2019 Random NFL Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I like the idea of a booth referee being able to overturn clear mistakes better. Even though that would make games longer than this OPI/DPI change, I don't like the implications this rule has where coaches/players could use it as a strategic weapon.

Inevitably there will be a scenario where a team is down 7 with less than 2 minutes to go, 4th and 11 or something, and the offense will run something where they've predetermined that they're going to try to induce a review on a jump ball downfield.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What are you all up in arms about? Coaches are still limited to two challenges, so it isn't going to slow the game down. I like the change. Imagine OBJ getting called for pushing off Brandon Carr on his "infamous" catch.
You'll see. Its going to end in a lot of games being decided by a ref watching a replay in a booth and deciding to make a call he shouldn't.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I like the idea of a booth referee being able to overturn clear mistakes better. Even though that would make games longer than this OPI/DPI change, I don't like the implications this rule has where coaches/players could use it as a strategic weapon.

Inevitably there will be a scenario where a team is down 7 with less than 2 minutes to go, 4th and 11 or something, and the offense will run something where they've predetermined that they're going to try to induce a review on a jump ball downfield.
Who cares? If they try to use it as a weapon and lose, they still lose a challenge. I'm not understanding this line of thinking.

Cotton

Staff member
You'll see. Its going to end in a lot of games being decided by a ref watching a replay in a booth and deciding to make a call he shouldn't.
There is the potential for that now. How would this change anything, outside of it being challenged for a different reason? They don't get "extra" challenges.

Cotton

Staff member

Exactly my point.

Cotton

Staff member

WTH?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

WTH?
Such horseshit. It all depends how much Goodell likes you I guess

Cotton

Staff member
Such horseshit. It all depends how much Goodell likes you I guess
It has been said before, but it bears repeating... there is zero consistency in how Goodell's NFL conducts business.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Evidently Romo is looking for $10M/year to stay at CBS after 2019.
Per Michael McCarthy of Sporting News, Romo's camp is seeking a new contract extension that would pay the former Dallas Cowboys quarterback at least $10 million per year to remain at CBS after the 2019 season.

That salary would make Romo the highest-paid television analyst in sports history, with McCarthy noting Troy Aikman makes $7.5 million from Fox and Jon Gruden used to earn $6.5 million from ESPN for Monday Night Football.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2828043-tony-romo-reportedly-wants-10m-a-year-to-stay-with-cbs-sports-as-nfl-analyst

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Eh. Howard has fallen hard. Would much rather draft a guy.
Yeah his YPC has trended downward over the last few years. It happens with big backs like that. They take a lot of pounding and they go downhill fairly young. This move doesn't worry me at all about Philly even though I'm sure it will be billed as some type of a big move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom