2019 Cowboys Free Agency Thread

p1_

DCC 4Life
Report: Malik McDowell suffered extensive brain and eye trauma

ByDerek Lewis Apr 18, 2018

The situation with the Seattle Seahawks top 2017 draft pick, Malik McDowell, has cost all parties so much. Of course, the most tragic part remains McDowell's quality of life. Without knowing the full extent of the damage, any injury that threatens a career likely isn't any fun to endure on a daily basis. Speaking of his career, the injuries suffered have already cost him his rookie season in 2017 and remain career-threatening at this point. From the team's perspective, they'll lose their highest draft pick from 2017 and a potential pass-rushing dynamo with the frame and speed to shift to multiple place along their defensive line.

The injury has already cost them wide receiver Jermaine Kearse and a second-round pick because they were tasked with filling the void and traded for defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson to do just that. In the end, all three assets were lost for nothing. It appears the team won't even secure a compensatory pick back for Richardson who left in free agency for the Minnesota Vikings, as they've signed more players than they've lost this offseason. So it's been significant damage for both sides.

But up until this point, McDowell's damage has remained a mystery for the most part. It's known the ATV accident prior to training camp that started this fiasco caused a concussion issues and facial injuries but it's been unknown why those injuries have been so devastating. Although the full picture hasn't come into view as of yet. More information is slowly coming to the forefront.

According to Yahoo Sports' Charles Robinson, McDowell suffered extensive brain and eye trauma from the accident and it's been clear from the beginning it was a long shot he'd ever play again, despite the young defenders claims to the contrary early amid the original chaos.

"My injury is not life or career threatening as some have speculated," McDowell released via statement in last July immediately following the incident. "I am grateful for the support I've received from the Seahawks organization, my doctors and my family. You will see me back on the field in the near future."

As of now, the near future remains at a distance. The team's first 2017 second-round pick has not been cleared by the Seahawks medical staff and reportedly could be released very soon with McDowell hoping another team will clear him. However, that course of action seems unlikely, if the team that's already invested so much in him and a potential stopgap replacement no longer has faith in a recovery. If they do release McDowell, it could prompt them to look defensive tackle much earlier than expected in the 2018 draft.

The team has young options for the future in Jarran Reed and Nazair Jones and even some stopgap options for 2018 with veterans Tom Johnson and Shamar Stephen. But none can boast the versatility that McDowell had to offer. With first-round talent, questions about his motor and dedication dropped him to round two but there were no questions about his ability.

Can the Seahawks find their way to another player like McDowell this season with the size and athleticism to play all across their line? If not, they do have defensive end Dion Jordan who has similar attributes to fill a void previously encapsulated by Michael Bennett. But, you can never have too many versatile defensive lineman.

Meanwhile, in terms of McDowell and his future, the more information that comes out the less it feels likely he'll ever step foot on a practice field let alone a NFL field. Yet and still, more information needs to emerge and likely will, especially if the team releases him as reported.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That lineup is more or less impossible since Witten will be starting over Jarwin for sure. The only way Witten is not starting come week 1 is if you end up drafting a TE in the second or third round who is way better than the current garbage we have filling out our TE depth chart. That's not to say Jarwin is completely useless but he's simply not a complete enough player or lethal enough in any one aspect (such as down field receiving) to warrant a starting spot over Witten and his reliability. Draft Hockenstein and we are having a different discussion.

But put Witten in the lineup and I'll feel great about it, or at least as great as I can going into the season with a QB who isn't elite and who I'm a little unsure of what I'm gonna get.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That lineup is more or less impossible since Witten will be starting over Jarwin for sure. The only way Witten is not starting come week 1 is if you end up drafting a TE in the second or third round who is way better than the current garbage we have filling out our TE depth chart. That's not to say Jarwin is completely useless but he's simply not a complete enough player or lethal enough in any one aspect (such as down field receiving) to warrant a starting spot over Witten and his reliability. Draft Hockenstein and we are having a different discussion.

But put Witten in the lineup and I'll feel great about it, or at least as great as I can going into the season with a QB who isn't elite and who I'm a little unsure of what I'm gonna get.
Witten or Jarwin, thats the only position I feel bad about from that lineup.

p1_

DCC 4Life

How are you so sure Witten is "ahead" of Jarwin?

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Witten starts, c'mon. He wouldn't be coming back otherwise.

Jarwin assumes the worthless TE2 spot manned in the past by Anthony Fasano, Martellus Bennett, and whatever that Mexican's name was.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Witten starts, c'mon. He wouldn't be coming back otherwise.

Jarwin assumes the worthless TE2 spot manned in the past by Anthony Fasano, Martellus Bennett, and whatever that Mexican's name was.
i just dont think we will feature Witten like before, he's too god damned slow. Period.

We cant let him be a drag on the improvement of the offense and/or the TE group.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
i just dont think we will feature Witten like before, he's too god damned slow. Period.

We cant let him be a drag on the improvement of the offense and/or the TE group.
I really hope you're right. I actually think as a receiver Witten would be a detriment to this offense. He is too slow and it leads to killing drives.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
How are you so sure Witten is "ahead" of Jarwin?
Witten is a favorite son around here. He wouldn't have returned without talking to Garrett and Jerry and the conversation going something like, "Hey, let's get the band back together." He's not coming here to put himself through the grind of training camp and practice to ride the pine while the team makes the playoffs. The expectation of him is that he re-inherits his old starting position since there's no serious competition, and that he will be roughly the same quality of player he was when he retired.

If either of those suppositions proves BLATANTLY untrue, then I suppose you could see him benched, but he'll get first bite at the apple. Again, I'm sure this return came with the caveat that he couldn't be ordering subs off the field, and that he has to make room for an heir apparent, because it is very obvious his time is very short. But he's not coming off the field for Blake Jarwin, unless Jarwin is the player he was against the Giants and not the player he was the other 15 weeks. Jarwin is at best like an Eric Bjornson, and maybe that's an ok starter if pressed into service, but when the all time leader in games played for your franchise returns, he will get chance A, B and C to start.

The real wildcard here is if they draft someone like Hockenstein. That's a first round talent player who could force us to say, "Hey Witt, move over, you need to split starter snaps with this guy, cause he's our starter next year whether you return or not." A player like that is good enough. Jarwin is not -- again, unless he's the Week 17 player we saw, and not the Week 1-16 player we saw.

I don't have a ton of faith in Jarwin. He doesn't strike me as a special teams ace. He's not a big plus as a blocker. He's a receiving tight end who is basically ok at receiving, but not great. He has overcome more and accomplished more than anyone would expect as an undrafted free agent. You might even say a success. And he could probably latch on elsewhere as a backup and bounce around for a handful more years, contributing here and there to needy teams. He has enough talent for that. But I just do not see him as a core starter, especially not with what we expect out of our TEs here.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Its Hockenson and he is gone in the first round. Probably top 15 picks.
yeah we're not drafting the cream of the TE crop, and if Witten is alone at the top of the group, then we have failed miserably yet again in our attempts to move on. I expect Witten to be part of the mix, but this isnt his team anymore. He's playing a supporting role because he flopped in the broadcast booth and this is a graceful way to bow out. He doesnt add much value to the team IMO.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Its Hockenson and he is gone in the first round. Probably top 15 picks.
Whatever.... just saying, there are 3-4 really good TEs at the top of this draft. TE is not a priority position, one may fall to 58, or within striking distance.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Whatever.... just saying, there are 3-4 really good TEs at the top of this draft. TE is not a priority position, one may fall to 58, or within striking distance.
You show way too much faith in a 36 year old TE who averaged 8.9 ypc last time he played and hasn't played football in over a year. If that's really the guy you think is "best" on our roster at TE, then that's a serious problem. A liability really.

But yeah there are 3 TE's in this draft who I think could start from day one in Dallas with no questions asked. Fant, Hockenson and Irv. After those three I think a guy like Sternberger or even Caleb Wilson would still be the best TE on our roster right away but it would still worry me. Caleb Wilson especially intrigues me. Some will pin him as a workout warrior because he ran a 4.56 forty and looked great at the combine. But the guy also had 960 yards receiving this past year. 1675 total receiving yards over 3 years is nothing to scoff at. I wouldn't call him a sleeper but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up a really good NFL TE.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Drafting a TE in the 4th or later seems like a wasted pick to me. We've tried that several times, hoping for that "diamond in the rough". Seems to me all you're gonna get is a blocker at that point in the draft.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Tight end is deep in this draft .

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Drafting a TE in the 4th or later seems like a wasted pick to me. We've tried that several times, hoping for that "diamond in the rough". Seems to me all you're gonna get is a blocker at that point in the draft.
This class is probably one of the deepest we've seen in a long, long time. There will still be good TEs to be had in the 4th and 5th. Guys like Josh Oliver, Jace Sternberger, Kahale Warring, etc will be taken later than they would be in a normal draft just because there are so many good TEs at the top.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

p1_

DCC 4Life
This class is probably one of the deepest we've seen in a long, long time. There will still be good TEs to be had in the 4th and 5th. Guys like Josh Oliver, Jace Sternberger, Kahale Warring, etc will be taken later than they would be in a normal draft just because there are so many good TEs at the top.
I expect us to get one. it would dumb not to with this depth available.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I expect us to get one. it would dumb not to with this depth available.
Agreed. Barring something crazy happening like one of the big 3 falling to us in the second, I hope we get one with one of our 4ths. One of the guys I mentioned above should be there, and I'd be happy with any of them. I don't think there is a big difference between them and guys that will go in the 2nd and 3rd. Guys like Kaden Smith. He's probably going to be rated higher than the ones I mentioned, but I don't think the difference is all that much. Certainly not a round or two different. Give me a DL and safety that are worthy of the draft position with our first two picks, then grab a TE in the 4th.

I know targeting specific positions isn't smart business, but that's just my ideal situation if it turned out that way. I'd even take both DL if the right guys were there. I would be happy with something like Khalen Saunders and Daylon Mack with our first two picks. Depending on who else is there, of course.

Then give me the best WR or RB left with our other 4th. Or safety if we go with two DL.

• Props
Reactions: p1_
Top Bottom