2021 Injuries Thread

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Just heard on the radio that Carson Wentz has decided to have surgery. Could be out up to 3 months.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
5-12 weeks for Wentz doesn't really tell you much.

I'm hoping he misses at least 3-4 games so that the Eagles hopes for a 1st from the Colts are out the window.
Yep. As long as he doesn’t hit the # of snaps needed to give Philly their 1st round pick, I’m good.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I don't see how he can
Unless I’m misunderstanding your point, if Wentz has surgery as soon as tomorrow but is out for 12 weeks, he’d likely miss the first 8 weeks of the season.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't see how he can
If he's only out 5-6 weeks from now he'd only miss a game or two, he could play the rest of the year and hit the benchmarks.

If he misses 3-4 games (which would be roughly 8-9 weeks I think) there's almost no chance he'd hit the benchmark because the Colts would definitely sit him for a few snaps here and there even if he plays the rest of the season.

If he misses the full 10-12 weeks, which would equate to about 6 games, then the possibility of a 1st is entirely out the window.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Especially since there's little incentive for the Colts to rush him back. I'm sure they're not in a hurry to give up that first.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If he's only out 5-6 weeks from now he'd only miss a game or two, he could play the rest of the year and hit the benchmarks.

If he misses 3-4 games (which would be roughly 8-9 weeks I think) there's almost no chance he'd hit the benchmark because the Colts would definitely sit him for a few snaps here and there even if he plays the rest of the season.

If he misses the full 10-12 weeks, which would equate to about 6 games, then the possibility of a 1st is entirely out the window.
Since he is already going to miss significant time, they might as well hold him out to keep the 1st.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Colts early season opponents...

Seahawks
Rams
Titans
Dolphins
Ravens
Texans

I could easily see them at 1-4 or even 0-5 going into that winnable Texans game.

If Wentz is ready for the Dolphins game I think you play him. And I think there's a chance he gets enough snaps if that's what happens.

But if he's not ready until the Ravens game, maybe keep him out another week and have him come back against a much easier Texans team.

If he's out the full 3 months than this is all moot because he's not hitting the snap threshold anyway.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Since he is already going to miss significant time, they might as well hold him out to keep the 1st.
Agreed, but there's definitely a scenario where they're like 0-3 and he's more or less ready and plays the rest of the season. It's a longshot because I think even in that scenario the Colts would hold him out for 10 or so snaps a game just to make sure they don't lose their 1st.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Colts early season opponents...

Seahawks
Rams
Titans
Dolphins
Ravens
Texans

I could easily see them at 1-4 or even 0-5 going into that winnable Texans game.

If Wentz is ready for the Dolphins game I think you play him. And I think there's a chance he gets enough snaps of that's what happens.

But if he's not ready until the Ravens game, maybe keep him out another week and have him come back against a much easier Texans team.

If he's out the full 3 months than this is all moot because he's not hitting the snap threshold anyway.
Yea they have a rough start so there's definitely an inflection point around weeks 3-4 where the season might end up being too far gone. Even if he were to play 14/17 games they'd almost certainly sit him for a few snaps here and there in blowouts or just in wildcat/RPO type packages.

If he misses 3 games they'd only have to sit him for about 10-15 snaps a game, which they could accomplish by basically just having him sit out the 2nd half of a blowout or two.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I just googled their backups. Gilbert looks like Marino in comparison.

Top Bottom