2022 Cowboys Free Agency Thread

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
He makes it sound like it's Williams vs McGovern or nothing. Draft a guard? Sign a free agent? Why I never!
Move Collins there...

• Props
Reactions: p1_

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

"Too expensive." - Goof Son.
Those jackasses will stubbornly never go after that position. They’ll keep their street FAs and continue to wonder why they can’t stop the run or fail to generate a pass rush against teams not wearing burgundy and gold.

But they’ll go all in and overpay Gregory all that money that could have fixed DT.

data

Forbes #1
Those jackasses will stubbornly never go after that position. They’ll keep their street FAs and continue to wonder why they can’t stop the run or fail to generate a pass rush against teams not wearing burgundy and gold.

But they’ll go all in and overpay Gregory all that money that could have fixed DT.
Which is odd considering how many Super Bowl teams had Pro Bowl +300 lbs, IIRC, and you’d figure that Jerruh would’ve copycat’d this…but Monte Kiffin and Tampa 2 a decade too late is da shit, I guess.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's pretty awesome, but yea, he's probably going to cost around 5/year, which is about 4 too much for us.
Is he that awesome? I'll be honest, don't think I watched a Jets game and his stats look like poop. But he is a NT so that's not always a big deal. Just curious if he is really that good. The Jets run defense was also one of the worst in the NFL as well correct? Again, not something you can attribute to one guy but maybe I'm missing something.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Is he that awesome? I'll be honest, don't think I watched a Jets game and his stats look like poop. But he is a NT so that's not always a big deal. Just curious if he is really that good. The Jets run defense was also one of the worst in the NFL as well correct? Again, not something you can attribute to one guy but maybe I'm missing something.
As awesome as a ~5-7 million/year player is going to be.

He's an awesome role player I'd say, really stout against the run. The Jets defense (and whole roster) is basically slop, the only truly redeeming piece of their roster is their interior DL with guys like Quinnen Williams, this guy and John Franklin-Myers.

These NT types never put up impressive stats because they aren't pass rushers, if they were, combined with their ability against the run, they'd be getting paid 18-20/year. DJ Jones is a good example of that and I think Fatukasi is in a similar mold.

I really wanted us to go after DJ Jones last year, he would've been a very affordable signing who would've fit a very big need. Hell, I'd love for us to go after him again this year, but Fatukasi would be a similar fit.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Maybe DQ gets this interior fixed this year. Still need quality upgrades.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't think we need a significant amount more on the interior, ideally we just need to find one difference maker, whether that's a run-stuffer like Jordan Davis or someone who is a threat to collapse the pocket as a pass-rusher (Leal or Walker perhaps).

Gallimore, Osa and someone like Watkins, or ideally a FA like DJ Jones is generally solid, we just need that one stud in there.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I don't think we need a significant amount more on the interior
Totally agree. You'd love to have a stud interior rusher but I think what we really need to hit on is an edge guy. Tank is getting old and expensive and Gregory is flaky. We have no young guys developing behind them either.

And if they play Parsons there more, which I bet they do, we have a dire need at ILB. LVE needs to go asap. At least those don't usually require high picks.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Totally agree. You'd love to have a stud interior rusher but I think what we really need to hit on is an edge guy. Tank is getting old and expensive and Gregory is flaky. We have no young guys developing behind them either.
Lucky for us this is probably the deepest DL class in years.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Count me in on wanting a proven DT run stuffing giant. Wish we could have grabbed DJ Reader a couple seasons ago. How long do we sit back and watch our line getting blown up by opponent's power runners?
At some point it has to stop

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

And if they play Parsons there more, which I bet they do, we have a dire need at ILB. LVE needs to go asap. At least those don't usually require high picks.
I mean my preference is to just bring Gregory back on a reasonable deal. I guess if he flakes in the offseason than edge rusher becomes a more pressing issue. I don't think he will though. Obviously towards the end of last season when we had Parsons, Gregory and Lawrence rushing the passer things looked pretty damn good. And LBer or DE Parsons is going to be rushing the passer a bunch. So really you just need a DE that can fill in on early downs and Golston should be able to do that.

We have Golston who is a young guy who is going to play some end for us. We probably could use another young dude. But I wouldn't view it as pressing assuming Gregory, Lawrence and Parsons are back.

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
There's no reason to cut either Cooper or Lawrence, the only scenario where I think it might be a good idea is if we cut Cooper in an attempt to scale back the investment on the offensive side of the ball, while investing more heavily into the defense and obviously re-signing Gregory.

In that you case you focus on the OL, re-sign Gallup/Wilson, maybe draft a WR or TE in the 3rd or 4th, and tell Dak to make do while building more around the defense.

I'd still draft a DE/edge in the 1st or 2nd though without reservations, because Lawrence will probably be gone in a year or two anyway, and in the meantime our pass rush could be ferocious with Parsons/Lawrence/Gregory/1st or 2nd rounder.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd still draft a DE/edge in the 1st or 2nd though without reservations, because Lawrence will probably be gone in a year or two anyway, and in the meantime our pass rush could be ferocious with Parsons/Lawrence/Gregory/1st or 2nd rounder.
I'm not pressing the issue for a DE in the first or second in this scenario but I'm not passing a guy up either. If Ojabo, Jermaine Johnson, Karlaftis, Ebiketie, Cameron Thomas or Mafe is the best player, I take them.

But I'd prefer to be taking a Leal, Winfrey, Phidarian Mathis, Jordan Davis, Travis Jones type instead. I'll even throw Wyatt in there although I don't think he is as good as his hype is right now.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't think we need a significant amount more on the interior, ideally we just need to find one difference maker, whether that's a run-stuffer like Jordan Davis or someone who is a threat to collapse the pocket as a pass-rusher (Leal or Walker perhaps).

Gallimore, Osa and someone like Watkins, or ideally a FA like DJ Jones is generally solid, we just need that one stud in there.
We need a DT that demands extra help. Get that, we are in decent shape. But the days of being good with what they have there has to end.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Top Bottom