2017 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
For whatever reason the refs let CBs have their way with Dez. It's similar to the way they let everyone foul Shaq.
They do seem to get away with a lot, but I doubt it's anymore that another elite guy gets away with.

Especially a bigger guy like Julio Jones who is able to produce regardless.

midswat

... soon
Todd Gurley: 'We're gonna whoop up' on Cowboys

Rams running back Todd Gurley gave the Dallas Cowboys some bulletin board material after his team's 41-39 victory over the San Francisco 49ers.

Speaking to Michael Irvin on NFL Network after the game, Gurley made a prediction about the Rams next opponent, Conor Orr of NFL.com reports.

"Like I said, we're taking it game by game and just focusing on the future right now, man. Next week, we've got Dallas. We've got a little break. So we're gonna whoop up on your 'Boys," Gurley said.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Apparently he said this when joking and talking trash with Irvin on the set after the game.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
I never understood how this works and I think its most likely simple what I'm missing. The fact he got signed to their roster means that we will get some sort of comp pick for him depending on the amount of snaps he actually plays, correct?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I never understood how this works and I think its most likely simple what I'm missing. The fact he got signed to their roster means that we will get some sort of comp pick for him depending on the amount of snaps he actually plays, correct?
No. We cut Nzeocha. He was not on our roster. Players on practice squads are open game for any team to sign, just like if they were street free agents. You cut them. They were off your team. Any team can have at them.

You get draft pick compensation FROM a team, when a team signs a restricted free agent that you tendered at a certain level. The team signing the player has to give you a pick at the specific level. But Nzeocha wasn't a restricted free agent, he had been released. He had no NFL-level contract from us. Practice squad guys are not subject to the other league contract rules: case in point, they make like $80k a year, far below the league minimum salaries negotiated by the CBA.

Another form of draft pick compensation is from the LEAGUE.... when you lose certain players in unrestricted free agency, depending on how many players you signed yourself, and how well the departing player plays the following year, and how big of a contract he signed... the LEAGUE awards you compensatory picks. But again, this is calculated based on players you lose via free agency.

Nzeocha... not a free agent. Not even on the roster. He was cut, he loses all those protections.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Schmitty was partially correct. There will be no compensation. But there is a little more to it than that. He stated that they are a FA, but that's not exactly true. The team does own their rights. But if another team wants to sign somebody off of your practice squad, the team they are currently with has right of first refusal. But that entails signing them to a contract and moving them to the active roster. Also, the team signing them has to put them on their active roster with a new contract. Players are paid while on the practice squad, but they technically aren't under contract. I believe they are paid on a weekly basis with no contract.

It is done this way so teams couldn't just poach players off of practice squads just to put them on their own at any time.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Schmitty was partially correct. There will be no compensation. But there is a little more to it than that. He stated that they are a FA, but that's not exactly true. The team does own their rights. But if another team wants to sign somebody off of your practice squad, the team they are currently with has right of first refusal. But that entails signing them to a contract and moving them to the active roster. Also, the team signing them has to put them on their active roster with a new contract. Players are paid while on the practice squad, but they technically aren't under contract. I believe they are paid on a weekly basis with no contract.

It is done this way so teams couldn't just poach players off of practice squads just to put them on their own at any time.
The don't have to move them to the active roster to keep them. They just have to pay them as much or more than the team trying to sign them offers. Rico Gathers is the perfect example last year. Was the highest paid PS in the league last year. They just had to outbid the team that was trying to sign him.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
The don't have to move them to the active roster to keep them. They just have to pay them as much or more than the team trying to sign them offers. Rico Gathers is the perfect example last year. Was the highest paid PS in the league last year. They just had to outbid the team that was trying to sign him.
Huh. Learn something new every day. It used to be the way I described. When did it change?

EDIT: Just looked it up. Sorry, dude. You're wrong. It is the way I described it. If a team signs a player off another teams PS, they must move them to the active roster.

In Gathers case, the reason we didn't have to move him to the active roster was because he chose to remain on our PS for the extra money instead of signing with the other team.

Practice-squad players are allowed to practice with the team throughout the season, but can't play in games unless they are called up to the 45-man game day roster. A player can be signed by another team at any time, provided the new team is going to place the man on their active roster. The only time a practice-squad member can't jump to an active roster is when the upcoming opponent tries to sign him within five days of the game (nine on a bye week).

For a player who is released to be put on the practice squad, they are first put through waivers. At that point, any team can put in a claim and try to sign him, either to their active roster or to their practice squad with a higher offer.

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member
Huh. Learn something new every day. It used to be the way I described. When did it change?
I'm not sure. I wouldn't even know that had the thing with Gathers not happened last year.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

I wasn't aware you had right of first refusal with practice squad guys.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
My understanding is that there isn't any kind of rules or priority on this; Gathers just agreed to it.

Maybe I'm wrong though.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

EDIT: Just looked it up. Sorry, dude. You're wrong. It is the way I described it. If a team signs a player off another teams PS, they must move them to the active roster.

In Gathers case, the reason we didn't have to move him to the active roster was because he chose to remain on our PS for the extra money instead of signing with the other team.
Yep, that's what I thought.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cotton

Staff member
:lol:lol

Spot on as always.

"Dak is a grown damn man."

"We really need to run more misdirection like that."

I said both of those things almost word for word. :lol

Status