2022 OTAs, Camps and Training Camp Thread...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
3 weeks is too damn long.

Geng, burn this bitch to the ground.
I'd be willing to go 21 days, and that's my final offer.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Drop it now. By the time he makes a decision, consider it time served.
That's a good point. It might take him long enough to catch up to get to 3 weeks.

We will see how fast he responds.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
From the Official Team Mouthpiece:

And … finally, after writing about him Wednesday in Mick Shots, met Mr. TrackMan, kicker Simon Mathiesen, the guy here on a tryout basis. Didn't get to watch him kick, the Cowboys did that indoors at Ford Center before coming outside for the minicamp practice. Says he hit the ball well, making 20 of his 21 kicks, warmups and 12 scripted kicks, saying one of his kicks would have been good from 60.

Remember, after kicking four seasons at Northwest Missouri State, the Division II school winning three national championships during his four years, he began working for TrackMan – a Danish company initially developing ball flight radar tracking in golf for TV broadcasts, having known the owner – the Danish-raised soccer player helping to develop and sell the football technology portion of the company four or five months after graduation.

So Mathiesen put his kicking career way back on the back burner. But he'd still dabble in kicking three or four times a week while helping to advance TrackMan into football and then testing out the system setups.

"And now I have a much better understanding of what I'm doing," he says from using the radar tracking system. "I know what I do when I hit the ball well, and when I don't hit the ball well, I know what I did."

Even though he had been a highly successful kicker at Northwest Missouri State, the NFL never came calling. Not even a tryout. But since he last kicked in the 2016 season national championship game, Friday was his first time to kick under the watchful eye of an NFL team.

As he termed it, this was his "first official tryout," pointing out though, "I'm older now and more prepared."

As luck would have it, Cowboys pro scout Henry Sroka hooked him up with the workout. And Mathiesen didn't just come for the tryout. He brought along his TrackMan equipment NBC has been using for Sunday Night Football broadcasts and for the first time in this past season's Super Bowl in Los Angeles.

"I've known the Cowboys for a while. They've been interested and now they need a kicker," Mathiesen said.

Even displayed his iPad illustrating the TrackMan results from his kicks on Friday, with another round to come on Saturday.

Hey, who knows?

As of today, the Cowboys aren't even close to being sure who will be handling kicks come 7:20 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 11, at AT&T Stadium in the season opener against Tampa Bay … again. Currently, officially on the roster are first-year kicker Chris Naggar, with one field goal of NFL experience this past season with Cleveland, and now undrafted free-agent Jonathan Garibay from Texas Tech, where after junior college kicked in only three games his junior year and the entirety this past season at Tech.

Maybe Mathiesen joins the fray.

And if not, maybe he sells the Cowboys a TrackMan radar technology system.

All this, too, without witnessing any of the kicks, making a huge impression on me.

Top Bottom