2017 Random NFL Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's a good question. I still go after him.
I don't think he is any better than the bottom of the roster DEs we have. Would feel like adding more of the same.

Although I will say he looked studly in the Superbowl. So maybe there is more talent there then we see the other 90% of the time.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I don't think he is any better than the bottom of the roster DEs we have. Would feel like adding more of the same.

Although I will say he looked studly in the Superbowl. So maybe there is more talent there then we see the other 90% of the time.
Cool, I don't agree. I think he could be something special here.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I just saw that he's had 5 sacks each of the past two seasons. We could definitely still use him but I'm less enthusiastic. For some reason I thought he's been more productive.
He had that outstanding Superbowl game, but has been average outside of it.

He probably lacks the discipline it takes to be a professional. Really disappointed as I thought he'd have been a lot better when he came out of Missouri.

For the Pats to have cut him in spite of purported steady improvement he must be a head case.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
The Browns named DeShone Kizer the week one starter so it should be interesting to see how that pans out. It's Cleveland so he's probably screwed.

22cowboysfan22

Brand New Member
Jets claim former Patriots DE Kony Ealy off waivers
By Conor Orr
Around The NFL Writer
Published: Aug. 27, 2017 at 04:40 p.m. Updated: Aug. 27, 2017 at 05:25 p.m.

The Patriots let go of Kony Ealy after just five months on Saturday, but the former second-round pick isn't going very far.

Ealy was claimed off waivers by the Jets on Sunday, the team announced. Ealy's cousin, defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson, is also on the team and could help the jettisoned pass rusher settle into a more permanent home.

The Jets are one of the few places that could afford to take a high-profile risk this close to the regular season. Gambling on a young bedrock of versatile defensive players, Ealy might fit in well with Todd Bowles' versatile, pressure-heavy scheme.

The franchise has been a career regenerator for other highly-drafted players before, momentarily saving the career of former first-round pick Aaron Maybin back in 2011. Rex Ryan is no longer in town, but a similar defensive philosophy that requires rushers of all shapes and sizes remains.

Ealy's stellar performance in Super Bowl 50, where he logged an interception and three sacks over just a small handful of snaps, serves as the ultimate reminder of what can be. Over three seasons, he has 14 total sacks, an interception, six forced fumbles and five passes defensed.

The immediate reaction to the move will likely be if the Patriots couldn't make it work, who could? New England tried to find a trade partner for Ealy, ideally outside of the division. Now, they'll have a front-row seat to his development in New Jersey.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cotton

Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
2019? I guess they are really looking at this as a long term rebuild.

Cotton

Staff member
Lions, Matthew Stafford agree to five-year extension
By Around the NFL staff NFL.com
Published: Aug. 28, 2017 at 10:04 p.m. Updated: Aug. 28, 2017 at 10:20 p.m.

Detroit has locked up its franchise quarterback.

The Lions and Matthew Stafford have agreed to a five-year contract extension, the team announced. The contract is worth $135 million, making Stafford the highest-paid player in the league, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per a source informed of the deal.

ESPN first reported the news.

Around the NFL will have more on this story shortly.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Lions, Matthew Stafford agree to five-year extension
By Around the NFL staff NFL.com
Published: Aug. 28, 2017 at 10:04 p.m. Updated: Aug. 28, 2017 at 10:20 p.m.

Detroit has locked up its franchise quarterback.

The Lions and Matthew Stafford have agreed to a five-year contract extension, the team announced. The contract is worth $135 million, making Stafford the highest-paid player in the league, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per a source informed of the deal.

ESPN first reported the news.

Around the NFL will have more on this story shortly.
$27M per for a 29 YO QB that has never won a division title or playoff game? I want some of the water they're drinking up in Michigan.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Wow, seems early to give up on a 2016 second round pick.
Not really when it was very clear he would never function in McDermott's system.

They got a fourth, which is not that terrible.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
$27M per for a 29 YO QB that has never won a division title or playoff game? I want some of the water they're drinking up in Michigan.
Not sure you do. Its not healthy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not really when it was very clear he would never function in McDermott's system.

They got a fourth, which is not that terrible.
Plus he was overweight and a slow learner. I'm guessing he is just a bust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom