Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
So much for "at the right price". Well, voluntarily at least.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So much for "at the right price". Well, voluntarily at least.
Well if you've been in the NFL for 7 years (28 years old) and have played that entire time for the Browns and gone to the playoffs never. Would you really want to take a pay cut to stay with them (No chance of playoffs yet again) or would you prefer to be cut and have the opportunity to play somewhere else and win some games?

I don't think this was Hayden being unwilling to play for less than 11 mil. I think this was Hayden wanting to play anywhere but Cleveland if he was taking a pay cut. Of course if you think we can sign Hayden for 2 mil per year you're probably dreaming.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
We have the cap room with the Romo retirement, no?

I'd do it. This could be a Super Bowl year.

Cotton

Staff member

Yes, but just have to keep the coming Martin deal in mind.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

We currently have 13 mil in cap space. Although another website says it is 15 mil. So who knows.

The Martin deal shouldn't impact anything. He has 2 years left on his deal and if we have him sign a new deal the cap numbers the first couple years are likely to remain around the same.

Cotton

Staff member

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So we could give him 8 million and it's like giving him 4.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think offsets mean that if you pay Hayden 3 mil, the Browns only have to pay him 1. Which is why if Hayden signs for less than 4 mil, he will just do the league minimum and let the Browns foot the bill. If it is over 4 mil than the team who signs him would have to pay the whole thing. Meaning 6 mil would fully offset the 4 mil the Browns owe (So the Browns pay nothing).

Cotton

Staff member
No, the only way the Browns pay anything is if he signs for less than 4 mill.

Cotton

Staff member
I think offsets mean that if you pay Hayden 3 mil, the Browns only have to pay him 1. Which is why if Hayden signs for less than 4 mil, he will just do the league minimum and let the Browns foot the bill. If it is over 4 mil than the team who signs him would have to pay the whole thing. Meaning 6 mil would fully offset the 4 mil the Browns owe (So the Browns pay nothing).
This is correct.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
WFAN just reported the game has been cancelled after all.

Cotton

Staff member
WFAN just reported the game has been cancelled after all.
So, all of that revenue will not be realized by the relief efforts now. That sucks.

Although, I absolutely understand the thought process behind cancelling.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
NFL cancels Thursday's Texans-Cowboys game

Due to the effects of Hurricane Harvey in Houston, the preseason game between the Cowboys and Texans has been canceled as the Texans want the players to be with their families. (1:08)

The NFL has opted to cancel Thursday's preseason game between the Houston Texans and Dallas Cowboys at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, because the Texans will be able to return home sooner than anticipated, according to sources.

Tickets for the game went on sale Tuesday night and more than 40,000 have been sold with the proceeds going to the hurricane relief fund. The Dallas Morning News is reporting that any fans who bought tickets can receive a refund or choose to have the money used as a donation to relief efforts.

The game had been moved from the Texans' NRG Stadium to the Cowboys' home stadium earlier this week because of the massive flooding in Houston due to Hurricane Harvey.

The Texans have been in the Dallas area since early Sunday morning after flying directly from their preseason game in New Orleans. The team has been practicing at the Cowboys' facility in Frisco, Texas this week.

Texans defensive end J.J. Watt was asked if the game on Thursday could provide a "nice distraction for the people in Houston."

"No," Watt said Tuesday. "I think the only good thing that could possibly come out of a game on Thursday would be a massive fundraiser. That's about the best-case scenario that could some from a game on Thursday is if it raised multi-millions of dollars.

"This is bigger than football. It's bigger than a game. It's bigger than any of us. So we need to make sure that we're thinking about these victims and the city of Houston before anything else."

This weekend Watt set up an online fundraiser to raise money for flood relief in Houston. As of Wednesday morning, the fund had raised more than $5.1 million. He also raised the goal of the fundraiser to $6 million.

Follow
JJ Watt ✔ @JJWatt
$5.1 MILLION!

New Goal: $6 Millionhttp://YouCaring.com/JJWatt
7:04 AM - Aug 30, 2017
432 432 Replies 10,229 10,229 Retweets 23,920 23,920 likes
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Watt began the fundraiser on Sunday with an initial donation of $100,000 and setting the goal for $200,000.

ESPN's Sarah Barshop contributed to this report.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I get why but it still sucks because I was looking forward to watching the game and seeing some of our young players returning from injury to finally get their feet wet. Now the first time Switzer is catching a punt in a Dallas uniform is going to be against the Giants in a massive game. Really would have liked to see him get his feet wet in the preseason for example.

Cotton

Staff member

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm guessing we don't sign him. We already have Carroll and they will view that as enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom