2022 Cowboys Free Agency Thread

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's why I don't think things will change when he's fully in charge.
No the circus atmosphere might change but we will continue to be one of the cheapest franchises in the NFL. That aspect may even get worse. Jerry seems to least be the motivation behind trying to convince guys to stay who Stephen pisses off in negotiations. Without Jerry I actually cringe we may have more offseasons like this one where we can't even negotiate contracts with our own guys on a respectful level.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

I don't think we're bringing in another linebacker of note. We should be replacing Neal but unless we bring Neal himself back (yes I saw he wants to switch back to safety which means he's probably not in our plans), we'll probably bring in some combination of vet minimum guys, UDFA, and/or mid to late round picks.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think we're bringing in another linebacker of note. We should be replacing Neal but unless we bring Neal himself back (yes I saw he wants to switch back to safety which means he's probably not in our plans), we'll probably bring in some combination of vet minimum guys, UDFA, and/or mid to late round picks.
Yeah at best you can hope for is another cheap guy just wanting a chance to fill the depth chart. Of course I'm expecting the same on the Oline.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
No the circus atmosphere might change but we will continue to be one of the cheapest franchises in the NFL. That aspect may even get worse. Jerry seems to least be the motivation behind trying to convince guys to stay who Stephen pisses off in negotiations. Without Jerry I actually cringe we may have more offseasons like this one where we can't even negotiate contracts with our own guys on a respectful level.
So we will change to looking more like how the Bengals are run. Great….

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Jason Ferguson and Cedric Thornton will do that to a person.
Jason Ferguson was actually good though.

It's funny, Jerry argues that because he's the owner and GM he can take more risks, when in reality they now take less risks because there's no accountability. Whereas teams with regular GM's are going overboard with risk-taking given that they know they're mostly on borrowed time.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like Watkins as a rotational run-stuffer, definitely wanted him re-signed, so I won't begrudge this particular move just because Stephen is a big gushing pussy when it comes to free agency.
No I just don't care either. More of the same, retain, lose a few and then pray to make up the lost ground in the draft. Im indifferent on Watkins.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I see the exact same room as last year and you are betting on Odighizuwa getting better after fading late last year.

Not impressed. But I bet my ass we feel like we are good here.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
No I just don't care either. More of the same, retain, lose a few and then pray to make up the lost ground in the draft. Im indifferent on Watkins.
We've lost Cooper, Collins and Gregory and added James Washington and Dante Fowler.

In terms of AAV, Cooper/Collins/Gregory accounted for a combined ~44 million/year, based on the 14/year they offered Gregory. Washington and Fowler signed 1 year deals for probably about 6 million combined.

They were clearly willing to give Gregory 14/year but once he left all they can muster are some minimal 1 year deals?

Shows you how serious they are about winning.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We've lost Cooper, Collins and Gregory and added James Washington and Dante Fowler.

In terms of AAV, Cooper/Collins/Gregory accounted for a combined ~44 million/year, based on the 14/year they offered Gregory. Washington and Fowler signed 1 year deals for probably about 6 million combined.

They were clearly willing to give Gregory 14/year but once he left all they can muster are some minimal 1 year deals?

Shows you how serious they are about winning.
It blows my mind they have that money for Gregory, but only because he is one of their homegrown.

It is like we really don't have the balls to commit to a free agent for decent money unless we "know the player".

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

I see the exact same room as last year and you are betting on Odighizuwa getting better after fading late last year.

Not impressed. But I bet my ass we feel like we are good here.
It's an ok group, functional enough but you need more talented guys around them, which we have to some extent with Lawrence/Parsons, but there's really a need for an additional difference maker which obviously won't materialize because Stephen is a bitch. Obviously you can and should upgrade if you get the opportunity.

Top Bottom