2018 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

midswat

... soon
I agree that they look unfocused...but you crazy, bro. Kirby's turned this team into a national contender.
Because he’s recruiting at a level that maybe the NCAA should consider looking into.

He has talent to just overwhelm most teams.

But in big games and some critical situations he’s dicked things up pretty good.

Dont get me wrong - I’m envious. My team for sure is trying to get to your level.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Damn, they're gonna give it away early.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Like I said early. Once Bevo came out and damn near stomped a mud hole in Uga's ass, I knew Texas was ready to play.

midswat

... soon

One of these days everyone will stop giving the entire SEC credit for Alabama's success.
Couldn't it just be that the SEC and the Big 12 are far and away the best conferences in college football, and the Big 12 got the better of them this year (thankfully)?

I mean, I know there's a lot of anti-SEC sentiment on this forum, and I'm not an SEC-defender or care enough to champion for the conference, but the whole "it's alabama and thats it" take is lazy and misinformed. That disdain should be directed towards the ACC, where Clemson has a direct path to the college football playoffs every year.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Couldn't it just be that the SEC and the Big 12 are far and away the best conferences in college football, and the Big 12 got the better of them this year (thankfully)?

I mean, I know there's a lot of anti-SEC sentiment on this forum, and I'm not an SEC-defender or care enough to champion for the conference, but the whole "it's alabama and thats it" take is lazy and misinformed. That disdain should be directed towards the ACC, where Clemson has a direct path to the college football playoffs every year.
I'm not saying that Alabama is the only good team in the SEC. My point is the conference is not far and away better than all the other conferences. That's a myth that the media and SEC fans continue to push.

Here's my short list of why I'm so hard on the SEC.

- In no other conference do you hear media members and fans gush about how the teams of Conference X are beating up on each other. But you hear it all the time in the SEC. 3 and 4 loss teams are continually propped up as elite top 10 caliber teams.

- Just like every other conference there are only 2 or 3 SEC teams who are legitimate CFB playoff contenders from year to year. I don't need to hear fans of teams from the likes of Vandy, Florida, and S. Carolina bragging about how great their conference is. No motherfuckers, what has YOUR school done lately. STFU about Alabama's success and find some success of your own.

- Whenever one of their top teams loses a bowl game the excuses start flying about how the team wasn't motivated to play in a meaningless bowl game. If Georgia won last night people would be saying "see, this is why they should have been in the playoffs". But since they lost they use the excuse that Georgia wasn't motivated and didn't want to be there.

- They get a ton of praise for playing great defense in the SEC and everyone slams the Big 12 for their lack of defense. But can someone please point out the great QBs and imaginative offenses in the SEC. There's Tua/Bama and what else? It's easier to put up great defensive stats when no one in the conference has dynamic playmakers at QB and the OCs systems are relatively bland. The bowl season once again proved my point on this. Big 12 offenses averaged over 36 ppg against the SEC this bowl season while winning 3 of the 4 games. And this was after they had a full month to prepare for the offenses. Imagine only having 5 or 6 days to prep for these offenses week after week after week. The SEC defensive rep would take quite a hit, IMO.

- No other conference gets their losses excused like SEC schools. It goes back to my point about media bias. After Georgia lost to Bama in the SEC title game, you had homers like Kirk Herbstreit actually arguing that Georgia should have moved UP in the rankings. :lol Seriously? No one was arguing that Texas should have moved up after they lost to Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game. Nope they quickly dropped them a few spots.

- Along those same lines I particularly love the ranking scam the SEC has set up. The one where if the #15 team is playing the #10 team, the loser of the game doesn't drop because they lost to a "quality" opponent. I remember in 2014 the SEC had the Top 25 littered with "quality" 4 and 5 loss teams who were just "beating each other up". BTW....the SEC got skull-drug by damn near every other conference that bowl season as well.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm not saying that Alabama is the only good team in the SEC. My point is the conference is not far and away better than all the other conferences. That's a myth that the media and SEC fans continue to push.

- In no other conference do you hear media members and fans gush about how the teams of Conference X are beating up on each other. But you hear it all the time in the SEC. 3 and 4 loss teams are continually propped up as elite top 10 caliber teams.

- Just like every other conference there are only 2 or 3 SEC teams who are legitimate CFB playoff contenders from year to year. I don't need to hear fans of teams from the likes of Vandy, Florida, and S. Carolina bragging about how great their conference is. No motherfuckers, what has YOUR school done lately. STFU about Alabama's success and find some success of your own.

- Whenever one of their top teams loses a bowl game the excuses start flying about how the team wasn't motivated to play in a meaningless bowl game. If Georgia won last night people would be saying "see, this is why they should have been in the playoffs". But since they lost they use the excuse that Georgia wasn't motivated and didn't want to be there.

- They get a ton of praise for playing great defense in the SEC and everyone slams the Big 12 for their lack of defense. But can someone please point out the great QBs and imaginative offenses in the SEC. There's Tua/Bama and what else? It's easier to put up great defensive stats when no one in the conference has dynamic playmakers at QB and the OCs systems are relatively bland. The bowl season once again proved my point on this. Big 12 offenses averaged over 36 ppg against the SEC this bowl season while winning 3 of the 4 games. And this was after they had a full month to prepare for the offenses. Imagine only having 5 or 6 days to prep for these offenses week after week after week. The SEC defensive rep would take quite a hit, IMO.

- No other conference gets their losses excused like SEC schools. It goes back to my point about media bias. After Georgia lost to Bama in the SEC title game, you had homers like Kirk Herbstreit actually arguing that Georgia should have moved UP in the rankings. :lol Seriously? No one was arguing that Texas should have moved up after they lost to Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game. Nope they quickly dropped them a few spots.

- Along those same lines I particularly love the ranking scam the SEC has set up. The one where if the #15 team is playing the #10 team, the loser of the game doesn't drop because they lost to a "quality" opponent. I remember in 2014 the SEC had the Top 25 littered with "quality" 4 and 5 loss teams who were just "beating each other up". BTW....the SEC got skull-drug by damn near every other conference that bowl season as well.
Hear, hear.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Texas' defense looked really good last night. I just looked it up and they were ranked #68 in defensive rankings in terms of ypg allowed. That was good enough for 2nd in the Big 12 as TCU actually ranked #27 nationally.

Todd Orlando (UT's defensive coordinator) called a hell of a game and kept the pressure on Fromm all night. I particularly liked how he kept blitzing late in the game, minus that last drive when there was only 2 minutes to play.

The thing that stood out to me all season, and particularly last night, was the size of the Longhorns defensive players. Their defensive players are big and physical enough to hang with Alabama and Clemson. Georgia couldn't simply maul them with the run game like they did an undersized Oklahoma defense during last year's Rose Bowl.

Lincoln Riley and his defensive coaches are fools if one of their key focuses is not adding more size to the the Oklahoma defensive front 7. That should be the recruiting focus over the next 2-3 years.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Texas' defense looked really good last night. I just looked it up and they were ranked #68 in defensive rankings in terms of ypg allowed. That was good enough for 2nd in the Big 12 as TCU actually ranked #27 nationally.

Todd Orlando (UT's defensive coordinator) called a hell of a game and kept the pressure on Fromm all night. I particularly liked how he kept blitzing late in the game, minus that last drive when there was only 2 minutes to play.

The thing that stood out to me all season, and particularly last night, was the size of the Longhorns defensive players. Their defensive players are big and physical enough to hang with Alabama and Clemson. Georgia couldn't simply maul them with the run game like they did an undersized Oklahoma defense during last year's Rose Bowl.

Lincoln Riley and his defensive coaches are fools if one of their key focuses is not adding more size to the the Oklahoma defensive front 7. That should be the recruiting focus over the next 2-3 years.
Texas has to play in the Big 12 so those stats aren’t a make or break deal. There are so many things to look at besides yards allowed. Teams on the Big 12 are going to get yards.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Texas has to play in the Big 12 so those stats aren’t a make or break deal. There are so many things to look at besides yards allowed. Teams on the Big 12 are going to get yards.
Especially when teams are running hurry up offense. It's hard to compare those stats against teams in the Big 10 for example who are running more slow paced offenses.

midswat

... soon

Cant really argue with much of that. There are a few things I could say in reply, but meh, I hate the non Tennessee sec teams too much to defend them.

IMO it’s always been SEC and Big 12, in that order. Big10 is overrated as hell. ACC is AAC level garbage, where Clemson is the ACC’s UCF. Clemson is literally the only ACC team worth a shit. Pac12 is oddly bad generally speaking, considering some of their recruiting hotbeds.

D

Deuce

I look forward to the year Dabo leaves Clemson for Bama. It’ll suck because Bama will continue dominance, but the ACC will becomes garbage top to bottom.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Wow, props to Midswat for not being one of the SEC SEC SEC types who root for their rivals. I thought all SEC fans did that.

And I do think the SEC is the best conference. They just aren't light years ahead of everyone else top to bottom like the ESPN talking heads like to believe.

But then I know that's all about money. The SEC and the CFP are their biggest partners/properties. So I know why they promote them nonstop... it's just irritating when people actually buy it without thinking.

D

Deuce

Fiesta Bowl thoughts:

- props to Burrows. The defensive game plan certainly keyed on stopping the run, just as I previously said I would do, and he responded by making throws. A lot of them were easy and I don’t understand why we were playing so soft coverage most of the game, but he still needed to make those throws and he did. Especially impressed that he didn’t seem rattled after he was almost murdered by Joey Connors on the pick 6.

- Our OL forgot to make the trip. They have been good all year and they didn’t give Mack enough time to make the plays our O desperately needed.

- Rashard Lawrence was beastly. I want him badly in Dallas someday. He’s the primary reason for the OL struggles.

- LSU fans I interacted with in person were mostly cordial, though they all subscribe to the same BS excuses we read on Twitter. “You guys are good, I wish your QB could’ve played us...buuuut we missed sooo many defensive starters!!” It was fun reminding them that the defensive starters they missed were replaced by all 4 and 5* kids while we have 4 4* kids total on our team.

- Devon White is talented, but a moron. He talks a lot of shit for someone who made maybe two plays all game. I especially love his post game comments of how we can’t compete week in/out in the SEC. I don’t consider going 5-3 in conference competing week in/out either.

- Even without Milton, we’ll be back next year. Mack will go through an off-season taking reps with the 1’s and I’m not ruling out a grad transfer QB to hold it down until Milton returns in ‘20. But it’s the senior season for Frost’s first recruiting class. This will be top to bottom the most talented team we’ve fielded since 2013. I can’t wait to see us tested against Stanford.

- I love my team and regardless of what hate the media has for UCF today, 25 straight is damn impressive in any league.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
- I love my team and regardless of what hate the media has for UCF today, 25 straight is damn impressive in any league
This is key to what you said. F them hoes that dog on your team. UCF has done nothing but answer the call in almost every single case. You can’t ask for more than that.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Although, I will still be here taking trash whenever the urge hits me. :art

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom