2017 Mock Drafts

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This would be my rough outline of positional targeting.

1) Stud defender. Any position. Though by definition this tends to exclude a corner, especially at 28. You aren't getting the Darrelle Revises at 28.

2) Defense again but this time either DL or DB potentially if you didn't go DB in round 1. No issues if this is a second defensive lineman though.

3) Athletic tight end or developmental offensive lineman. Sorry, I know no one wants to hear that but get ready. At least not in the second round.

4) Speed WR or backup QB prospect.

Later rounds obviously just whatever looks like you are getting a guy who can be a future starter.
I can't say I disagree with most of this. Specifically with number 1 my obvious preference would be for a DE. But if you can get an elite talent anywhere on defense you take it. It's not like we have the fifth pick in the draft where you have the top guy at most positions available. Where we pick you're kind of just hoping someone falls. If it's close between guys I lean DE then Safety then DT and finally LBer/Corner.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think this sounds like a pretty good plan. Our focus should be on improving the defense as quickly as possible without impairing the offense. I'd like to say just draft defense alone, but something has to be done soon at TE and RT whether we like it (replacing Free) or not (replacing Witten).
I probably let Chaz and Free fight it out at RT and draft someone on the third day. Free hopefully is the swing tackle for a year and Chaz starts. And then the draft pick is ready a year from now.

And as much as I love Witten we are starting to get in a position where he could seriously retire. Having him tutor a guy for a year would be great. This is not the same as the past TE picks for this "2 TE offense." Instead we are really just preparing for what Witten may decide to do in the next couple years.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This would be my rough outline of positional targeting.

1) Stud defender. Any position. Though by definition this tends to exclude a corner, especially at 28. You aren't getting the Darrelle Revises at 28.

2) Defense again but this time either DL or DB potentially if you didn't go DB in round 1. No issues if this is a second defensive lineman though.

3) Athletic tight end or developmental offensive lineman. Sorry, I know no one wants to hear that but get ready. At least not in the second round.

4) Speed WR or backup QB prospect.

Later rounds obviously just whatever looks like you are getting a guy who can be a future starter.
Something like

1. Derek Barnett DE Tenn (I doubt he is there but Kiper has him at 21 on the big board and he doesn't fit a 3-4 defense really).

2. Jaleel Johnson DT Iowa (Maybe a bit of a homer pick but at 6'4" 310 pounds and 7.5 sacks he would pair real nicely with Collins in the middle)

3. Jordan Leggett TE Clemson (Total package. Looks like Jordan Reed catching the ball but bigger).

4. Carlos Henderson WR/Return man (This may be a stretch, not like I watched much Louisiana Tech games but everything I have read has this guy as a big play waiting to happen and he also was a kick returner averaging like 32 yards per return).

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think a RB in the 4th or 5th would be a good investment too with how deep the class is. A young, versatile backup to Elliott would help out alot, and hopefully allow us to get rid of Dunbar.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I think a RB in the 4th or 5th would be a good investment too with how deep the class is. A young, versatile backup to Elliott would help out alot, and hopefully allow us to get rid of Dunbar.
I don't want to spend a 4th on a luxury pick and we don't have a 5th. Dunbar isn't going anywhere.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
After seeing the last couple years. You can get a pretty damn good back in the fifth or sixth round of the NFL draft. Of course we don't have a fifth round draft pick right now but there is time for that to change.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't want to spend a 4th on a luxury pick and we don't have a 5th. Dunbar isn't going anywhere.
I'm just using 4th or 5th as a euphemism, basically saying in that area of the draft.

Our 4th rounder is going to be like the 130th overall pick, I don't think that's too much of an investment in a backup RB. McFadden is old and probably won't be back, the staff doesn't seem to like Morris much and fuck Dunbar, if we can get a guy like Brian Hill, Donnel Pumphrey, James Conner or Jeremy McNicholls at the end of the 4th I'd definitely do it.

Rev

Staff member
I'm just using 4th or 5th as a euphemism, basically saying in that area of the draft.

Our 4th rounder is going to be like the 130th overall pick, I don't think that's too much of an investment in a backup RB. McFadden is old and probably won't be back, the staff doesn't seem to like Morris much and fuck Dunbar, if we can get a guy like Brian Hill, Donnel Pumphrey, James Conner or Jeremy McNicholls at the end of the 4th I'd definitely do it.
Ok. Still think we have bigger holes to fill then spending a 4th on a backup RB. Staff likes McFadden and Dunbar evidently and can get by another year with them. Fill that Dline with talent and/or backups.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Ok. Still think we have bigger holes to fill then spending a 4th on a backup RB. Staff likes McFadden and Dunbar evidently and can get by another year with them. Fill that Dline with talent and/or backups.

Yep, or a UDFA.

This draft needs to be about getting some talent on the defensive side.

Edge rushers and a big Rolando McClain-like LB are at the top of my list.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
How many new DL do you think we're going to have?

Irving, Lawrence, Collins, Thornton, T. Crawford, Mayowa and likely McClain will be back next year. Sure, you could argue that T. Crawford or Thornton should be cut, but I don't think that happens and it's very likely that at least 6, and perhaps 7 DL are holdovers from this year.

You only have 9, at most 10 DL on the active roster at any given time, so what do you suggest? Assuming we sign a free agent DL that leaves room for maybe 2 draft picks, and that's not even counting Tapper who may warrant a roster spot next year, and whether or not we like it will almost certainly factor into the offseason decisions the team makes.

I'd be shocked if we draft more than 2 DL in the first 4 picks despite the fact that I'm sure many will suggest we should be drafting upwards of 3 or even 4. On the other hand McFadden will be 30 and may not be re-signed, while Dunbar is a nothing who limits the play-calls when he's in the game. If the BPA at pick 130 is a RB, I take that RB,

Rev

Staff member

Irving, Lawrence, Collins, Thornton, T. Crawford, Mayowa and likely McClain will be back next year. Sure, you could argue that T. Crawford or Thornton should be cut, but I don't think that happens and it's very likely that at least 6, and perhaps 7 DL are holdovers from this year.

You only have 9, at most 10 DL on the active roster at any given time, so what do you suggest? Assuming we sign a free agent DL that leaves room for maybe 2 draft picks, and that's not even counting Tapper who may warrant a roster spot next year, and whether or not we like it will almost certainly factor into the offseason decisions the team makes.

I'd be shocked if we draft more than 2 DL in the first 4 picks despite the fact that I'm sure many will suggest we should be drafting upwards of 3 or even 4. On the other hand McFadden will be 30 and may not be re-signed, while Dunbar is a nothing who limits the play-calls when he's in the game. If the BPA at pick 130 is a RB, I take that RB,

Even if you take 2 there is still upgrades in the secondary, TE, RT, maybe even LBer that I would look at before RB in the first 4 picks. Its just my opinion that a 4th round pick on a RB is just a luxary that is better spent elsewhere.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Even if you take 2 there is still upgrades in the secondary, TE, RT, maybe even LBer that I would look at before RB in the first 4 picks. Its just my opinion that a 4th round pick on a RB is just a luxary that is better spent elsewhere.
Probably, although my premise is that the RB class is so deep this year that we could get a guy who may normally be a 3rd round talent a round or two later. With McFadden turning 30 and maybe not coming back I'd take advantage of that opportunity to solidify Elliott's backup for 4 years on a cheap deal.

If there is a similarly ranked player at one of those positions you definitely go with the RT or defensive player though.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

You didn't list Tapper but I bet he is on the roster next year. No way we cut a fourth round pick who is supposedly healthy now.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah saw where he listed it later. But you might as well reserve him a spot. He will be back and frankly if his back is ok he should be on the roster next year.

I'd cut Crawford though. Irving is a better, more talented and cheaper version of him. Nothing against Crawford but his pay is what you give to an upper level starter. Which he isn't anymore.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Would have been nice to keep Darius Jackson.

In retrospect maybe we should have cut Alfred Morris for him.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah saw where he listed it later. But you might as well reserve him a spot. He will be back and frankly if his back is ok he should be on the roster next year.

I'd cut Crawford though. Irving is a better, more talented and cheaper version of him. Nothing against Crawford but his pay is what you give to an upper level starter. Which he isn't anymore.
Anymore? He's like what, 27? How about never has been.

Top Bottom