

Isaiah Land, LB, Florida A&M. It’ll be interesting to see where the Cowboys line him up. Land was an edge rusher in college, totaling 26 1/2 sacks over the last two seasons. But at 6-3, 236, he projects as more of a linebacker at the NFL level. Brugler ranked him 18th among the linebackers in this class with a sixth-round draft grade.

“Land needs to continue strengthening his body to become stouter for NFL front-seven play, but he has the athletic traits to hold up in space and the rush skills to chase the quarterback on sub-downs,” Brugler wrote. “He is a high-end developmental prospect with ‘buy low’ stock that has boom potential for a team willing to invest.”

Tyrus Wheat, DE, Mississippi State. This is the highest-graded player by Brugler that the Cowboys added after the draft. He had a fourth-round grade on Wheat, ranking 19th among all edge rushers. Viliami Fehoko, who Dallas drafted in the fourth round, was ranked 24th among the edge rushers. In 34 games with the Bulldogs, Wheat totaled 18 1/2 sacks and 27 tackles for loss.

“Wheat doesn’t have elite length or explosiveness, but he is a physical edge setter with the front-seven athleticism that will speak to different schemes,” Brugler wrote about the 6-3, 263-pound Wheat. “With his versatile skill set and motor, his best NFL fit is standing up as outside linebacker in a 3-4 base.”

Tyrus Wheat (Thomas Shea / USA Today)

Earl Bostick Jr., OT, Kansas. He would possibly have to beat out Asim Richards to make the roster. The Cowboys drafted Richards in the fifth round. Brugler had Richards ranked as the 14th best tackle in the class. He had Bostick at 17th with a sixth-seventh round grade. Over the last two seasons, Bostick started 25 games, all at left tackle.

“Bostick moves with the slide quickness and athletic body control expected of a former tight end, but his play strength and timing aren’t currently on an NFL level, especially in the run game,” Brugler wrote. “He has the developmental tools that will give an NFL team optimism.”

Durrell Johnson, DE, Liberty. The 6-3, 250-pound Johnson was one of the Cowboys’ pre-draft visitors, so this addition isn’t a surprise. He was not projected to get drafted. He had nine sacks and 27 1/2 tackles for loss last season.

Myles Brooks, CB, Louisiana Tech. Brugler had a sixth-seventh round grade on him, ranking 32nd among all cornerbacks. Eric Scott Jr, who the Cowboys drafted after trading into the top spot in the sixth round, was ranked 60th among all corners. Scott is a little taller and has longer arms. Brooks had seven interceptions and 22 passes defended in 24 games over the last two seasons.

Jalen Moreno-Cropper, WR, Fresno State. He’s the highest ranked (31st, according to Brugler) of the four wide receivers on this list. At 5-11, 172, he projects as an NFL slot wide receiver. It’s probably going to be difficult for any of these wide receivers to win that final roster spot over some other bubble wide receivers like Houston, Simi Fehoko, Dontario Drummond and seventh-round pick Jalen Brooks.
https://theathletic.com/4471556/2023/04/29/cowboys-2023-nfl-draft-takeaways/
David Durden, WR, West Florida. He was No. 33 on Brugler’s list of wide receivers in this class. “Durden will need to prove he can match up vs. NFL speed and strength, but he has the athletic profile and instincts (as a receiver and ball carrier) to earn an NFL roster spot in camp,” Brugler wrote. “His value on special teams (as a return man and gunner) could give the edge.”

Princeton Fant, TE, Tennessee. Brugler’s 28th ranked tight end is undersized, but he scored nine touchdowns last season. “Fant is strength- and technique-deficient as a blocker,” Brugler wrote about the cousin of Seahawks TE Noah Fant, “but his athletic upside as a utility H-back and special teamer will be his ticket to an NFL camp.”

D’Angelo Mandell, CB, BYU. The 6-2, 189-pound Mandell played in 53 games during his college career, breaking up four passes and no interceptions.

Jose Barbon, WR, Temple. He caught 72 passes for 918 yards and two touchdowns last season. The 5-10, 182-pound Barbon clocked a 4.47 in the 40-yard dash.

John Stephens Jr., WR, Louisiana. He has excellent size at 6-5, 232 pounds, making a move to tight end a possibility. He caught 14 passes last season for 284 yards and three touchdowns.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I think Bostick has a chance. Maybe not this year, but after a year on the practice squad in an NFL weight room.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
T.J. Bass, OG, Oregon. Dane Brugler projected the 6-4, 317-pound Bass to go in the fifth or sixth round, ranking him 14th among the guards in this class. He played left guard and left tackle over the last three seasons for the Ducks.

Brugler wrote in The Beast: “He has the body thickness and force behind his well-placed punch that’s desired for interior work. Overall, Bass doesn’t have high-level reactive athleticism to easily counter and keep blocks centered, but he gives as good as he gets because of his heavy hands and desire to finish.”
I'm hopeful this guy pushes for a backup O-line spot. Dallas has definitely developed a type that they like at guard and he fits that perfectly. We like dudes who are powerful college LT types who maybe lack the pass blocking ability to stay there in the NFL. Richards fits the mold, Bergeron fit the mold and Bass also fits the mold. Hell to some extent Tyler Smith fits the mold although he obviously has the athleticism to play LT as we saw last year (Hell Martin was a college LT). Bass is a thick dude and ugly as shit. That just feels perfect for guard here in Dallas. The hard thing is he is a lot like Richards in a sense and I don't know that we keep two rookie O-lineman like that on the team. I'm done with the Ball types on the roster though and I definitely think we got some guys to kick him to the curb finally. Waletzko and Farniok are probably safe to make the roster. Farniok because of his experience here playing guard and Waletzko again because of his ability to play LT and just having a year of experience under his belt. So assuming those are your 7, Richards makes 8, I could see a guy like Bass making the team as well. Now the big thing is they will need somene to backup center. I don't know if that's Farniok or if we prep Richards there but we will have a guard/center type active on game days.

I didn't mention Edoga because I don't know that he is guaranteed a roster spot. I think he is there to battle for a roster spot and if it is close I go with Bass because there is more upside at guard to him in my opinion. Edoga has the experience of being in the NFL but he doesn't have the experience of being in our system. So I think he is in for a battle.

Top Bottom