2021 Season | Wildcard Weekend | Gameday Chatter Thread | 49ers @ Cowboys | 1/16/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think Dalton plus those three take us any further, and if I had to guess we'd probably only win 9 or 10 games, plus Simmons was franchised.

And let's be real, there's no chance in hell our front office would go on a spending spree like that.
Yeah we would have ended with 9 wins and a first round playoff loss. I guess we didn't end up much better but I have at least some hope that we can build a better team around Dak through the draft. Dalton isn't ever winning anything.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Yeah we would have ended with 9 wins and a first round playoff loss. I guess we didn't end up much better but I have at least some hope that we can build a better team around Dak through the draft. Dalton isn't ever winning anything.

My guess is at least 10 wins and yes still a 1st round playoff loss (although probably a 4 seed and maybe a better shot at beating Arizona). So in the end not much would have changed, certainly no worse.

But the big difference is going forward you have way more money to spend on putting up a team around the QB. You have money for a LG, DT, money to keep Schultz, Gregory, Kearse, maybe Kazee, Hooker and/or Neal. Maybe Gallup/Wilson.

And best of all, you can meanwhile be searching for your long-term solution at QB.

You might even be positioned to jump into sweepstakes for a guy like Rodgers, or Wilson, if things shake out.

Instead we've kind of boxed ourselves into a corner and our one real hope is that our 7 year veteran 40 million dollar QB can figure out how to play the position.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
My guess is at least 10 wins and yes still a 1st round playoff loss (although probably a 4 seed and maybe a better shot at beating Arizona). So in the end not much would have changed, certainly no worse.

But the big difference is going forward you have way more money to spend on putting up a team around the QB. You have money for a LG, DT, money to keep Schultz, Gregory, Kearse, maybe Kazee, Hooker and/or Neal. Maybe Gallup/Wilson.

And best of all, you can meanwhile be searching for your long-term solution at QB.

You might even be positioned to jump into sweepstakes for a guy like Rodgers, or Wilson, if things shake out.

Instead we've kind of boxed ourselves into a corner and our one real hope is that our 7 year veteran 40 million dollar QB can figure out how to play the position.
We can also cut him after next year if we really wanted to and move on to your plan.

But the problem with that scenario, as well as the one you laid out where we actually spent money in FA, is that it isn't a realistic expectation for this front office.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
In retrospect, what should we have done with Dak Prescott Jan/Feb 2020? Already exhausted the franchise tags.

a. Same. Sign contract for $40M and work for better success in 2022 and 2023 with a hopefully improving Dak.

b. Let Dak hit FA and draft Justin Fields or Mac Jones. No more Micah Parsons

c. Let Dak hit FA and resign andy Dalton or a FA (Fitzmagic)

d. Let Dak hit FA and roll with Cooper Rush and a second/third round QB rookie.
I was conflicted at the time. Honestly I think we could have done as well resigning Dalton. When the Bengals drafted him I referred to him as Romo-lite. Put him behind a decent oline and he is fine. I think he would actually perform fairly well with our trio of WRs.

Last edited:

data

Forbes #1
We should have signed him earlier when his cost was lower. I didn't see that option.
Say we did sign Dak earlier…we’re still talking $32-35M.

The people here bitching and moaning about Dak @ravidubey —would you still be bitching and moaning at that lower price?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

The people here bitching and moaning about Dak @ravidubey —would you still be bitching and moaning at that lower price?
They would bitch and moan no matter what. Hell people thought Sean Payton was an idiot when he was here. The only way to get people to not bitch is to win the superbowl.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Vrabel and Tannehill are #1 seed and much of it achieved without Derrick Henry.

49ers went to Super Bowl with Garoppolo recently.

It can be done with Prescott.
Do we think those teams are going to beat the Chiefs, Bills, or even the Bengals?

Garoppolo had a better supporting cast than almost anyone two years ago. That was proof if anything how big a deal a great QB like Mahomes can be. No way were they going to beat KC.

Dallas’ OL wasn’t great last week but it wasn’t a shitshow either. Dak couldn’t handle the combo of pressure and coverage. Just throw the fucking ball to 88 who is one on one in coverage with an average CB!

Nope, that’s not Dak’s game. They have to be open. Well sometimes MFer you have to make them open

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Do we think those teams are going to beat the Chiefs, Bills, or even the Bengals?

Garoppolo had a better supporting cast than almost anyone two years ago. That was proof if anything how big a deal a great QB like Mahomes can be. No way were they going to beat KC.

Dallas’ OL wasn’t great last week but it wasn’t a shitshow either. Dak couldn’t handle the combo of pressure and coverage. Just throw the fucking ball to 88 who is one on one in coverage with an average CB!

Nope, that’s not Dak’s game. They have to be open. Well sometimes MFer you have to make them open
SF had KC on the ropes and basically had the game won if not for a miracle 3rd and 15 or whatever conversion by Mahomes with a few minutes left, they outplayed KC for the most part until the last 8 or so minutes. It's disingenuous to say they were never going to beat KC, they were basically a play away from wrapping it up.

As far as the playoff game, I believe Sturm said that the OL gave up one of their highest pressure rates of the year, mostly against 4 man rushes. And despite what some may think they weren't all coverage sacks, maybe 1-2 were, but at least 2-3 were completely free runs within a second or two of the snap.

Our running game averaged less than 3 YPC, again, mostly against light boxes with 7 dropping in zones.

That isn't all 100% on the OL of course but if that isn't a shit show I don't know what is.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

Obviously we should have signed him earlier, but I don’t care so much about his contract size.

I’m mad that he’s not a difference-maker. A leader, RKG, big heart… yes, yes, and yes.

But he’s not going to break open the game like Rodgers, Brady, Mahomes, or maybe even Allen and Burrow.

It just sucks seeing Burrow and Allen blow past him just like Mahomes already did. Fucking sucks. And the next elite talent, and next, etc.

I guess this is how the Vikes feel with Cousins or the Rams felt with Goff.

C-rock is right that he’s better than some of these terrible QBs around the league. I wish he had a guy like Reid to show him the ropes instead of Garrett or young-assed Moore.

I wonder if Jerry has the balls to make the kind of trade LA made for Stafford. Stafford is no Mahomes, but he is clearly a cut above Goff.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If we’re being pressured, then you rollout, pistol, and throw in QB runs. Nothing throws off a pass rush like that.

You create. Sometimes there’s nothing you can do, like Mahomes playing with two backup OTs with no practice time against the best pass rush in the league.

This was not one of those times. Dak had many opportunities. I’m convinced he’s too whipped by the coaching staff to innovate and create on his own. Or maybe it’s just not in him.

The Dallas defense combined with Jimmy G’s incompetence kept the team in the game second half. But Dak looked lost.

Prescott has never been successful without fucking insane talent up front, in the backfield and at WR. That window is closed now.

FAIL

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If we’re being pressured, then you rollout, pistol, and throw in QB runs. Nothing throws off a pass rush like that.

You create. Sometimes there’s nothing you can do, like Mahomes playing with two backup OTs with no practice time against the best pass rush in the league.

This was not one of those times. Dak had many opportunities. I’m convinced he’s too whipped by the coaching staff to innovate and create on his own. Or maybe it’s just not in him.

The Dallas defense combined with Jimmy G’s incompetence kept the team in the game second half. But Dak looked lost.

Prescott has never been successful without fucking insane talent up front, in the backfield and at WR. That window is closed now.

FAIL
Rolling out, pistol and QB runs are all part of play designs, so if you want to blame Moore for not being creative enough I don't think anybody will disagree with you.

But expecting Dak to create plays out of thin air all game outside the construct of the play then you're expecting him to be a Mahomes or Rodgers, which he isn't nor will ever be.

On the other hand if you spend all your time chasing an all time great QB and throwing everybody else on the scrap heap you're going to spend alot of years winning 6 games unless you get extremely lucky.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Good stuff there.

But every time Broaddus says, "and stuff like that", a kitten dies.

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
We put up two 50-burgers in December, yet here we are.
Yea, bad or even average teams don't do that.

From what I can tell our roster is good to very good but if our initial offensive plan isn't working we struggle to adjust and go into a damn-near game-long funk. We were similar in 2019, with massive blowouts of some pretty solid teams (Rams, Eagles) but flip-flopped week to week.

We were more consistent this year than in 2019 but there are definitely similarities.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
We put up two 50-burgers in December, yet here we are.
Against horrible teams, though. That's where I think the awful division actually hurts us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom