2021 Season | Wildcard Weekend | Gameday Chatter Thread | 49ers @ Cowboys | 1/16/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

data

Forbes #1
I don’t see how anyone is debating this. He was awful down the stretch and he was awful in this game.

Top QBs don’t shit the bed. They elevate their team to wins even when the team plays poorly.
Yeah…Was protection perfect for Dak? No. But it far from a jailbreak with zero chance regarding those plays where he was pressured.

There was pressure that forced Dak to move for sure, but manageable enough for the other $40M QBs to make it work.

Id be much more forgiving if Dak was making $30M

Last edited:

data

Forbes #1
Roethlisberger was a bus driver for most of his career and never carried a team on his back purely with his arm, but he made enough plays behind a strong defense/running game to win quite a lot.

That's basically what Dak is, if Dak had a number one defense and played for a strong organization.
I won’t disagree that Roethlisberger has benefited from his surroundings in terms of wins and losses, but talking about QB ability you are minimalizing Roethlisbergers maturation from his early years to his early 30s. In his prime, Roethlisberger makes tight window throws, reads coverages, handles and evades pressure and moves the chains that I doubt anyone has the same trust level in Dak, who now is no longer a spring buck and supposed to be in his prime now…and Roethlisberger was doing this against the Ravens, Patriots and Chiefs.

Dak isn’t worthless (solid Tier 2) and we’re tied to the hip with him, but his scrambling ability has diminished, increasing the necessity and size of the next step for him as a passer for us to advance to at least the NFCC, maybe even the Divisional Round now that there’s only one bye.

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I won’t disagree that Roethlisberger has benefited from his surroundings in terms of wins and losses, but talking about QB ability you are minimalizing Roethlisbergers maturation from his early years to his early 30s. In his prime, Roethlisberger makes tight window throws, reads coverages, handles and evades pressure and moves the chains that I doubt anyone has the same trust level in Dak now is no longer a spring buck and supposed to be in his prime now…and Roethlisberger was doing this against the Ravens, Patriots and Chiefs.

Dak isn’t worthless (solid Tier 2) and we’re tied to the hip with him, but his scrambling ability has diminished, increasing the necessity and size of the next step for him as a passer for us to advance to at least the NFCC, maybe even the Divisional Round now that there’s only one bye.
We'll see, often times guys coming off these catastrophic injuries aren't fully back until year 2, so I think we could see an improved version of Dak next year. Much of what you described out of Roethlisberger we've seen out of Dak at times, he just went into a complete hole towards the end of this year for a number of reasons, some of which were his fault, some weren't, so we'll see.

His movements just were never very fluid at times this year and I think that bled down into his mechanics and footwork in the pocket too. I have no idea how much, or any of that can be contributed to the injury, but he looked different and there were times where he just didn't look comfortable or confident in his movements.

We'll see, but that 4 year contract could end up being a blessing if this is the permanent Dak, skittish and gun-shy in the pocket and all.

Another thing as far as this particular game, someone said SF weren't getting free runners at Dak and he was just holding the ball too long. That is true on a few plays but they had free runners coming at him almost immediately several times, including on the first sack on the first drive of the game, as well as on the sack that came right before the INT.

data

Forbes #1
We'll see, often times guys coming off these catastrophic injuries aren't fully back until year 2, so I think we could see an improved version of Dak next year. Much of what you described out of Roethlisberger we've seen out of Dak at times, he just went into a complete hole towards the end of this year for a number of reasons, some of which were his fault, some weren't, so we'll see.

His movements just were never very fluid at times this year and I think that bled down into his mechanics and footwork in the pocket too. I have no idea how much, or any of that can be contributed to the injury, but he looked different and there were times where he just didn't look comfortable or confident in his movements.

We'll see, but that 4 year contract could end up being a blessing if this is the permanent Dak, skittish and gun-shy in the pocket and all.

Another thing as far as this particular game, someone said SF weren't getting free runners at Dak and he was just holding the ball too long. That is true on a few plays but they had free runners coming at him almost immediately several times, including on the first sack on the first drive of the game, as well as on the sack that came right before the INT.
Before I go further into this, not Dak’s inability to be elite, but our running game’s degradation is the biggest issue for this offense, whether it’s OL, Zeke or scheme (probably combo of all three).

Back to Dak…
1. An observation when I watch other QBs compared to Dak. Other QBs make tight window throws where the ball placement and WR looking are sync’d; The passes are on the inside shoulder or outside shoulder right off the break. With Dak, there might be one or two CeeDee passes over the middle in a tight window or the Gallup fade, but typically WR targets are when WR overwhelmingly wide open and well past the WR’s break. Makes me suspicious about Daks anticipation, diagnosing coverage, playing too safe or not rehearsed/practiced enough with WR (chemistry).

2. The Would’ve Been Drive. That 4th & 11 bomb that hit a twisting Cedric Wilson’s hands…I’m not going to rewatch the game, so I hope someone will and can answer some questions. For sure it was a heavy blitz and Cedric was in man-to-man with what appears single safety over the top. What could’ve Dak done better? It was only 11 yards, so why couldn’t Dak have just thrown a fade to Cedric Wilson instead of making a 40-yard off balance desperation jump ball heave? Is how that pass attempt played out as a deep heave the play design or was it a broken play that Dak indeed just tossed up a prayer? It was kind of reminiscent of Miles Austin’s Lost in Lights incompletion vs Giants, but Romo read the coverage faster and had the poise to stand his ground throw an accurate ball.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
I just woke up. Pounding headache. Loudest/longest fart ever, I actually had to stop mid fart because something fell down inexplicably a few yards from me, but I finished that bitch off when I made sure it wasn’t my fart that made the thing fall.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
The fact that Terrance Steele and Tony Pollard didn’t start and play the whole game, that just tells me that money dictates the lineup card, not talent.

I don’t ever wanna hear MM say the best players will play. Hell, Gifford should have been out there running around like a kid instead of LVE.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Sturm sums it up. You reach a stage in life where you just stop giving a shit. Each of us has only so much emotional capital. Why invest any of it in a organization run by Jerry Jones? Why invest any of it in a team that folds up at crunch time every year?

Get past it, move on. Who cares?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That's true, the upside is McCarthy won't be around for 10 years.
The downside is McCarthy is a top tier coach. The next great coach we bring in will find a way to shit his proverbial pants for us as well.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Wonder if Jerry has an epiphany and goes into the draft and FA knowing he needs FOUR guys along his DL who can stop the run and pressure the QB.
Nah. That would mean he’s a GM that understands football.
Rinse and repeat.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Sturm sums it up. You reach a stage in life where you just stop giving a shit. Each of us has only so much emotional capital. Why invest any of it in a organization run by Jerry Jones? Why invest any of it in a team that folds up at crunch time every year?

Get past it, move on. Who cares?
Thats where I have been lately. I’m grateful that it’s over so I don’t have to watch the dysfunction any more.

UncleMilti

Staff member
The downside is McCarthy is a top tier coach. The next great coach we bring in will find a way to shit his proverbial pants for us as well.
McCarthy isn’t a top tier coach.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Wonder if Jerry has an epiphany and goes into the draft and FA knowing he needs FOUR guys along his DL who can stop the run and pressure the QB.
Nah. That would mean he’s a GM that understands football.
Rinse and repeat.
This team isn’t anywhere close to competing. It needs a heart transplant. Too many losers infect this roster. Tear it down.

UncleMilti

Staff member
Sure he is. Who is better? There’s like 5 maybe coaching right now who clearly are.
Way more than 5 are better than McCarthy. What has he done with Dallas that makes him top tier? Sticking his head in the sand and ignoring the warning signs when everyone saw the problems Dallas had and Dak had? That’s not top tier coaching.
Maybe if you bring Rodgers over to Dallas he’s top tier

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Here’s the long and short of it. You need an elite QB like Mahomes, Rodgers, or Brady to be a year-in, year out contender, even a year-in, year-out playoff team if you aren’t playing for a model franchise.

We don’t have one, and we aren’t a model franchise to boot. There’s no hope here at all. Things aren’t gonna be any better next year no matter what they do in free agency or the draft.

The team has to stop thinking about next year and start thinking longer term.

I would try to do a trade this year where we trade our first for a second and a first in 2023. We need some sort of edge and doing things the normal way isn’t gonna work for us.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Way more than 5 are better than McCarthy. What has he done with Dallas that makes him top tier?
Maybe if you bring Rodgers over to Dallas he’s top tier
Well he won a Super Bowl. He comes here and is stunningly average. You can expect that no matter who they hire. It’s a curse here. You can fire him and get Payton, same thing. You could go import Belichick and he won’t turn the team’s fortunes around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom