2022 Draft Big Boards, Position Rankings & Mocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Realistically our 1st rounder should come down to guys like Kenyon Green/Zion Johnson/Jermaine Johnson/Travon Walker/DeMarvin Leal with an outside shot at someone like Jordan Davis, Nakobe Dean, Linderbaum or Karlaftis falling due to less than ideal size/length, or in Davis case the fact that he isn't a dynamic pass rusher.

We basically can't screw it up no matter what we do, unless we go off the reservation and take a safety like Hill or Brisker, and even then I wouldn't completely hate it.

The front 7 depth is ridiculously strong through the end of the 2nd to the point that I expect to get someone like Travis Jones, Cameron Thomas, Ebiketie, or Christian Harris, all of which I could argue are guys who would go around 30-40 most years.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Realistically our 1st rounder should come down to guys like Kenyon Green/Zion Johnson/Jermaine Johnson/Travon Walker/DeMarvin Leal with an outside shot at someone like Jordan Davis, Nakobe Dean, Linderbaum or Karlaftis falling due to less than ideal size/length, or in Davis case the fact that he isn't a dynamic pass rusher.

We basically can't screw it up no matter what we do, unless we go off the reservation and take a safety like Hill or Brisker, and even then I wouldn't completely hate it.

The front 7 depth is ridiculously strong through the end of the 2nd to the point that I expect to get someone like Travis Jones, Cameron Thomas, Ebiketie, or Christian Harris, all of which I could argue are guys who would go around 30-40 most years.
So if you've got your pick of Green, Lloyd or Davis? I'm guessing those three are your top G, LB and DT...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Travon Walker
I'm still just not getting this guy. He just doesn't look like a really good DE to me. He didn't make a lot of plays in college. I see no ability to turn the corner. The only thing I have seen him do that impresses me is run some stunts where he runs over a guard while looping. I know he is big and a great athlete. But gosh we have seen that too many times before. My comp is maybe Rashan Gary or Solomon Thomas.

I don't know, I just don't see it. And to be fair Gary in his third year started to come on for the Packers. But big guy, great athlete, not the numbers in college you expect and it has been a learning process for him. But maybe that's ok later in the first.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm still just not getting this guy. He just doesn't look like a really good DE to me. He didn't make a lot of plays in college. I see no ability to turn the corner. The only thing I have seen him do that impresses me is run some stunts where he runs over a guard while looping. I know he is big and a great athlete. But gosh we have seen that too many times before. My comp is maybe Rashan Gary or Solomon Thomas.

I don't know, I just don't see it. And to be fair Gary in his third year started to come on for the Packers. But big guy, great athlete, not the numbers in college you expect and it has been a learning process for him. But maybe that's ok later in the first.
He could end up profiling as a Rashan Gary but in my mind his primary appeal is as an interior rusher in nickel/dime, which teams are in roughly 60% or so of the time, while also being stout against the run. The flexibility to move out to the edge or play as a 5T in base is just an added bonus.

But I think his athleticism/length is much better suited on the inside, as opposed to putting him on the outside where he's not the explosive type athlete that you usually see on the edge. Gary is an outlier, but generally guys like him aren't out on the edge.

But I could easily see him putting up 8 or so sacks at his peak as a quasi-DT, and I think generating a consistent pass rush from the interior should be one of our top priorities.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
So if you've got your pick of Green, Lloyd or Davis? I'm guessing those three are your top G, LB and DT...
Probably Lloyd, although if you ask me tomorrow I might say Davis. Green would be a clear 3rd for me and I don't think he's head and shoulders above Zion really either.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Probably Lloyd, although if you ask me tomorrow I might say Davis. Green would be a clear 3rd for me and I don't think he's head and shoulders above Zion really either.
And yet I'd feel good about Zion or Green in the first. I think they are first round caliber guards any year.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
And yet I'd feel good about Zion or Green in the first. I think they are first round caliber guards any year.
For sure, there's no real bad choices, just less than ideal ones (Daxton Hill). Unless we somehow go CB but I can't see that happening.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
For sure, there's no real bad choices, just less than ideal ones (Daxton Hill). Unless we somehow go CB but I can't see that happening.
Yeah I mean I don't really know how you could fuck it up. Just don't get cute. Our needs like up stellar with the draft. So no reason to force a corner, WR, QB or one of these positions that I could see bust.

Daxton Hill is ok. But I saw a lot of slot corner out of him. I don't want to draft that in the first. But I'd also have faith that Quinn would carve out a job that utilizes his skills very well. And let's face it, we won't draft a first round safety. Probably not a second or third either.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Going CB or RB or something completely unrealistic is about the only thing.

The worst case scenario is someone like Hill or Brisker, both of whom I like, and would have faith in Quinn being able to maximize them in his system. It just wouldn't be ideal compared to going OL or front 7.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Going CB or RB or something completely unrealistic is about the only thing.

The worst case scenario is someone like Hill or Brisker, both of whom I like, and would have faith in Quinn being able to maximize them in his system. It just wouldn't be ideal compared to going OL or front 7.
That was for your idea that they can't screw it up.

Oh yes, then can.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Oh yes, then can.
To be fair half the teams in the NFL will screw this draft up in the first. It's just how it goes. You're not going to have a high percentage of these guys work out.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Oh yes, then can.
They can, it's just hard to imagine given their recent success in the 1st. Can't really see them going off the reservation with a CB or whatever when our needs are pretty clear.

Cutting Cooper could change that though.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They can, it's just hard to imagine given their recent success in the 1st. Can't really see them going off the reservation with a CB or whatever when our needs are pretty clear.

Cutting Cooper could change that though.
I also think it helps that the talent lines up well in this draft.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
24. Dallas Cowboys: Daxton Hill, S/CB, Michigan

Given that the Cowboys led the NFL with 26 interceptions in 2021, investing their top pick in a defensive back might seem unnecessary — until, that is, you realize that three of the four safeties on the roster are unrestricted free agents, including starters Damontae Kazee and Jayron Kearse.

Hill, frankly, is better in coverage than either, possessing the fluidity and speed to be moved all over the field at Michigan.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
24. Dallas Cowboys: Daxton Hill, S/CB, Michigan

Given that the Cowboys led the NFL with 26 interceptions in 2021, investing their top pick in a defensive back might seem unnecessary — until, that is, you realize that three of the four safeties on the roster are unrestricted free agents, including starters Damontae Kazee and Jayron Kearse.

Hill, frankly, is better in coverage than either, possessing the fluidity and speed to be moved all over the field at Michigan.

He is more of a slot corner than a true safety.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He is more of a slot corner than a true safety.
Yeah and that's a high price to pay for a slot corner. But on the plus side the guy is really aggressive and a great tackler. I have no doubt Quinn would find great use for him the way he did Kearse. But still not ideal to me. This isn't a Kazee replacement for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom