2015 Senior Bowl Stuff...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
2015 Senior Bowl: 10 offensive prospects to watch

By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst

January 18, 2015 8:17 pm ET

Although there are over 100 days remaining until the 2015 NFL Draft, the Reese's Senior Bowl is the unofficial kick off to the draft season as the nation's top senior prospects compete in Mobile, Ala. with all 32 NFL teams in attendance. The game is scheduled for Saturday, Jan. 24 at Ladd-Peebles Stadium, but the real work is done during the daily practices throughout the week, starting on Tuesday.

With 110 roster spots, each player at the Senior Bowl has a chance to prove himself, but these 10 offensive prospects especially have much to gain this week.

QB Bryce Petty, Baylor (6-2, 230, 4.74)
This is Petty's week. Let's call it a “money” week for him because it's a chance for the Baylor passer to cement himself as the top senior quarterback prospect and worthy of a top-100 draft pick. The Senior Bowl is crucial to Petty's pro evaluation because it gives scouts a chance to study him under center and outside of Art Briles' shotgun, spread offense.

RB Ameer Abdullah, Nebraska (5-9, 190, 4.49)
As Nebraska's all-time leader in all-purpose yardage, there is more than enough game film out there for scouts to evaluate Abdullah. However, his performance in pass protection drills in Mobile will be a crucial part of his final draft grade. NFL teams know what Abdullah offers as an athlete, but his ability as a blocker will shape his role at the next level.

RB David Johnson, Northern Iowa (6-2, 215, 4.59)
Johnson is a stout runner with strong, decisive strides as an athlete, forcing defenders to bring their big boy pants to bring him down. But where he really shines is as a pass-catcher out of the backfield, using his focus and open field vision to be a threat on third down. Johnson projects as a bigger version of Charles Sims, who was a Senior Bowl standout last year.

WR Devin Smith, Ohio State (6-2, 198, 4.51)
A nine route monster, Smith has been one of the best deep threats in college football with 12 touchdowns on only 33 receptions in 2014 – that's a touchdown every 2.75 catches, best in the NCAA. But he has been very inconsistent on non-vertical routes and needs to prove himself as more than just a downfield target.

WR Sammie Coates, Auburn (6-1, 201, 4.48)
One of a few redshirt juniors who are eligible to participate this week, Coates has the physique and straight-line speed that evaluators covet at the receiver position. But he is not yet the sum of his parts with inconsistent routes and unreliable hands and needs to show better polish this week to show he's more than just a project.

TE Nick Boyle, Delaware (6-3, 265, 4.89)
One of several FCS prospects worth getting to know, Boyle doesn't have elite production (304 receiving yards in 2014), but his skill-set has drawn the attention of NFL scouts. He needs some technique work as a blocker, but the Blue Hen tight end moves well for his size with agile footwork to release off the line of scrimmage and get open.

OT T.J. Clemmings, Pittsburgh (6-5, 305, 4.78)
My favorite prospect in Mobile this week, Clemmings has been climbing draft boards throughout the season and a positive week at the Senior Bowl could make him the consensus top senior at tackle. A former defensive end, Clemmings is a mauler who dominates in the run game, but his performance during pass protection drills will be closely scrutinized.

OT Ty Sambrailo, Colorado State (6-5, 310, 5.29)
Colorado State had an offensive lineman (Weston Richburg) shine at the Senior Bowl last year and Sambrailo is attempting to follow in his footsteps. The athleticism and toughness are there, but his functional strength is a question mark for the next level, something Sambrailo won't be able to hide in Mobile.

OT La'el Collins, LSU (6-5, 315, 5.42)
LSU's starting left tackle the last two seasons, Collins will be an offensive tackle on some draft boards, but a guard on others so it will be interesting to see what position(s) he practices at during Senior Bowl drills. Although his tape isn't always pretty, he consistently gets the job done with finishing toughness that is second to none.

OG Shaq Mason, Georgia Tech (6-1, 305, 5.20) :towel
Like offensive skill players in Baylor's offense, it's tough to properly evaluate offensive line play in the Yellow Jackets triple option offense. But Mason's balanced athleticism and mean streak routinely stood out at guard for Georgia Tech, making his transition to a pro-style scheme intriguing. Mason is currently flying under the radar, but I'll bet he's a “riser” after Mobile.

D

Deuce

OG Shaq Mason, Georgia Tech (6-1, 305, 5.20) :towel
Like offensive skill players in Baylor's offense, it's tough to properly evaluate offensive line play in the Yellow Jackets triple option offense. But Mason's balanced athleticism and mean streak routinely stood out at guard for Georgia Tech, making his transition to a pro-style scheme intriguing. Mason is currently flying under the radar, but I'll bet he's a “riser” after Mobile.
I love the player, but I see no chance of us getting him. He's going to rise and we aren't going to burn another first on the OL. Would be a fantastic addition, though.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Josh Norris

All Star Circuit

2015 Senior Bowl Preview
Sunday, January 18, 2015

The Senior Bowl squads will be coached by two current NFL staffs (Jaguars and Titans), adding an extra dimension to their evaluations. For example, the Jaguars also coached the event last year and selected four attendees.

Just like my Shrine Week coverage, I will be constantly tweeting (@JoshNorris) and producing frequent articles.

Before we dive into the top prospects attending the event, let us discuss the conclusions that can be drawn from practice. I have a baseline evaluation for every player attending this week, with the main goal of understanding where each player wins. This is important, since many of these prospects will be utilized in new ways and in a new environment during the Senior Bowl. Therefore, their success might be limited or they might put forth poor performances. These will be written up in practice reports in a negative light, but sometimes without context.

Take Alfonzo Dennard for example. A few years ago, DBs coach Raheem Morris asked his corners to play off coverage during one on one drills, and Dennard was smoked play after play. He was used to pressing and getting physical with receivers at the line of scrimmage, then sticking with them downfield at his own pace. Dennard has improved in off coverage, but it has taken some time. His week of practice was bashed by many. I think it lacked understanding and context.

Practice notes are great and I learn so much from watching prospects this week. Just use your own judgment in some of the conclusions and do not be afraid to ask the author questions regarding certain performances.

Out Of Place

Senior Bowl Executive Director Phil Savage is a smart man. He evaluates so many prospects on his own and is not afraid to ask NFL evaluators who they want to see and in what role. With that said, I believe some prospects will be practicing out of position this week. Or, at the very least, are listed in the wrong spot.

First, let us start with LBs vs EDGE vs DL. There are multiple EDGE players listed as LBs who will likely be uncomfortable if asked to play at the second level. Those names include Zack Hodges of Harvard, Lorenzo Mauldin of Louisville, Lynden Trail of Norfolk State and Geneo Grissom of Oklahoma. Teams usually practice with multiple fronts, but all four could see a limited amount of pass rushing attempts during 1 on 1s. Henry Anderson of Stanford is listed as a DE but mostly played in the 1 and 3 techniques this year, so hopefully he matches up against guards and centers more than tackles. Expect Preston Smith from Miss State and Gabe Wright from Auburn to see time inside and out.

Quarterbacks

Let’s start with this statement: Alabama’s Blake Sims will show the traits and tools to be considered the No. 3 quarterback in this class. I already place him there, but that means nothing more than being the best of the third day quarterback prospects. He has and uses his functional mobility in the pocket while keep his eyes up to go along with an arm to threaten multiple levels of the field. He has very inconsistent placement, however, as Sims makes some ridiculous window throws along the sideline but the shows poor accuracy to be intercepted within the same series.

The other quarterback I’d take a chance on late in the third day? Nick Marshall from Auburn. Yes, the sixth quarterback invited who comes from Gus Malzahn’s run first, play action second offense. He is the developmental type and many will soon critique his hand size (likely under 9”), the issue is most teams are not patient enough to keep a quarterback on their roster they must wait on.

I do not think ECU’s Shane Carden is an NFL quarterback. Baylor’s Bryce Petty struggles when pressured in the pocket or when throwing to covered receivers. His game takes a significant step back when one of those takes place, and it will in more often in the NFL. Sean Mannion is not a mobile quarterback against disruption and struggles when forced to. Garrett Grayson is another interesting prospect. His offense at Colorado State was a lot of fun to watch. They’d go from four wide to heavy overload running plays on back to back snaps. I’m guessing he is very bright, but physically he is limited. He will absolutely get drafted and wouldn’t be surprised to see him as a long term backup and potential spot start if the situation called for it.

Running Backs

This year’s running back class is very good and made up mostly of non-seniors. Two stand out in this one: Minnesota’s David Cobb and Nebraska’s Ameer Abdullah. You all know my infatuation with Cobb. I think he is Le’Veon Bell after taxes. Cobb can absolutely picked up the yards blocked for him between the tackles and outside, but he also creates plenty of yards on his own behind the line of scrimmage or at the second level. He shows more comfort as a receiver than many expect.

Abdullah made the most of monstrous holes at Nebraska, creating a lot of yards with speed and missed arm tackles. he also made a handful of big plays as a receiver. Teams will want to know if he works best behind base or slanting fronts and how he runs when lanes aren’t obvious.

Northern Iowa’s David Johnson is inline for a bit of a position switch, as he is potentially the best receiving back in this class. His body control to adjust to catches is receiver-esque. A team projecting Johnson as an H-back might be his best fit.

~

Wide Receivers

I am extremely bummed West Virginia’s Kevin White and FSU’s Rashad Greene dropped out. They were the two top receivers at the event. Still, this year’s event has more WR talent than 2014. Like Michigan State’s Tony Lippett. There is nothing flashy about Lippett’s frame or athleticism, however, he is one of the best route runners in this class and wins in contested situations. Connor Cook trusted him there.

Duke’s Jamison Crowder reminds me a lot of John Brown. He wins on the ground with burst in the “small” game but also plays bigger than his listed size. Don’t let his 8.5” hands trouble you, Crowder is very reliable when catching.

ECU’s Justin Hardy seamlessly projects to the slot, and I will be paying attention to how he fares outside. However, that is not where he wins, so expectations should be tempered. He is a role player.

Tight Ends

I was not expecting to be as impressed with these tight ends as I am. Notre Dame’s Ben Koyack stands out. In 2013, Koyack was relied on as more of an H-back due to Troy Niklas’ inline ability. Koyack is a much better receiver than Niklas, mostly making his home on short to intermediate routes but occasionally winning downfield. He is a willing and adequate blocker, which is all you need to stay on the field.

Kent State’s Casey Pierce is draftable and looked smooth enough to threaten as a receiver. Nick Boyle from Delaware is a bit of a wildcard. He is built like the traditional tight end: 6’4/270 pounds with monstrous 10” hands.

Offensive Linemen

Tackles recently picked early in the draft have struggled for one reason: a lack of functional strength. The looked to possess outstanding technique and body position, but once knocked out of posture or off balance they lack the strength to recover or accomplish their assignment without a perfect base.

Functional strength is certainly not an issue for LSU’s La’EL Collins or Pittsburgh’s T.J. Clemmings. Both can maul and move their individual assignments off the ball. I would even go as far to say both are athletic enough for zone blocking and have shown enough movement skills to get to the second level. At the same time, these two have produced some terrible snaps. Do not let a few horrible snaps cloud an offensive line evaluation. It is about the total package, not a few low points.

To fill the technical and positioning tier, Colorado State’s Ty Sambrailo is a likely top 50 selection. Two interior prospects to watch are guards Shaq Mason and Arie Kouandjio. You know about the latter due to his brother, but Arie has ridiculous length (34” arms) and massive hands (nearly 11”). He uses both to win, sometimes unconventionally, against his face up opponent. Mason is out of Georgia Tech and is a road grader in the running game, finishing off blocks with true power. His pass protection will be under close watch this week.

Defensive Linemen/EDGE

Henry Anderson out of Stanford showed plenty of consistency and strength at the point of attack this year. Some will nitpick because he wins in a certain way (straight-line power) but is proficient in that and can reset his momentum because of it. Mississippi State’s Preston Smith reminds me a lot of Malik Jackson in terms of winning inside with quickness and outside with strength.

Washington’s massive NT Danny Shelton will receive a ton of attention this week. There are many outstanding flashes in Shelton’s game, which fits the NFL’s incorporation of rotation up front. Some even consider Shelton a top 10 selection. I am not one of them.

Two more Pac-12 standouts, UCLA’s Owamagbe Odighizuwa and Washington’s Hau’oli Kikaha. Owa has an awesome first snap but limited bend. Kikaha is one of the best at using his hands and length to win on first contact and on counter moves. Both will have important medicals.

~

Linebackers

It is a bummer Eric Kendricks and Paul Dawson are not attending, both due to injury. They make up two of my top three prospects at the position. Many like Miami’s Denzel Perryman. I do appreciate some of his qualities, namely aggressive angles downhill once seeing open lanes to ball carriers. He is your traditional linebacker who likes to meet lead blockers in the hole.

Cincinnati’s Jeff Luc is intriguing. He might measure in under 6’0” but displayed a lot of success in multiple alignments.

Defensive Backs

Three corners will get plenty of run in 1 on 1s. First, Miami (OH)’s Quinten Rollins. The four year basketball player has one year of FBS football under his belt. His cross-sport movements skills are obvious at a position which the best display patience and footwork. Add on aggressive ball skills and you have a potential first-round pick.

TCU’s Kevin White is somewhat similar to his teammate last year, Jason Verrett, in terms of playing bigger than his size (5’9/175). He had a very good game against West Virginia’s version of K.W. Finally, Senquez Golson played in a bunch of off coverage at Ole Miss, so his test will be pressing talented receivers at the line.

There is always one big hitting safety who steals the hearts of media evaluators. This year, that will be Jaquiski Tartt. Mark it down. A nickel linebacker role could be in his future.

Top 20 Attending

1. T La’El Collins, LSU

2. T T.J. Clemmings, Pitt

3. EDGE Hau’oli Kikaha, Washington

4. DL Preston Smith, Miss State

5. DL Henry Anderson, Stanford

6. DL Danny Shelton, Washington

7. CB Quinten Rollins, Miami (OH)

8. RB David Cobb, Minnesota

9. EDGE Owamagbe Odighizuwa, UCLA

10. CB Kevin White, TCU

11. WR Tony Lippett, Michigan State

12. WR Jamison Crowder, Duke

13. G Shaq Mason, Georgia Tech

14. G Arie Kouandjio, Alabama

15. T Ty Sambrailo, Colorado St

16. RB Ameer Abdullah, Nebraska

17. DL Carl Davis, Iowa

18. CB Senquez Golson, Ole Miss

19. TE Ben Koyack, Notre Dame

20. S Jaquiski Tartt, Samford

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I love the player, but I see no chance of us getting him. He's going to rise and we aren't going to burn another first on the OL. Would be a fantastic addition, though.
Not so sure about that. Since he was tainted by working out of the triple option, he is a bit of a project. I think he will be around in the third round.

D

Deuce

Not so sure about that. Since he was tainted by working out of the triple option, he is a bit of a project. I think he will be around in the third round.
I think he's going to rise at least to the 2nd and he won't be around when we pick then...so it's either spend the 1st on him when all the 1st round prospects are gone or trade down. Either way, I don't think Jones will want to go through the hassle for another OL.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
When it comes to the O-line in an ideal world we would resign Free and draft another Free like project in the fourth/fifth round area. I wouldn't be looking to draft a guard very highly in this draft. Not unless Leary's knee is becoming a serious issue behind the scenes that I'm not aware of.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Top 20 Attending

1. T La’El Collins, LSU

2. T T.J. Clemmings, Pitt

3. EDGE Hau’oli Kikaha, Washington

4. DL Preston Smith, Miss State

5. DL Henry Anderson, Stanford

6. DL Danny Shelton, Washington

7. CB Quinten Rollins, Miami (OH)

8. RB David Cobb, Minnesota

9. EDGE Owamagbe Odighizuwa, UCLA

10. CB Kevin White, TCU

11. WR Tony Lippett, Michigan State

12. WR Jamison Crowder, Duke

13. G Shaq Mason, Georgia Tech

14. G Arie Kouandjio, Alabama

15. T Ty Sambrailo, Colorado St

16. RB Ameer Abdullah, Nebraska

17. DL Carl Davis, Iowa

18. CB Senquez Golson, Ole Miss

19. TE Ben Koyack, Notre Dame

20. S Jaquiski Tartt, Samford
Two guys that I really like and I think are way too low on this list. Carl Davis is a manchild who would be a massive upgrade to the Golden Cock in our defense. He plays with great strength and leverage but he also has some surprising ability to penetrate for a man his size. Then obviously Ameer Abdullah. He has so much big play ability as a RB it's scary. He isn't as physically big as you might like but he will add some weight at the NFL level and he has that low center of gravity to break tackles and get through tight holes.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Preston Smith is a guy who I think will be a riser this week, I don't know exactly where he's projected to go right now, probably late 2nd-early 3rd, but with a good week of practice I think we start talking about him as a possibility at 27.

Long arms, great size, can play inside in pass-rushing situations while being able to stop the run and provide some pass rush as a DE in base situations.

I also like Abdullah and Carl Davis, if we could get a guy like Davis in the 3rd or 4th that'd be amazing.

The alphabet guy from UCLA is pretty good too, he was a 5 star recruit I believe but had some injuries early on in college, he might be another consideration at 27 or if we trade down into the early-mid 2nd.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
This year’s running back class is very good and made up mostly of non-seniors. Two stand out in this one: Minnesota’s David Cobb and Nebraska’s Ameer Abdullah. You all know my infatuation with Cobb. I think he is Le’Veon Bell after taxes. Cobb can absolutely picked up the yards blocked for him between the tackles and outside, but he also creates plenty of yards on his own behind the line of scrimmage or at the second level.
Totally agree. Not that I've watched him that much, but against Ohio State I was really impressed with him. Think he's a real sleeper type.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Preston Smith is a guy who I think will be a riser this week, I don't know exactly where he's projected to go right now, probably late 2nd-early 3rd, but with a good week of practice I think we start talking about him as a possibility at 27.

Long arms, great size, can play inside in pass-rushing situations while being able to stop the run and provide some pass rush as a DE in base situations.

I also like Abdullah and Carl Davis, if we could get a guy like Davis in the 3rd or 4th that'd be amazing.

The alphabet guy from UCLA is pretty good too, he was a 5 star recruit I believe but had some injuries early on in college, he might be another consideration at 27 or if we trade down into the early-mid 2nd.
I only saw the youtube highlights of Smith and didn't like it.
Davis and alphabet guy I can get behind, but not at 27 because of medical concerns.

D

Deuce

I was initially disappointed to see Greene drop out for the week cause I think he's a real nice player that could move up and push someone down to us...but seeing as Rannell Hall was added to the roster, I can't complain.

He's my favorite of the 5 UCF WR's in this draft and would love spending a late round pick on him. Decent KR skills, but his ability in the open field would make him a perfect slot option.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2015/01/10-senior-bowl-players-dallas-cowboys-will-be-watching-this-week-in-mobile-alabama.html/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

MOBILE, Ala. – The Dallas Cowboys’ NFL draft prep hits another gear this week with club officials on hand here in Mobile, Ala., to watch Senior Bowl practices over the next three days.

The Cowboys know just how beneficial this time can be for them based on last year, when they saw Notre Dame offensive lineman Zack Martin dominate during the week of Senior Bowl practices. They ended up selecting Martin with their first-round pick at 16th overall and he became a Pro Bowl player in his rookie season.

Cowboys scouts flew to Mobile, Ala., on Monday evening and will watch many of the nation’s top senior draft prospects practice against each other for the next three days. The Cowboys coaches are usually here, but they’re in Arizona this week to coach one of the Pro Bowl teams.

Cowboys scouts will be at the Senior Bowl’s NFL scouting weigh-in Tuesday morning, when each player will be shirtless in front of scouts from every NFL team. Each player will be weighed and measured (height) in front of scouts and also have their arm length, hand size and wingspan called out.

Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones will be in Mobile, Ala., on Tuesday morning and in the stands for the the first practice of the week when the North squad works out at Ladd-Peebles Stadium.

The Cowboys need defensive line help and could use more depth at cornerback and safety. Jones has said the Cowboys will be looking to add a pass-rushing defensive end for nexd year. The Cowboys could also be in the market for a starting running back if they decide to not re-sign free agent DeMarco Murray, who led the league in rushing in 2014.

With those needs in mind, here’s a look at 10 players the Cowboys could have their eyes on this week at Senior Bowl practices:

Player; Pos.; School; Ht.; Wt.; Notbale

Ameer Abdullah; RB; Nebraska; 5-9; 190; Rushed for 1,611 yards and 19 TDs on 264 carries

David Cobb; RB; Minnesota; 5-11; 225; Killeen, Texas, product led all senior college RBs in rushing yards last season with 1,626 on 314 carries

Kurtis Drummond; FS; Michigan State; 6-1; 200; Had 233 career tackles and 12 interceptions

Trey Flowers; DE; Arkansas; 6-3; 262; Had 6 sacks, 15.5 tackles for loss as senior

Senquez Golson; CB; Mississippi; 5-9; 180; His 10 interceptions ranked second in nation last season

Doran Grant; CB; Ohio State; 5-10; 193; Co-captain of national championship team finished career with 9 interceptions, 20 pass breakups

Grady Jarrett; DT; Clemson; 6-0; 290; In 48 college games, had 207 tackles, 29.5 tackles for loss

Hau’oli Kikaha; DE; Washington; 6-3; 260; Led nation last season with 19 sacks

Nate Orchard; DE; Utah; 6-4; 255; Had 18.5 sacks in 13 games last season

Quinten Rollins; CB; Miami (Ohio); 6-0; 203; His 7 interceptions tied for third nationally last season

Carp

DCC 4Life
Cobb, Drummond, and Golson are pet cats of mine.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The two winners of the weigh ins today were the UCLA DL with the weird name and Danny Shelton.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Trey Flowers will shoot up if he has a good practice week. So will Lynden Trail. Two DEs to keep an eye out for.

Top Bottom