2019 Random NFL Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Never mind. I just realized you were talking about Darren Woodson.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Lots of NFL news being spit out at the moment. They've announced some end of season awards as well as some hall of fame inductees.

Hall of Fame Inductees:
Troy Polamalu
Steve Atwater
Edgerrin James
Isaac Bruce
Steve Hutchinson

DPOY: Stephon Gilmore
DROY: Joey Bosa
Rookie of the Year / OROY: Kyler Murray
I don't love Edgerrin James getting in.

I won't like Frank Gore getting in either.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't love Edgerrin James getting in.

I won't like Frank Gore getting in either.
Rewarding longevity.

I hate to be "that guy" but I still can't get how Woodson and Pearson don't get in and guys like Atwater and especially James do.

There is a broken process with the HOF selection committee.

I can't for a second even consider of the greatest players of the last 10-15 years and then all of the sudden I value Edgerrin James' career.

He was good. But seriously? I can't think of a damn thing he did what was even close to being noteworthy other than being durable.

Genghis Khan

Rewarding longevity.

I hate to be "that guy" but I still can't get how Woodson and Pearson don't get in and guys like Atwater and especially James do.

I can't for a second even consider of the greatest players of the last 10-15 years that I value Edgerrin James' career.

He was good. But seriously? I can't think of a damn thing he did what was even close to being noteworthy other than being durable.
Yep, exactly. There isn't a single season that I considered James or Gore among the top two or three RBs.

data

Forbes #1
Rewarding longevity.

I can't for a second even consider of the greatest players of the last 10-15 years and then all of the sudden I value Edgerrin James' career.

Weirdest thing is he did jack shit in the playoffs. No Super Bowl wins.

We already have a Curtis Martin. Why do we need a worse version of Curtis Martin in the HOF?

data

Forbes #1
Atwater but still no Woodson.
Don’t hold your breath.

They’ll put in Lynch and Butler in before Woodson.

Hell, Darren Sharper had a better chance before he, well, ummm, I’ll let you google that one...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Weirdest thing is he did jack shit in the playoffs. No Super Bowl wins.

We already have a Curtis Martin. Why do we need a worse version of Curtis Martin in the HOF?
I have no idea.

And back to Atwater. What the fuck did he do except provide the woo hits?

Granted, he was what Dallas thought they had with Roy Williams, but I don't consider him a lock HOF.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Don’t hold your breath.

They’ll put in Lynch and Butler in before Woodson.

Hell, Darren Sharper had a better chance before he, well, ummm, I’ll let you google that one...
The only thing you can bank on is that maybe this broke the tendency against undervaluing safeties.

Maybe when Darren is dead, he can get in on a senior vote.

data

Forbes #1
Maybe when Darren is dead, he can get in on a senior vote.
Very well may be if Woody isn’t indicted by the time Eric Berry and Earl Thomas are eligible.

Considering the Cowboys won back to back Super Bowls 92-93, they only have HOF four players - Triplets and Haley.

Genghis Khan

Very well may be if Woody isn’t indicted by the time Eric Berry and Earl Thomas are eligible.

Considering the Cowboys won back to back Super Bowls 92-93, they only have HOF four players - Triplets and Haley.
Deion and Larry Allen too.

Genghis Khan

They weren’t on the 92-93 teams.
Woodson was barely a contributor in 92.

If the argument is that more players should be in from a team that won 3 out of 4, then all contributors to that matter. Without Deion and Allen, they might have only won back to back instead of 3 out of 4, and that changes the argument.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

data

Forbes #1
Woodson was barely a contributor in 92.

If the argument is that more players should be in from a team that won 3 out of 4, then all contributors to that matter. Without Deion and Allen, they might have only won back to back instead of 3 out of 4, and that changes the argument.
My point is moreso that Jimmy’s Cowboys have 4 HOFers and Woodson was Jimmy’s draft pick.

Deion and Larry allen were post-Jimmy.

Of the 92-93 teams, I can’t really make a strong case for anyone else being in the HOF - maybe Moose, but FBs are undervalued by them. Erik Williams was playing HOF level before the accident, but that was only a couple years. Nate Newton would be the strongest case for Pro Bowl calibre and career longevity.

If Eli Manning gets in the HOF for his Super Bowl heroics, then James Washington would be the Eli Manning of safeties. Arguably the real MVP of SB 28, he also had a pivotal early INT in SB 27.

As for other back-to-back teams, the 88-89 49ers have the same number with Montana, Rice, Haley and Lott in. Roger Craig can’t break in.

72-73 Dolphins have Czonka, Griese, Buoniconti, Little and Langer.

The 60s Packers and 70s Steelers have like 10 players each.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

data

Forbes #1
Here’s another thing about Eli Manning.

His HOF-proponents biggest claim is the two SB MVP performances. However, it wasn’t like Eli went Nick Foles for 400 yards, 4TDs and 40 points.

The Giants offense scored 17 and 21 points and won both games. How rare is it to score <21 points and win games the past 15 years?

The MVPs really are the defensive unit, limiting the Patriots to 14 and 17 points.

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
The only thing that bothers me about the Brady tweet is the timing of it.

Dude, it's Super Bowl week. Be a professional and allow the Kansas City and San Francisco coaches and players to have their moment in the spotlight. For most of those guys this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Sending this out now just screams "LOOK AT ME!". And I've never viewed Tom Brady as that type of guy, so it's a bit surprising.

He should have saved the attention whoring for next week. Would have had the same impact. Plus there are no 2020 league year clocks that started this week, so again, why rush to throw something like this out there when we're still almost 2 months away from the FA signing period.
I heard its a teaser for a super bowl ad

if that makes any difference

data

Forbes #1
Hell, if you look at the eight-game playoff run, the Giants only scored more than 24 points once.

If you look at Flacco’s 4-game run, the lowest they scored was 24 points, exceeding 30 points twice including the Super Bowl.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom