2017 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I wonder if you could trade Scandrick for a safety, then move Jones to CB.
If they try to trade him they better succeed. He wasn't happy about it during the draft and a disgruntled player would all you have left.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
If they try to trade him they better succeed. He wasn't happy about it during the draft and a disgruntled player would all you have left.
Never could understand why a team announces that they are looking to trade a player. Unless they have a no trade clause, why put it out there? The media and fans don't need to know about it. Put calls in to other GMs, and they're the only ones that need to know what you're thinking. The first time a player should hear about being traded is when the GM tells them to pack and GTFO.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Byron Jones is scared to tackle.
Yup, which compounds the issue at safety since he looks lost half the time in zone coverage.

The guy just isn't a safety but I don't hold that against him because that's not his natural position. The Cowboys, who apparently are allergic to going after actual safeties with ability, are at fault for his struggles there.

Move the guy to CB and now you make that position on the team an area of strength with a lot of promise for the future.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I wonder if you could trade Scandrick for a safety, then move Jones to CB.
I would do it in a heartbeat, but who would both want Scandrick and have a decent safety to offer in return?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup, which compounds the issue at safety since he looks lost half the time in zone coverage.

The guy just isn't a safety but I don't hold that against him because that's not his natural position. The Cowboys, who apparently are allergic to going after actual safeties with ability, are at fault for his struggles there.

Move the guy to CB and now you make that position on the team an area of strength with a lot of promise for the future.
He already basically plays a corner role anyway. Why bounce him between that and safety?

Use him as a corner who covers big WR's and TE's in man coverage and move him all over the field to do it. We need some actually 2 deep safeties. Byron Jones and Jeff Heath are consistently out of position on giving deep help to our corners. They are always late in giving help and it makes our corners look bad and it forces our corners to play less aggressive on the short stuff because they don't have faith that the safety has them covered on the deep stuff.

Xavier Woods has looked like our best safety this year. In terms of tackling and in terms of coverage he has honestly been the best and most natural of the group. I'd make him a full time starter deep. And I have no idea what the answer is next to him. I just know it isn't Byron Jones or Jeff Heath. And frankly I haven't loved what I have seen out of Frazier either. Mostly I've seen him miss some really easy tackles but I haven't totally given up on him yet.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
He already basically plays a corner role anyway. Why bounce him between that and safety?

Use him as a corner who covers big WR's and TE's in man coverage and move him all over the field to do it. We need some actually 2 deep safeties. Byron Jones and Jeff Heath are consistently out of position on giving deep help to our corners. They are always late in giving help and it makes our corners look bad and it forces our corners to play less aggressive on the short stuff because they don't have faith that the safety has them covered on the deep stuff.

Xavier Woods has looked like our best safety this year. In terms of tackling and in terms of coverage he has honestly been the best and most natural of the group. I'd make him a full time starter deep. And I have no idea what the answer is next to him. I just know it isn't Byron Jones or Jeff Heath. And frankly I haven't loved what I have seen out of Frazier either. Mostly I've seen him miss some really easy tackles but I haven't totally given up on him yet.
Exactly.

Jones would be a really good full time CB on the outside, I think.

Jordan Lewis had a very good game last week, but some people are quick to forget that because he gave up the game-winning TD on a great throw. The guy made plays all day including a break up on the play before that.

But he is a 3rd round rookie playing in just his 4th career game. These things are gonna happen.

Having said that, Jones' size would have really come in handy at that spot. He can be an asset there and combined with Awuzie and Lewis, and even Brown if he gets his shit together, could combine to be one of the best and well-rounded CB corps in all of football.

As far as safety goes, I agree with that as well. Woods has been by far the best player, but he also is the only guy of the entire group who showed any real ability to play that position in college. Jones has been bad, Heath has been awful, and Frazier is just a body who offers nothing.

Woods should be starting ASAP.

They need to sign someone or draft someone in the first 2 rounds of the draft and hope that he pans out and so does Woods. Otherwise, we'll be needing 2 safeties going into next season and not just one.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They need to sign someone or draft someone in the first 2 rounds of the draft and hope that he pans out and so does Woods. Otherwise, we'll be needing 2 safeties going into next season and not just one.
Yeah I hate talking draft this early in the season because it means that we are struggling and the answers aren't out there until the offseason but if it were up to me I'd leave Chidobe at corner and suffer with the bed we have made at safety this year.

Then look at next years draft. There are plenty of first round safeties that we could have a shot at. My first round wish list for next year is probably Safety, MLBer, DT and WR. The only way we take a DT in the first round is if he is a 3 technique but we can always do that and move Collins to the 1 technique and draft a legit 3 technique. Otherwise get a Sean Lee replacement or get one of these safeties. At this point, safety seems to make the most sense. Just looking at it you have Derwin James (FSU), Minkah Fitzpartick (Alabama) and Ronnie Harrison (Alabama) as elite safety prospects.

Don't waste a guy like Chidobe training at safety for a season if you're just going to have to turn around and draft a safety anyway.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Man, I don't remember that, at all.
I remember reading about it in Sports Illustrated but I'm pretty sure that's the first video I've seen unless it was covered by ESPN or something and I forgot. I think all this is when they started beefing up security for victory parades in general.

Edited, found it: https://www.si.com/vault/1993/07/05/128873/the-agony-of-victory-after-three-violent-championship-celebrations-in-1993-experts-are-pondering-why-people-riot-for-the-home-team

Last edited:

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Holy shit, those parade assaults...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I think Butler should be ahead of Williams on the depth chart.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Are you saying that you actually expected the Cowboys to hold somebody that wasn't a random schlub accountable?

:lol

The point of the picture was that Zeke isn't on the depth chart.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Um, but Zeke is back now. They will need to redo that...

Unless you actually think Dallas isn't going to play him this week.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I noticed that in the original post, but chevy was pointing out how he'd rather see Butler ahead of Williams on the depth chart which would suggest that Garrett's tough talk of holding people accountable would have to actually be true in order for that to happen.

And we all know that he only applies that faux toughness when it comes to nobodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom