Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

BipolarFuk

Demoted
What's the consensus here on McClay?

I'm in the camp that our drafts would be fucking putrid without him. Beyond fucking awful. Horrid isn't even in the same universe.

But from time to time, I see him disparaged here.

Cotton

Staff member

I'm in the camp that our drafts would be fucking putrid without him. Beyond fucking awful. Horrid isn't even in the same universe.
This is about how I feel.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

But from time to time, I see him disparaged here.
I think our drafts have turned around and been pretty great as of late. I fear that we'd go back to the shit days again without him.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Could be wrong, but I attribute the draft success in recent years to Will McClay.

Sure wish the Joneses would swallow their pride and make him GM.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The Vikings blocked GB from interviewing one of their front office guys just last week, so there's that.

I'm pretty sure teams can block a front office interview even if it's a promotion, though I'm not 100% certain.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
"and personnel guys"

I forgive you, too.
Here is the actual rule. Looks like it only applies to GMs. Meaning that a promotion isn't good enough.

"A team is not obligated to grant another team permission to discuss employment with a high-level employee (GM, president or equivalent responsibilities) under contract. For other club employees who do not fall into the category of high-level employee, they may be interviewed for a GM position."

Genghis Khan

I remember reading an article on mcclay that he doesn't really want to go elsewhere because he has roots in the area.

How close is Houston to Dallas? A few hours or something?

Cotton

Staff member
Here is the actual rule. Looks like it only applies to GMs. Meaning that a promotion isn't good enough.

"A team is not obligated to grant another team permission to discuss employment with a high-level employee (GM, president or equivalent responsibilities) under contract. For other club employees who do not fall into the category of high-level employee, they may be interviewed for a GM position."
He is the director of player personnel, so like I said, he can interview without the Cowboys being able to stop him.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

LOL.. If Im reading that right Jerry is going to have to give up that GM title to block him.

Cotton

Staff member
I remember reading an article on mcclay that he doesn't really want to go elsewhere because he has roots in the area.

How close is Houston to Dallas? A few hours or something?
Yeah, around 3 1/2 hours.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
LOL.. If Im reading that right Jerry is going to have to give up that GM title to block him.
He is not going anywhere. Jones will just open up the checkbook and he will stay. It is kind of a great gig. No accountability and the pay is probably the same.

Cotton

Staff member
Wouldn't that be frickin' awesome? The only way he can retain him is to give up the GM title. :lol

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think he can actually claim that he has similar responsibilities to a GM and block it. But that would require Jerry to suck up his pride.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He is the director of player personnel, so like I said, he can interview without the Cowboys being able to stop him.
It's not about title, it's about the responsibilities assigned to it. Let's face it, the guy is our GM in responsibility. Every team owner has the authority to tell their GM no and overrule him. Just happens that our owner does that way more than other owners.

Genghis Khan

He is not going anywhere. Jones will just open up the checkbook and he will stay. It is kind of a great gig. No accountability and the pay is probably the same.
Probably true.

They did let Jeff Ireland go though so I guess it depends on whether Mcclay is in the family portrait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom