2018 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
TCU has a nice group of WRs. I'm scared for Oklahoma's secondary. They're going to have a loooooooooong afternoon.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Some interesting stats for Tech so far.

94-133 70.7% 1,160 yards 8 TD 0 INT
10 rushes 18 yards 1.8 avg 0 TD

Another interesting trend:

Tech 131 rushes 527 yards 4.0 avg 13 TDs
OPP 110 rushes 485 yards 4.4 avg 4 TDs

Leading Receiver and it isn't even close:

Antoine Wesley - 23 rec 413 yards 18.0 avg 4 TDs

Top 3 Scorers:

FR RB Ta'Zhawn Henry 6 TDs - 36 points
SR K Clayton Hatfield 2-2 FG 23-23 XPT - 29 points
JR WR Antoine Wesley 4 TDs - 24 points

Defensive Leaders:

1. Dakota Allen 19 tackles
2. Jordyn Brooks 18 tackles
3. Tony Jones 17 tackles; 3 sacks
4. Riko Jeffers 15 tackles
5. Douglas Coleman 13 tackles; having to play out of position

We have 5 sacks.
We have only given up 1 sack.

We have forced 5 turnovers.
We have only given up 2 turnovers. (Jett Duffey; De'Quan Bowman)

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Rev

Staff member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
:lol

That sucks.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Well OU got by the Cyclones this year. They are a very good team and in the upper echelon of the Big 12. The have huge athletes and they have speed. They did surprisingly well with their Back Up QB. Glad to have that game behind us. @OneBig. The Sooners have officially begun their march toward the trophy now. I dreaded the Cyclones this year and even though the defensive schemes didn’t work well at times for the Sooners they held together enough despite their secondary being totally mismatched against the tall receivers of the Cyclones. From what I see today the rest of the schedule doesn’t scare me except for Texas. The are getting better fast and now look pretty balanced.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Very satisfying win last night, but I'm not popping the champagne yet.

This win doesn't matter if they win 6 games again.

This could be a stepping stone to finally righting the ship, so I'm hoping Texas uses this momentum and gets 8 wins out of the season.

Do that, and maybe we'll finally be onto something.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
USC must suck because they're getting rolled by UT right now.
They were overrated last year ad they are overrated this year.

Still, I'm hoping that the fact they were ranked has a positive impact on the Texas players' psyche and we can build on this win.

Rev

Staff member
Very satisfying win last night, but I'm not popping the champagne yet.

This win doesn't matter if they win 6 games again.

This could be a stepping stone to finally righting the ship, so I'm hoping Texas uses this momentum and gets 8 wins out of the season.

Do that, and maybe we'll finally be onto something.
Hoping for another big win before it goes back to normal. Need a lot of shorthorn angst.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Tech ranks 3rd in the nation with 13 rushing tds on the year. Pretty cool little stat to have. Closing in the red zone will be a much needed boost if they can keep it up.

We shall see in the next 3 weeks.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Here’s a neato stat:

Kliff is 2-19 against ranked opponents.

Rev

Staff member

Pretty interesting read on how that play unfolded if you want to click the link.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
One of the most remarkable stats I saw this offseason came from colleague Max Olson regarding Texas Tech coach Kliff Kingsbury: The average season stats from his quarterbacks since 2010 are ridiculous: 4,797 passing yards, 5,129 total yards, 46 total touchdowns, 14 interceptions.

So with that kind of track record, whether it was Case Keenum, Johnny Manziel, Baker Mayfield, Davis Webb, Patrick Mahomes or Nic Shimonek, it shouldn’t come as a shock that the former Red Raiders star QB has developed another prolific passer.

Maybe the only surprising part is that it only took the new guy, Alan Bowman, three games to smash Mahomes’ Big 12 freshman single-game record with 605 passing yards in the Red Raiders’ victory against Houston last weekend. Bowman finished 6 yards shy of the NCAA freshman passing record set in 1998 by Nevada’s David Neill. It marked only the third time in FBS history that a freshman has thrown for at least 600 yards in a game.

Alan Who?

Bowman, a true freshman three-star recruit from Grapevine, Texas, was the longshot to emerge as this year’s starter in Lubbock behind former four-star Jett Duffey and junior McLane Carter, who started last year’s regular-season finale win in Austin against Texas. Carter, though, suffered an ankle injury in the opener against Ole Miss. Kingsbury had been very impressed with Bowman’s attitude and grasp of the offense. He earned the starting job before proceeding to shred Houston, going 43-for-59 for five TDs and those 605 yards in a frenetic shootout against a defense featuring the great Ed Oliver. Tech has topped 60 points in each of his two starts, marking the first time the school has done that in successive weeks in 13 years.

“I remember when Pat broke it and I said it’d never be broken,” Kingsbury told me after the game. “We couldn’t run the ball — Ed Oliver is an absolute beast, so we had to throw it and he did a nice job protecting the football and going through his reads. Hopefully he builds some confidence moving forward.”

What’s even more impressive is that the offense not only had to find a new quarterback, it also had to replace four wide receivers who are now playing in the NFL. Bowman is not available to the media as a true freshman, due to Kingsbury’s policy.

Kingsbury says he’s always been really hard on true freshmen in his system, calling it a rite of passage, but Bowman’s approach to all of that has been “bring it,” the coach says. The 6-foot-3, 210-pounder, who picked Tech over Houston, Ole Miss and several others, doesn’t run as well as the Tech’s other QBs but is very decisive, sees the field well and has enough mobility and pocket presence to keep plays alive.

Sixth-year senior Zach Austin, like fellow starting wideout Ja’Deion High, is six years older than Bowman. Austin grew up with Mayfield and came to Tech with him as walk-ons. He said Bowman reminds him some of his old buddy, who went on to win the Heisman at Oklahoma.

“I say this in the best possible way: They’re both smartasses, meaning they can keep people loose,” said Austin. He said they both also have an important ingredient for a quarterback in the form of the uncanny ability to forget bad plays.

This week, Bowman and Tech will face another test when they visit No. 15 Oklahoma State. “What Alan lacked is what he’s getting these first few weeks,” said Red Raiders offensive coordinator Kevin Johns, noting that the kid just doesn’t seem to get rattled. “He’s faced an SEC defense (Ole Miss), the No. 1 player in the country (Oliver) and has to go on the road to Oklahoma State. That’s a baptism by fire.”

I know that Kliff sucks and all but that stat is pretty crazy.

vince

Not So New Member
One of the most remarkable stats I saw this offseason came from colleague Max Olson regarding Texas Tech coach Kliff Kingsbury: The average season stats from his quarterbacks since 2010 are ridiculous: 4,797 passing yards, 5,129 total yards, 46 total touchdowns, 14 interceptions.

So with that kind of track record, whether it was Case Keenum, Johnny Manziel, Baker Mayfield, Davis Webb, Patrick Mahomes or Nic Shimonek, it shouldn’t come as a shock that the former Red Raiders star QB has developed another prolific passer.

Maybe the only surprising part is that it only took the new guy, Alan Bowman, three games to smash Mahomes’ Big 12 freshman single-game record with 605 passing yards in the Red Raiders’ victory against Houston last weekend. Bowman finished 6 yards shy of the NCAA freshman passing record set in 1998 by Nevada’s David Neill. It marked only the third time in FBS history that a freshman has thrown for at least 600 yards in a game.

Alan Who?

Bowman, a true freshman three-star recruit from Grapevine, Texas, was the longshot to emerge as this year’s starter in Lubbock behind former four-star Jett Duffey and junior McLane Carter, who started last year’s regular-season finale win in Austin against Texas. Carter, though, suffered an ankle injury in the opener against Ole Miss. Kingsbury had been very impressed with Bowman’s attitude and grasp of the offense. He earned the starting job before proceeding to shred Houston, going 43-for-59 for five TDs and those 605 yards in a frenetic shootout against a defense featuring the great Ed Oliver. Tech has topped 60 points in each of his two starts, marking the first time the school has done that in successive weeks in 13 years.

“I remember when Pat broke it and I said it’d never be broken,” Kingsbury told me after the game. “We couldn’t run the ball — Ed Oliver is an absolute beast, so we had to throw it and he did a nice job protecting the football and going through his reads. Hopefully he builds some confidence moving forward.”

What’s even more impressive is that the offense not only had to find a new quarterback, it also had to replace four wide receivers who are now playing in the NFL. Bowman is not available to the media as a true freshman, due to Kingsbury’s policy.

Kingsbury says he’s always been really hard on true freshmen in his system, calling it a rite of passage, but Bowman’s approach to all of that has been “bring it,” the coach says. The 6-foot-3, 210-pounder, who picked Tech over Houston, Ole Miss and several others, doesn’t run as well as the Tech’s other QBs but is very decisive, sees the field well and has enough mobility and pocket presence to keep plays alive.

Sixth-year senior Zach Austin, like fellow starting wideout Ja’Deion High, is six years older than Bowman. Austin grew up with Mayfield and came to Tech with him as walk-ons. He said Bowman reminds him some of his old buddy, who went on to win the Heisman at Oklahoma.

“I say this in the best possible way: They’re both smartasses, meaning they can keep people loose,” said Austin. He said they both also have an important ingredient for a quarterback in the form of the uncanny ability to forget bad plays.

This week, Bowman and Tech will face another test when they visit No. 15 Oklahoma State. “What Alan lacked is what he’s getting these first few weeks,” said Red Raiders offensive coordinator Kevin Johns, noting that the kid just doesn’t seem to get rattled. “He’s faced an SEC defense (Ole Miss), the No. 1 player in the country (Oliver) and has to go on the road to Oklahoma State. That’s a baptism by fire.”

I know that Kliff sucks and all but that stat is pretty crazy.
I don't think anyone has ever questioned his ability to develop QBs. To me that just means he needs to go back to being a QB coach. HC is too much for him.

Rev

Staff member
I don't think anyone has ever questioned his ability to develop QBs. To me that just means he needs to go back to being a QB coach. HC is too much for him.
Or OC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom