2018 UDFA's

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Kelly and Lanning are really nice signings, Chunn and Wells are solid too. The rest, meh.

midswat

... soon
High character guy. Works hard, teammates love him. Started every game since freshman year. Good size.

And all of that is like hearing “she has a great personality” when your friend tries to set you up with a woman.

One thing I’ll say about Tennessee players under the Butch Jones era - they’re underdeveloped, poorly coached, and sometimes improperly utilized. That’s why you see Kamara get a total of 1k yards at UT then win OROY. Or Khalil McKenzie spend his entire time sucking at DT, and an NFL teams immediately say he’s a guard.

During the spring game this year, the announcer for the SEC network who used to be a qb at UA (name escapes me) was discussing the difference he’s noticed in our new coaching staff compared to Butch Jones practices. He made the comment that under Butch, it was loud music, coaches screaming in megaphones, slower paced and a lot of down time. Commented how Pruitt runs it like UA now and there’s a noticeable difference. Everyone is always working.

On top of that, the S&C program Butch employed was not sec level and that’s why so many Vols had so many injuries the past few years. How most of these kids have put on significant weight since December.

All of this rambling is simply to illustrate why I think guys like Rashaan Gaulden and John Kelly will be better than people think. Can apply to Robertson as well. If you give him a real S&C program and quality coaching, then he could be better than anyone anticipates. Because he’s gotten this far without the benefit of that.

I think he’s a PS candidate to start, and I hope he can develop.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Garbage, eh?

Who should we have signed? Besides Poona Ford who maybe didn’t want to sign here.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Well, one thing's for certain. The Tennessee Titan's clearly won the UDFA signing period.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I feel like draft boards are getting more uniform and high value UDFAs are getting more rare.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I have no idea who this guy is. But hey, he's blessed and stuff.

p1_

DCC 4Life
What to make of Cowboys' long list of undrafted free agents, including three safeties with chance to compete

By Brandon George , Staff Writer Contact Brandon George on Twitter: @DMN_George

FRISCO - A quick glance of the Cowboys' roster tells you how important it is to pay attention to the undrafted rookie free agents they sign.

Every year, the Cowboys emphasize their undrafted free agent class because it's paid off for them time and time again.

Tony Romo stands out among the many undrafted free agents who have played a big role over the years for the Cowboys.

But even now, the Cowboys have five undrafted players who are difference-makers for them: starting right tackle La'el Collins, starting safety Jeff Heath, Pro Bowl kicker Dan Bailey, receiver Cole Beasley and backup running back Rod Smith.

This year's Cowboys undrafted rookie free agent class consists of 17 players so far, including three safeties - San Diego State's Kameron Kelly, Oregon's Tyree Robinson and Northwestern's Kyle Queiro - who could help with depth at a position of need.

If the season started today, Xavier Woods and Heath would be the Cowboys' starting safeties after Byron Jones was moved back to cornerback. But Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said Saturday he'd like to bring in a player to compete with Woods for the starting job opposite of Heath.

Perhaps one of the Cowboys' three undrafted rookie free agent safeties can emerge in offseason practices and training camp.

Kelly is the most intriguing of the three safeties. Several scouts believed he'd be drafted, some as high as the mid-rounds. Kelly is a local product from Wylie High School.

At 6-2, 204, Kelly has a long frame and he's a former high school receiver who has good hands. He's not particularly fast however, with a 40-yard speed of 4.66 seconds.

In 2015, he started 13 games at safety before spending most of his junior season in 2016 as a reserve but had five interceptions. Two of those interceptions came in his only start as a junior in the Las Vegas Bowl against Houston. As a senior, Kelly played cornerback and had 68 tackles, two sacks and three interceptions.

Robinson (6-2, 202) is the fastest of the three undrafted rookie free agent safeties with a 4.54-second 40 time.

In 2015, he made a mid-season shift from safety to cornerback and led the Ducks with three interceptions. He was fourth on the team with 64 tackles. In 2016, Robinson started 11 games (the first two at safety before converting to cornerback) and finished with 53 tackles. Last season, Robinson started 12 games at safety and had 48 tackles and two fumble recoveries.

Before Robinson's freshman year at Oregon he was charged with a misdemeanor count of physical harassment for slapping another man's girlfriend on the rear end when she wouldn't leave his Eugene, Ore., residence.

Queiro (6-2, 215) proved to be a playmaker at Northwestern, although his 40 time isn't impressive at 4.71 seconds. He was a two-year starter at safety and finished his college career with 132 tackles (nine for loss) and eight interceptions. His most memorable picks came in the fourth quarter against Stanford in 2015 and Kentucky in 2017 in the Music City Bowl.

Undrafted free agents signed by Cowboys

The Cowboys have added 17 undrafted rookie free agents, according to social media posts from the players, their coaches or their schools. Here's a look at the unofficial list so far, and we'll keep updating our tracker at this link:

Player School Position

Dalton Sturm UT-San Antonio QB
Jordan Chunn Troy RB
Malik Earl Missouri State WR
Marchie Murdock Iowa State WR
David Wells San Diego State TE
Jake Campos Iowa State OL
Bryce Johnson St. Cloud State OL
Jashon Robertson Tennessee OL
Austin Larkin Purdue DE
DeQuinton Osborne Oklahoma State DT
Joel Lanning Iowa State LB
Ed Shockley Villanova LB
Donovan Olumba Portland State CB
Charvarius Ward Middle Tennessee State CB
Kyle Queiro Northwestern S
Tyree Robinson Oregon S
Kameron Kelly San Diego State S

shoop

Semi-contributing member
So tired of 40 times. Ed Reed ran a 4.57. Not saying any of these guys are ed reed but it’s overused and tiresome

bbgun

please don't "dur" me

tend to agree

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Marcus Mosher. One of the prop collectors just oozing with super secret insider info on the Own.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Joel Lanning, Kameron Kelly and Kyle Queiro were really productive from what I've seen.

David Wells is an excellent blocking TE and Chunn had some decent production also.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
So tired of 40 times. Ed Reed ran a 4.57. Not saying any of these guys are ed reed but it’s overused and tiresome

I agree within a range it seems to be less important but how many 4.7 safeties are playing in the league?

midswat

... soon
In order for 40 times to be relevant, they need to be run in pads.

A lot of little guys can run a fast forty in their underpants, but throw 15lbs of pads on them and it’ll slow them. Whereas a bigger player who doesn’t skip leg day might not experience a drop off with the added weight.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree within a range it seems to be less important but how many 4.7 safeties are playing in the league?
Maybe no really good ones. But Barry Church ran a 4.7 forty and then went from undrafted free agent to having a pretty nice career. He started on one of the best defenses in the NFL last year.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Im intrigued by the one known as "DQ".

Top Bottom