2020 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I'd also try signing Anthony Brown on a short term deal, he'd give us good depth if they let Byron walk and wouldn't feel the need to spend high pick at the position

Cujo

DCC 4Life
You aren’t finding a WR for a “fraction of the cost” with his route running ability.

What about the fact he disappears on the road? If I'm giving someone $18 mill a season, I would like to have fewer doubts. Last year he was great but are we getting that guy? If we don't, we're going to have so much tied up in the wr position, we'll have zero flexibility to fix it.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
What about the fact he disappears on the road? If I'm giving someone $18 mill a season, I would like to have fewer doubts. Last year he was great but are we getting that guy? If we don't, we're going to have so much tied up in the wr position, we'll have zero flexibility to fix it.
That's a valid concern, but as I mentioned before, I think that also has to do with how different our home approach was from our road approach.

The coaching was for more conservative on the road than it was at home.

I don't think that's going to be a problem next year.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Let Cooper walk. McCarthy has gotten it done with a bevy of anonymous receivers not on Cooper's level.
Eh, I don’t agree. I think just the opposite really. Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, James Jones, Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, these guys were all on the team at the same time. They were super deep at WR.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I think Amari Cooper is an elite player and those types of guys don't grow on trees.

He may drop a few passes here and there and his road woes have not gone unnoticed, but I think that with better offensive coaching this is a guy who can reach 1400 yards and 12+ TDs, and that sort of production is very difficult to find.

Pay the man.
I’m legitimately concerned about Cooper disengaging and disappearing. Happened in Oakland too.

But he kinda has us by the balls.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That's a valid concern, but as I mentioned before, I think that also has to do with how different our home approach was from our road approach.

I bet Cooper does still disappear next year on the road.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Eh, I don’t agree. I think just the opposite really. Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, James Jones, Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, these guys were all on the team at the same time. They were super deep at WR.
aren't you kinda making my point? he (or Mark Murphy) managed to find excellent receivers outside of the first round and didn't need to pay them mucho bucks.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
aren't you kinda making my point? he (or Mark Murphy) managed to find excellent receivers outside of the first round and didn't need to pay them mucho bucks.
Ok but we don't need to limit his cupboard to start off with, let him have Cooper and hopefully we can get a wr pipeline going but it will take a couple years at least

Cujo

DCC 4Life

I hope you're right. Dak and Cooper will make 5 big contracts in about 12 months. I know we have a lot of cap room but it seems like we're going to burn through it quickly. We have to be able to replace some guys with draft picks or we'll be back to mortgaging the future again.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He was a 1200 yard reciever. We haven't had that since Dez. If most come at home who cares? Gallup will get his in the road.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hope you're right. Dak and Cooper will make 5 big contracts in about 12 months. I know we have a lot of cap room but it seems like we're going to burn through it quickly. We have to be able to replace some guys with draft picks or we'll be back to mortgaging the future again.
So you mortgage the future and then when Daks time runs up you have a new QB on a cheap contract. I see no problem with that strategy. You can't save forever.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
So you mortgage the future and then when Daks time runs up you have a new QB on a cheap contract. I see no problem with that strategy. You can't save forever.

2 of the deals already look like mistakes. 2 out of 3. Those are bad odds. How many more bad deals can we absorb before we waste several years due to dead money or non-performing stars? Hopefully, it's coaching like you say. I would let McCarthy weigh in heavily on who we're re-signing. If he's good with it, then I feel better.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
2 of the deals already look like mistakes. 2 out of 3. Those are bad odds. How many more bad deals can we absorb before we waste several years due to dead money or non-performing stars? Hopefully, it's coaching like you say. I would let McCarthy weigh in heavily on who we're re-signing. If he's good with it, then I feel better.
You don't make a mistake letting Cooper go because you made a mistake keeping Zeke on that fucking deal. One mistake doesn't justify making the other. Should have never resigned Zeke and inly reaigned Cooper.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
You don't make a mistake letting Cooper go because you made a mistake keeping Zeke on that fucking deal. One mistake doesn't justify making the other. Should have never resigned Zeke and inly reaigned Cooper.
Unless Zeke turns it around next season, that deal is going to look ultra retarded. He simply isn't the same back we saw as a rookie.
Still one of the best, but not the dynamic guy we drafted. Lot of money tied up in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom