2019 Draft Chatter Thread...

Carp

DCC 4Life
  • Jerry Jones didn’t mind telling reporters after the press conference that Virginia safety Juan Thornhill was the other player the Cowboys were coveting before the Trysten Hill pick. “He fit. We liked him. He really fit (our scheme),” Jones said. “We were ready to go with him. But we took our preference.”
Ugh.... Fucking Marinelli
I know S is a spot of need, but so has a difference maker at DT. They see that in him. Quite frankly, I like Xavier Woods to get more time this year. I think you will also see a secondary FA market of teams moving on from vets for their drafted players.

Carp

DCC 4Life
The McGovern pick was true value. On the surface it seemed odd, but I like it better than having to force an early pick at G next year to fill Collins spot as Williams shifts to RT. Last year is a great example where Williams was not ready, got hurt, and left us in a bad spot having already lost Frederick.

Deionte Thompson is a guy I think is on par with the S that went in the 3rd.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I revere Jim Brown as much as the next guy, but every time they show this guy on a telecast the announcers act like we should be throwing rose petals and singing hymns every time we see him.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
[h=3]NFC East[/h]

Dallas Cowboys
Draft picks: UCF DT Trysten Hill (No. 58 overall); Penn State OG Connor McGovern (No. 90)
Day 1 grade: A
Day 2 grade: A
Overall grade: A
Draft analysis: Amari Cooper showed what he could become when teaming with Dak Prescott last year. Yes, Dallas gave up a first-round pick to get him, but let's remember -- he's just 24 years old, not a veteran who will be in his 30s before too long. If the team can't sign him to a long-term deal, then the grade gets adjusted downward, but I don't see that happening.

Replacing David Irving just got easier with Hill bringing his quick get-off to Dallas. McGovern could play guard or center, depending on the health of veteran pivot Travis Frederick. Look for Jerry Jones to try and find more weapons for the offense on Saturday.

New York Giants
Draft picks: Duke QB Daniel Jones (No. 6 overall); Clemson DT Dexter Lawrence (No. 17 overall); Georgia CB Deandre Baker (No. 30 overall); Old Dominion DE Oshane Ximines (No. 95)
Day 1 grade: B
Day 2 grade: B
Overall grade: B
Draft analysis: I mentioned Jones as a sensible replacement for Eli Manning back in November. The QB possesses a lot of positive traits, and it was time for the Giants to find a successor for Manning. However, many people do not believe Jones is an elite prospect, so the value of the pick will be questioned until he proves otherwise. They received an extra first-rounder in the trade of Odell Beckhamto the Browns, and they selected Lawrence, a massive defensive tackle, with the pick. If he shows the ability to push the pocket as well as provide a wall inside, he'll be a major success. GM David Gettleman moved back into Round 1 to pick Baker, the top prospect at a position of need, giving up two Saturday picks (which they had a lot of) in the deal.

Ximines should be a great fit for the Giants. He's agile and strong on the edge, where they needed an upgrade. But the team really needed to improve its offensive line; addressing the position is a must for Day 3.

Philadelphia Eagles
Draft picks: Washington State OT Andre Dillard (No. 22 overall); Penn State RB Miles Sanders (No. 53); Stanford WR J.J. Arcega-Whiteside (No. 57)
Draft analysis: Jason Peters has had a great NFL career, but he's 37 years old and his contract is due to expire after next season. Dillard and Lane Johnsonwill form a great tandem whenever Peters moves on, and giving up a late fourth- and sixth-rounder to trade up for Dillard was more than acceptable to get an elite pass protector.

The Eagles decided not to pick Alabama RB Josh Jacobs in the first round, but they got the second-best back in the draft in the second round. Sanders will be an impact back who could see his role grow quickly with Jordan Howard due to become a free agent after the 2019 season. Arcega-Whiteside will be a red-zone stud and general safety valve for Carson Wentz. Expect the Eagles to go defense with their limited Day 3 selections (two picks).

Washington Redskins
Draft picks: Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins (No. 15 overall); Mississippi State OLB Montez Sweat (No. 26 overall); Ohio State WR Terry McLaurin (No. 76)
Day 1 grade: B+
Overall grade: A-
Draft analysis: The fact that they did not have to move up to get Haskins was a major bonus. His arm is live and he has the ability to distribute the football to all parts of the field. Given the murky future of Alex Smith, finding Haskins waiting for them at No. 15 could prove to be franchise-changing. Finally, Washington traded up to grab Sweat, who will be a fine pass rusher if his heart condition does not prevent him from reaching his potential. They really needed depth at outside linebacker, where Sweat fits quite well. I am generally not enamored with giving up future second-round picks, but this guy's talent is worthy of taking that sort of chance.

Haskins' arm and McLaurin's speed will team up to make big plays in Washington as they did in Columbus. The Redskins have several picks Saturday to address the offensive line and various spots on defense.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know S is a spot of need, but so has a difference maker at DT. They see that in him. Quite frankly, I like Xavier Woods to get more time this year. I think you will also see a secondary FA market of teams moving on from vets for their drafted players.
Yeah I have no problem taking a DT over a safety. I have a problem taking Hill over Thornhill. Thornhill is the better and safer prospect. Thornhill has ball skills. I don't see the elite pass rush potential in Hill to over come all the other issues he has.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The McGovern pick was true value. On the surface it seemed odd, but I like it better than having to force an early pick at G next year to fill Collins spot as Williams shifts to RT. Last year is a great example where Williams was not ready, got hurt, and left us in a bad spot having already lost Frederick.

Deionte Thompson is a guy I think is on par with the S that went in the 3rd.
Seeing the bad reaches other teams are making on Olineman because of need I like this pick. Our Oline is our bread and butter on offense. Best to make it strong for years to come and not be forced to panic next year. Especially if he was clearly the best on the board. I actually really like the player even though Center/Guard wasn't a top need yet.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
NFC East

Dallas Cowboys
Draft picks: UCF DT Trysten Hill (No. 58 overall); Penn State OG Connor McGovern (No. 90)
Draft analysis: Amari Cooper showed what he could become when teaming with Dak Prescott last year. Yes, Dallas gave up a first-round pick to get him, but let's remember -- he's just 24 years old, not a veteran who will be in his 30s before too long. If the team can't sign him to a long-term deal, then the grade gets adjusted downward, but I don't see that happening.

Replacing David Irving just got easier with Hill bringing his quick get-off to Dallas. McGovern could play guard or center, depending on the health of veteran pivot Travis Frederick. Look for Jerry Jones to try and find more weapons for the offense on Saturday.

New York Giants
Draft picks: Duke QB Daniel Jones (No. 6 overall); Clemson DT Dexter Lawrence (No. 17 overall); Georgia CB Deandre Baker (No. 30 overall); Old Dominion DE Oshane Ximines (No. 95)
Day 1 grade: B
Day 2 grade: B
Overall grade: B
Draft analysis: I mentioned Jones as a sensible replacement for Eli Manning back in November. The QB possesses a lot of positive traits, and it was time for the Giants to find a successor for Manning. However, many people do not believe Jones is an elite prospect, so the value of the pick will be questioned until he proves otherwise. They received an extra first-rounder in the trade of Odell Beckhamto the Browns, and they selected Lawrence, a massive defensive tackle, with the pick. If he shows the ability to push the pocket as well as provide a wall inside, he'll be a major success. GM David Gettleman moved back into Round 1 to pick Baker, the top prospect at a position of need, giving up two Saturday picks (which they had a lot of) in the deal.

Ximines should be a great fit for the Giants. He's agile and strong on the edge, where they needed an upgrade. But the team really needed to improve its offensive line; addressing the position is a must for Day 3.

Philadelphia Eagles
Draft picks: Washington State OT Andre Dillard (No. 22 overall); Penn State RB Miles Sanders (No. 53); Stanford WR J.J. Arcega-Whiteside (No. 57)
Draft analysis: Jason Peters has had a great NFL career, but he's 37 years old and his contract is due to expire after next season. Dillard and Lane Johnsonwill form a great tandem whenever Peters moves on, and giving up a late fourth- and sixth-rounder to trade up for Dillard was more than acceptable to get an elite pass protector.

The Eagles decided not to pick Alabama RB Josh Jacobs in the first round, but they got the second-best back in the draft in the second round. Sanders will be an impact back who could see his role grow quickly with Jordan Howard due to become a free agent after the 2019 season. Arcega-Whiteside will be a red-zone stud and general safety valve for Carson Wentz. Expect the Eagles to go defense with their limited Day 3 selections (two picks).

Washington Redskins
Draft picks: Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins (No. 15 overall); Mississippi State OLB Montez Sweat (No. 26 overall); Ohio State WR Terry McLaurin (No. 76)
Day 1 grade: B+
Overall grade: A-
Draft analysis: The fact that they did not have to move up to get Haskins was a major bonus. His arm is live and he has the ability to distribute the football to all parts of the field. Given the murky future of Alex Smith, finding Haskins waiting for them at No. 15 could prove to be franchise-changing. Finally, Washington traded up to grab Sweat, who will be a fine pass rusher if his heart condition does not prevent him from reaching his potential. They really needed depth at outside linebacker, where Sweat fits quite well. I am generally not enamored with giving up future second-round picks, but this guy's talent is worthy of taking that sort of chance.

Haskins' arm and McLaurin's speed will team up to make big plays in Washington as they did in Columbus. The Redskins have several picks Saturday to address the offensive line and various spots on defense.
When the Eagles get an A for their shit day 2 picks it sort of makes me feel worse about the A they gave us.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Yeah I have no problem taking a DT over a safety. I have a problem taking Hill over Thornhill. Thornhill is the better and safer prospect. Thornhill has ball skills. I don't see the elite pass rush potential in Hill to over come all the other issues he has.
It bothers me when people tell me a player is safe pick. How is he safer than Hill? They are all projections and Hill is projected as having a better chance to be a starter.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It bothers me when people tell me a player is safe pick. How is he safer than Hill? They are all projections and Hill is projected as having a better chance to be a starter.
Why do you think he has a better shot at starting? He didn't start on his college team. Plus with Crawford and Collins also playing 3 technique it's probably going to be rotating in as a backup. Which is ok by the way.

Thornhill over Heath is a no brainer. Thornhill has better ball skills, is a better athlete and frankly just a better ssfety in general. And oh yeah he can play some corner if you need him to. And Thornhill is a guy who has shown the ability to be a ballhawk in college. My problem with Hill is that he didn't even show the ability to produce sacks in college. He is all projection.

Donpingon

DCC 4Life
All i remember last year was how LVE was the next coming of Bobby Carpenter. McClay has earned the benefit of the doubt, onwards and upwards with Hill

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
All i remember last year was how LVE was the next coming of Bobby Carpenter. McClay has earned the benefit of the doubt, onwards and upwards with Hill
Only retards like Bipo said that. LVE was a stud in college. And had high character.

Taco is a better comparison. Talent with an attitude.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I revere Jim Brown as much as the next guy, but every time they show this guy on a telecast the announcers act like we should be throwing rose petals and singing hymns every time we see him.
Did you see that he said “the 2013 draft”?

Carp

DCC 4Life
Why do you think he has a better shot at starting? He didn't start on his college team. Plus with Crawford and Collins also playing 3 technique it's probably going to be rotating in as a backup. Which is ok by the way.

Thornhill over Heath is a no brainer. Thornhill has better ball skills, is a better athlete and frankly just a better ssfety in general. And oh yeah he can play some corner if you need him to. And Thornhill is a guy who has shown the ability to be a ballhawk in college. My problem with Hill is that he didn't even show the ability to produce sacks in college. He is all projection.
He didn't start because Heupel is a fat bitch. He was excellent under Frost. I look at projections...I am not expert, but his possible starting chance was rated higher than Thornhill...on places like NFL.com.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
  • Jerry Jones didn’t mind telling reporters after the press conference that Virginia safety Juan Thornhill was the other player the Cowboys were coveting before the Trysten Hill pick. “He fit. We liked him. He really fit (our scheme),” Jones said. “We were ready to go with him. But we took our preference.”
It's not a bad idea to prioritize the line over the secondary.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Seeing the bad reaches other teams are making on Olineman because of need I like this pick. Our Oline is our bread and butter on offense. Best to make it strong for years to come and not be forced to panic next year. Especially if he was clearly the best on the board. I actually really like the player even though Center/Guard wasn't a top need yet.
I see this as Fredbeard insurance partly. Also, for when Collins walks in free agency.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He didn't start because Heupel is a fat bitch. He was excellent under Frost. I look at projections...I am not expert, but his possible starting chance was rated higher than Thornhill...on places like NFL.com.
And my opinion is that NFL.com has overrated him. At this point we will just have to wait and see. His 2 sacks as a sophomore don't inspire much either. I really hope I'm wrong. I just don't see him as the solution to our 3 technique problem. But I would love to eat crow on this one.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
It’s not what I would have done, but I can’t really hate on adding 600+ pounds to the roster. It’s when they go all flash that it pisses me off.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I want Amani Hooker at this point. He would pair perfectly with Woods at safety.

I expect a RB next however. I'm ok with it as long as they didn't just lock in on the position.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Fuck me. :budd

Top Bottom