2022 Cowboys Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I love the dudes nasty. We need that on the Oline. Not via a trade up but at 24, absolutely.
The nasty is good, but he will be a flag magnet if he does not clean up his technique. That goes double for Smith.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If we take Smith it'll all be on Philbin to refine his technique (or instill any technique really) and get him to play with more discipline. If that happens he has Pro Bowl upside, if not, well, it's definitely gonna be not great.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
You love you some Karlaftis
He's a forgotten man because he doesn't have exciting measurables/physical dimensions, but he's a straight up better edge rusher than Walker is right now, and it's very possible if not likely that Karlaftis ends up the better edge rusher over their careers. Walker might have more juice from the interior, but Karlaftis is way ahead of him off the edge as of right now.

I'm also not certain that you'd have seen a significant difference between senior Hutchinson and if you put a senior Karlaftis on last year's Michigan team. Karlaftis as a freshman/sophomore/junior was better than Hutchinson as a freshman/sophomore/junior.

And he quietly tested pretty well.

38 vertical, compared to 35.5 for Walker, 36 for Hutchinson and 32 for Jermaine Johnson.

121 on the broad, compared to 123 for Walker, 117 for Hutchinson and 125 for Johnson.

4.36 on the short shuttle, 4.32 for Walker, 4.15 for Hutchinson and DNP for Johnson.

He didn't run a 40, but that's whatever.

That's a gamble I'm taking at 24.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You're seeing another Ryan Kerrigan in Karlaftis, then, @Simpleton?

Am I putting too much emphasis thinking Karlaftis' < 33" arm length will become more of a problem in the NFL?

Walker's ridiculous 35.5 inch arms combined with his measurables and production are the difference for me.

The only knock against Walker IMO is that he had so much help on that UGA DL that maybe it boosted his stats. At the same time though, they may have taken away from his stats too, so I'm not going to penalize him too much for being part of a great position group.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's a forgotten man because he doesn't have exciting measurables/physical dimensions, but he's a straight up better edge rusher than Walker is right now, and it's very possible if not likely that Karlaftis ends up the better edge rusher over their careers. Walker might have more juice from the interior, but Karlaftis is way ahead of him off the edge as of right now.

I'm also not certain that you'd have seen a significant difference between senior Hutchinson and if you put a senior Karlaftis on last year's Michigan team. Karlaftis as a freshman/sophomore/junior was better than Hutchinson as a freshman/sophomore/junior.

And he quietly tested pretty well.

38 vertical, compared to 35.5 for Walker, 36 for Hutchinson and 32 for Jermaine Johnson.

121 on the broad, compared to 123 for Walker, 117 for Hutchinson and 125 for Johnson.

4.36 on the short shuttle, 4.32 for Walker, 4.15 for Hutchinson and DNP for Johnson.

He didn't run a 40, but that's whatever.

That's a gamble I'm taking at 24.
People forget that althetic ability goes beyond just a 40 time. Walker gets this "more upside" tag than Hutchinson but short area quickness is way more important for a DE. So is skill. And Hutchinson actually is the more short area speed guy between the two. And he is way more skilled at what he does. Karlaftis basically has the same short area quickness as Walker. He just is way more skilled. And maybe his arms aren't as long but again, that stuff gets overrated to me.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
You're seeing another Ryan Kerrigan in Karlaftis, then, @Simpleton?

Am I putting too much emphasis thinking Karlaftis' < 33" arm length will become more of a problem in the NFL?

Walker's ridiculous 35.5 inch arms combined with his measurables and production are the difference for me.

The only knock against Walker IMO is that he had so much help on that UGA DL that maybe it boosted his stats. At the same time though, they may have taken away from his stats too, so I'm not going to penalize him too much for being part of a great position group.
Maybe not as explosive as Kerrigan but more physical/stronger. I think he could easily end up being a Kerrigan-level player though, just in a slightly different style.

Arm length is a thing but he's less than a half inch below 33, I'm not overly concerned with that given his polished hand usage/technique.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
People forget that althetic ability goes beyond just a 40 time. Walker gets this "more upside" tag than Hutchinson but short area quickness is way more important for a DE. So is skill. And Hutchinson actually is the more short area speed guy between the two. And he is way more skilled at what he does. Karlaftis basically has the same short area quickness as Walker. He just is way more skilled. And maybe his arms aren't as long but again, that stuff gets overrated to me.
The cone drill is a way better metric for evaluating a DE.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
As long as it isn't us I'm ok. Kid scares the crap out of me. But he is definitely a guy who can play guard and LT physically. His technique is just a hot mess and he has no idea what he is doing which leads to holds. The guy looks like a developmental prospect, which is not what you want in the first round.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
Surprise of the day. Giants draft a QB.

Cowboys. Trade up for Jordan Davis or stay out for BPA lineman

p1_

DCC 4Life
Nice having 2 threads. I can go back and forth and back.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I just took a nervous shit in my pants.
Ah the fun of the draft. You never really know if what you're hearing is a bunch of bullshit or if it's actually true. Then you hear about after the draft that is was or wasn't true and that the team just wasn't able to execute it or they did. I have a lot of fun watching the draft. I just want to make lots of picks though. There is zero fun in trading it all away for one dude. And then having a razor thin roster as a result. Let other teams do that stupid shit. I want to make 9 picks or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom