2018 NFL Draft Prospects: Wide Receivers

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
His size is what appeals to me. He is a mis match for most DBs and speed isnt as critical when you have the reach advantage.
Size is so overrated. It works for the big guys the first few years as they still have speed. Then they become one trick ponies that have problems separating because they usually have unrefined route running skills and that started back in college.

Give me an Antonio Brown or Stefon Diggs over a Dez Bryant or Demaryius Thomas any day.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think his playing speed is better than some give him credit for.
I have seen enough of him in regular season play to think he is a top prospect physially. I don’t know if he has any issues or baggage.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Size is so overrated. It works for the big guys the first few years as they still have speed. Then they become one trick ponies that have problems separating because they usually have unrefined route running skills and that started back in college.

Give me an Antonio Brown or Stefon Diggs over a Dez Bryant or Demaryius Thomas any day.
Good examples of speed assets but these guys have to have a very accurate quarterback to make the connections.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Good examples of speed assets but these guys have to have a very accurate quarterback to make the connections.
It is easier to find a WR that can get open with good routes than to find an accurate QB to nail the high degree of difficulty throws. Romo spoiled us.

That is part of the problem we have right now. Prescott is not an especially accurate QB when the throw requires precision and placement.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I would avoid Walter Football if you are using them as a platform.
They just have a nice listing which made for a good discussion piece. It is so early that the rankings are very dynamic. Anything pre-combine is pretty preliminary.

Out of curiosity, which sources do you like? Gosselin is great as he talks to GMs, but he usually comes out SO late.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
They just have a nice listing which made for a good discussion piece. It is so early that the rankings are very dynamic. Anything pre-combine is pretty preliminary.

Out of curiosity, which sources do you like? Gosselin is great as he talks to GMs, but he usually comes out SO late.
Matt Miller is pretty good.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Matt Miller is pretty good.
Here's his list which looks a bit better, frankly.

Top 10 Wide Receivers

Biggest Riser: Michael Gallup, Colorado State
Biggest Faller: Anthony Miller, Memphis
Most NFL-Ready: Calvin Ridley, Alabama
Best Boundary Receiver: Courtland Sutton, SMU
Best Slot Receiver: Christian Kirk, Texas A&M
Best Hands: Ridley
Best Route-Runner: Ridley
Best Potential: Sutton
Biggest Question Mark: James Washington, Oklahoma State (scheme)
Biggest Sleeper: Korey Robertson, Southern Miss

Rank Player School
1 Calvin Ridley Alabama
2 Courtland Sutton SMU
3 Christian Kirk Texas A&M
4 Deon Cain Clemson
5 DJ Moore Maryland
6 Simmie Cobbs Indiana
7 Korey Robertson Southern Miss
8 DJ Chark LSU
9 James Washington Oklahoma State
10 Michael Gallup Colorado State

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It is easier to find a WR that can get open with good routes than to find an accurate QB to nail the high degree of difficulty throws. Romo spoiled us.

That is part of the problem we have right now. Prescott is not an especially accurate QB when the throw requires precision and placement.
And that is what appeals to me with someone like Lazard. He could make the catches of an average accuracy quarterback with his size and hands. He has pretty good speed as well.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Here's his list which looks a bit better, frankly.

Top 10 Wide Receivers

Biggest Riser: Michael Gallup, Colorado State
Biggest Faller: Anthony Miller, Memphis
Most NFL-Ready: Calvin Ridley, Alabama
Best Boundary Receiver: Courtland Sutton, SMU
Best Slot Receiver: Christian Kirk, Texas A&M
Best Hands: Ridley
Best Route-Runner: Ridley
Best Potential: Sutton
Biggest Question Mark: James Washington, Oklahoma State (scheme)
Biggest Sleeper: Korey Robertson, Southern Miss

Rank Player School
1 Calvin Ridley Alabama
2 Courtland Sutton SMU
3 Christian Kirk Texas A&M
4 Deon Cain Clemson
5 DJ Moore Maryland
6 Simmie Cobbs Indiana
7 Korey Robertson Southern Miss
8 DJ Chark LSU
9 James Washington Oklahoma State
10 Michael Gallup Colorado State
It may be a good list. I really don’t know. I usually only comment on players I have actually seen in play. The “lists” are usually compiled by the eyes of others or from some group that has folks hired to create reports. I fear that too many fans gives their opinions based on some lists and or rankings by someone else maybe without ever seeing the player in action. To me that’s someones opinion and I would just be parroting it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Like Iamtdg stated, Miller is decent.

There are others like Dane Brugler, Tony Pauline, Kyle Crabbs, Joe Ledyard, and especially Jesse Fritsch, who relatively new but is about as detailed as they come in terms of data accumulation.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
It may be a good list. I really don’t know. I usually only comment on players I have actually seen in play. The “lists” are usually compiled by the eyes of others or from some group that has folks hired to create reports. I fear that too many fans gives their opinions based on some lists and or rankings by someone else maybe without ever seeing the player in action. To me that’s someones opinion and I would just be parroting it.
Well, that certainly describes me. I don't watch college football since my college was Division III (NESCAC). I vaguely follow UT since I grew up in Austin and went to med school at UT (which is in Dallas). But the last few years, there is no reason to watch that team.

I watch pro football. Unless you are truly obsessive about college football, you likely have only seen a few of these guys play. Even then, WR production is so dependent so if things don't happen to fall right, you might not even see a guy make plays on the day you happen to watch, say, Alabama play. Further, there are plenty of great WRs that don't get to play in bowl games where they can showcase their skills.

So then it falls to analysts, highlight clips, stats and combine results. It's an imperfect science but that's why drafting is both a lot of skill but also a lot of fortune.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

And that is what appeals to me with someone like Lazard. He could make the catches of an average accuracy quarterback with his size and hands. He has pretty good speed as well.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
If we get either one of Kirk, Miller or Burnett I'm happy at WR. 2 of them and I'm jizzin'

Top Bottom