2018 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Landry

DCC 4Life
I agree that they will tag him. I just highly doubt that they can get something done prior to free agency the following year. Assuming he has another good year I don't like our chances on the open market.
I'm not worried it's about time for him to get hurt again.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If this guy puts up another 10+ sacks there is no earthly way they're letting him go unless somehow guys like Charlton, Ealy, Gregory, etc. far surpass expectations.

They'll tag him again and probably get something worked out before next year's deadline.
I wouldn’t lock in Lawrence to a contract yet until he can give a significant reason to believe he won’t run straight to the pot shop. If you are thinking franchise tag being close to contract terms then it’s a no brained to me. Put the guy to the test otherwise if he gets locked in guarantees he may get the weak willies for the weed. At a minimum don’t issue a contract without strong prohibitive MJ clauses. And other substance abuse practices.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree that they will tag him. I just highly doubt that they can get something done prior to free agency the following year. Assuming he has another good year I don't like our chances on the open market.
The hard thing is that once you franchise a guy his agent is going to point to the franchise amount as what the player should get on average. So I'm sure Lawrence's agent was looking at 17 mil a year as the starting point. Had Dallas gotten this done before needing the franchise tag I think we may have been able to get him a little cheaper then that. Either way I hope he produces similar numbers again and justifies us either tagging him again or finally getting that long term deal worked out.

p1_

DCC 4Life
You said it in your post. You hope he produces similar numbers. We have no way of knowing if he will, and thus no long term deal. Prove to us you can keep it up or improve on last year. THEN we’ll show you the money.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You said it in your post. You hope he produces similar numbers. We have no way of knowing if he will, and thus no long term deal. Prove to us you can keep it up or improve on last year. THEN we’ll show you the money.
And the money goes up. That's what it comes down to.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I would've been fine giving Lawrence around 15 a year but if he really was demanding 17+ a year there's no way I'd have given that to him right now. The only reason you sign him long-term right now is if he is giving some kind of consideration in the form of a discount, which 14-15 a year would represent.

17+ a year is market value for a top-level DE so there's no point to that. I'd much rather pay him 19 a year with the peace of mind of a 2nd elite season in a row than 17 right now based on just the 1 season.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So stupid. 15 mil, 17 mil, who cares? Just sign already.

Oh no, I'm gonna get paid 75 million over 5 years instead of 85 million over 5 years.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Of course he's demanding an insane bank-breaking deal that he knows Dallas won't agree to. Why not?

If you are a confident franchise DE coming off your rookie contract the only incentive not to sign back to back franchise tag-contracts would be career threatening injury.

He'll get 17 million this year guaranteed and 20 million guaranteed when he gets franchised again next year. THEN he gets to be a UFA and seriously cash in on a front-loaded heavily guaranteed deal offered by a truly desperate team.

All told he'll get huge salaries four-five years in a row. He just has to not get seriously hurt this year and next year, and given his age it's a good bet he'll be mostly intact.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It's a big risk for Lawrence. If he has a 6 sack season his leverage falls apart. Especially if someone like Charlton for instance puts up 12+ sacks.

If I'm Lawrence I take 15 a year and skip to the bank.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's a big risk for Lawrence. If he has a 6 sack season his leverage falls apart. Especially if someone like Charlton for instance puts up 12+ sacks.

I would too. Especially knowing that my back could flare up and ruin my season. Injuries have been a part of his career. You'd think he would at least be a little concerned about the potential injury and an off year as a result.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

I would have too. It's not like the guy put up double digit sacks every year. He's essentially a one year wonder.

p1_

DCC 4Life
He apparently disagrees with you, Mr Schmidt. He's banking on a repeat of last season, then once the deal is consummated (wherever it happens), he might relax back into 'average' territory.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would have too. It's not like the guy put up double digit sacks every year. He's essentially a one year wonder.
I don't know if I'd say that. His sophomore season was pretty good as well. 2 of his 4 seasons probably justify a big pay day. 2 of the four don't. So it's going to be interesting to see if he can get some consistency by putting back to back seasons together. Those are the guys worth big money. Not guys that show up one year and disappear the next.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

Good point. He’s gambling on himself, which is good for us.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't know if I'd say that. His sophomore season was pretty good as well. 2 of his 4 seasons probably justify a big pay day. 2 of the four don't. So it's going to be interesting to see if he can get some consistency by putting back to back seasons together. Those are the guys worth big money. Not guys that show up one year and disappear the next.
His 8 sack second season is a positive indicator, but it is not something you can use as the basis for a $17 million dollar contract.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me

:unsure

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life

:unsure
If they get along that's actually very funny, if not... WTF?

p1_

DCC 4Life
No one has said it (at least recently), but I think many of us are thinking it. How long will his back hold up? Lawrence has already had what, 2 back surgeries? You can't dismiss that when discussing his next contract.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
It looks like all of the Cowboys' preseason games (except the finale, vs. the Texans) will be televised live nationally. First 2 on NFLN and week 3 on NBC.

data

Forbes #1
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/defense-and-pass-pressure-2017

Fodder for the DL vs DB argument, interesting article on 2017 defensive pressures. Dallas defense was 2nd highest percentage for QB pressures-per-defensive-play. Yet, we were only 25th best in result-of-play when we had those defensive pressures.

In the top 1/3, only Denver (7th-->26th), Indianapolis (9th-->30th) and us had a double-digit discrepancy.

Doesn't seem to be a correlation between 'play result success with QB pressure' to playoff qualification as only 5 of Top 10 made it to playoffs. The correlation, though, is 'play result success WITHOUT QB pressure', as Top 5 all made the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom