2021 NFL Coach/GM Firings/Hirings

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
After listening to Schefter this morning, I see why Culley was the hire. Schefter said there were a lot of coaches who didn't want the job. He even mentioned that Bieniemy really didn't want to interview for it. So the Texans basically settled on this guy because the job is so undesirable.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
After listening to Schefter this morning, I see why Culley was the hire. Schefter said there were a lot of coaches who didn't want the job. He even mentioned that Bieniemy really didn't want to interview for it. So the Texans basically settled on this guy because the job is so undesirable.
That's the theory that makes the most sense, but on the other hand supposedly Leslie Frazier was also in the mix and I can't imagine he wouldn't have been a better choice.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
So they hire a black head coach and he still wants out? His spoiled brat routine has become tiresome.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So they hire a black head coach and he still wants out? His spoiled brat routine has become tiresome.
Yeah I think the whole thing was an excuse, he just wants out and wanted a reason to say why he wanted out. Unfortunately it's not that easy in the NFL. This isn't like basketball where teams just swap players in and out for future picks and no real cap repercussions. Ultimately I think the Texans trade him. Their best hope may be with Jacksonville and the Texans can get Lawrence to start the building process. But who knows. I don't even know if Jacksonville would really want to do that. They are building and don't really need a highly paid finished product at QB right now.

The Jets may be a good option but than the Texans are sort of boxed in with their QB options. I guess they could pick from any QB not named Lawrence but that's a much harder sell. Justin Fields and Zach Wilson are good QB prospects but the best you're really hoping for out of them is to tread water with what you already have at QB.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I guess they could pick from any QB not named Lawrence but that's a much harder sell.
remember, they don't have a first round pick. of course, if they traded Watson to the Jets or Fins, that would be remedied and they'd be in position to nab Fields or Wilson.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
remember, they don't have a first round pick. of course, if they traded Watson to the Jets or Fins, that would be remedied and they'd be in position to nab Fields or Wilson.
I'm assuming they would get a pick like that in return. But then how do you build anything around Fields or Wilson without extra picks. You're still basically screwed. They may actually be better trying to get a boat load of picks instead of the top pick and just assuming the rebuilding process is going to take years. If they don't get a QB this year but can pack the team with young talent maybe next year they can get a QB and really start to take off.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I'm assuming they would get a pick like that in return. But then how do you build anything around Fields or Wilson without extra picks. You're still basically screwed. They may actually be better trying to get a boat load of picks instead of the top pick and just assuming the rebuilding process is going to take years. If they don't get a QB this year but can pack the team with young talent maybe next year they can get a QB and really start to take off.
you could get a shitload of picks from the Jets and they'd throw in Darnold, who'd hold down the fort for one sacrificial year

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
you could get a shitload of picks from the Jets and they'd throw in Darnold, who'd hold down the fort for one sacrificial year
Depends if the Jets are willing to give up their second pick and more picks. Darnold is a reclamation project at best. With a shit roster he would just be the guy being beat up until the next QB is ready. So to me there is little value in Darnold.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
If they don't get a QB this year but can pack the team with young talent maybe next year they can get a QB and really start to take off.
I think that should be the plan. Accept that you will suck this season and also that you will not have Watson. Grab as many picks for him as you can and rebuild from scratch. They might even be better off getting 2022 picks. If you don't have the right QB fall in place this off-season it's fine, this is a long term build.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If you hit on Fields or Wilson you've reset your cheap QB window. How does a normal terrible team rebuild around a young QB after using it's first on him? You do it with subsequent picks or in subsequent years.

The Texans will not be a competitor for a while either way, but if they can turn Watson into a 22 year old franchise QB they are coming out as well as they can.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you hit on Fields or Wilson you've reset your cheap QB window. How does a normal terrible team rebuild around a young QB after using it's first on him? You do it with subsequent picks or in subsequent years.

The Texans will not be a competitor for a while either way, but if they can turn Watson into a 22 year old franchise QB they are coming out as well as they can.
But what's the point? You already have the young franchise QB. So you swap him for a lottery ticket that if it hits maybe you get a QB of equal ability?

So you trade him away in the hopes that the next guy could be as good and have nothing additional to help build around him? I guess the answer is, what choice do you have if Watson won't play for you any longer.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Top Bottom