2015 NFL Draft--Hypothetical Situation

D

Deuce

I'm not a big fan of DT sized DE's. I like Lawrence but we need another elite pass rushing threat for the outside and I don't see that in a 6'5" 290 lb guy. Not thrilled with my options at the top of this draft right now but guys will emerge. For the time being I'll begrudgingly say Mariota although I have some serious concerns about his pure passing ability. I've seen him put in some real stinker games passing where he couldn't seem to hit anyone. I'm worried that he will really struggle when forced to throw into tight windows on a regular basis.

There is always Ifo Ekpre-Olomu...
DE's that size scare me except when they have elite athleticism like Williams does.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah, Mariotta for me as well.

Carp

DCC 4Life
As an aside...I am seeing some mocks with Cook in the top 15 now.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Right now it's a toss up between Mariota, Williams and I guess Winston, with a gun to my head I probably go Mariota but it's very close and obviously there are a million things that will change over the next 3-6 months.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Leonard Williams. I don't want any part of any Oregon QB. Never trust a QB who plays in the zone read option. Ever.

cmd34

Brand New Member
USC homer says Big Leonard Williams.

Jerry should be able to market that hair.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I'm not a big fan of DT sized DE's. I like Lawrence but we need another elite pass rushing threat for the outside and I don't see that in a 6'5" 290 lb guy. Not thrilled with my options at the top of this draft right now but guys will emerge. For the time being I'll begrudgingly say Mariota although I have some serious concerns about his pure passing ability. I've seen him put in some real stinker games passing where he couldn't seem to hit anyone. I'm worried that he will really struggle when forced to throw into tight windows on a regular basis.

There is always Ifo Ekpre-Olomu...
Maybe if we were going back to the 3-4. Our D scheme may be up in the air following the season.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
Maybe if we were going back to the 3-4. Our D scheme may be up in the air following the season.
not like we have any players other than George Selvie that can't play a 3-4. The past two seasons (speculating this season as one of them) have been a nightmare and I legitimately miss the 3-4

D

Deuce

He would also be ideal if we stuck with the current system. He was ideal rushing the passer in Monte's defense.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think I look at Leonard Williams in the first. He can play End and kick inside on passing downs.

Then in the 2nd, I grab or even trade into the late first for Connor Cook.
I have a feeling Cook will be next year's Bortles.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If we lose to the Titans I really think we are going to have a strong shot at one of the top QB's assuming we want one. If you look at most of the teams who could potentially finish worse than us, teams like the Raiders, Browns, Jaguars and Redskins, they all have young QB's that I doubt they would want to give up on, and they'd likely try to trade down or just pass up a guy like Mariota or Winston.

I don't see us doing any better than about 8-8 one way or the other but if we lose to Tennessee I could easily see us winning 4 or 5 games and ending up with a pick around 5-8. From that position we could either trade up or one of the guys might just fall to that spot anyway. If we do end up finishing that poorly Garrett will certainly be gone and I'm betting Jerry will want to infuse the fanbase with excitement, apparently he missed that opportunity with Manziel and I really don't see anybody being able to contain him from getting Mariota or Winston if our season does in fact end up like that.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
not like we have any players other than George Selvie that can't play a 3-4. The past two seasons (speculating this season as one of them) have been a nightmare and I legitimately miss the 3-4
Selvie's deal is up after this year anyway. IMO, Lawrence is better in a 3-4 than a 4-3 and our LBs corps would be more modular and easier to rotate as 3-4 ILBs.

cmd34

Brand New Member
3-4 could look like :

LDE Ben Gardner or FA/draft upgrade
NT Terrell McClain or Ken Bishop or FA/draft upgrade
RDE Tyrone Crawford
LOLB Kyle Wilber
LILB Rolando McClain
RILB Sean "Gent" Lee
ROLB Demarcus Lawrence

Opt out on Henry Melton, cut Jeremy Mincey, let George Selvie and Anthony Spencer walk. Use cap room to get a Free Safety and D Line upgrades.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
3-4 could look like :

LDE Ben Gardner or FA/draft upgrade
NT Terrell McClain or Ken Bishop or FA/draft upgrade
RDE Tyrone Crawford
LOLB Kyle Wilber
LILB Rolando McClain
RILB Sean "Gent" Lee
ROLB Demarcus Lawrence

Opt out on Henry Melton, cut Jeremy Mincey, let George Selvie and Anthony Spencer walk. Use cap room to get a Free Safety and D Line upgrades.
I hate to say it because the guy isn't Bill Belichick by any means, but Dom Capers as head coach, Todd Grantham as DC and that defensive lineup would be an improvement.

Rex Ryan as HC, Mike Nolan (if we could get him from the Falcons) as DC would be even better.

I can't stand a bad defensive team. I hated Mike Zimmer's guts when he was here and the D has been so bad since 2010 I miss him like crazy now.

I think you can turn around a defense fast with a highly aggressive 3-4. Fat Wade has done it 100 times, he just doesn't have the wrinkles to keep it good once offensive coordinators have film on him. I think it takes a decade to build a great 4-3 and I just don't think my liver can take a decade of this shit.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Since we're quite clearly going to be nowhere near the 1st overall pick, I'd like to point out that I really like how this class is shaping up in terms of our first round pick. Our biggest need is obviously DL, whether it be DE or DT, and that seems to be the deepest position group in this years class, definitely in the 1st round.

You have elite talent at the top in Williams and Gregory, guys like Oakman and Ray who probably go in the top 15 and then a multitude of guys who could be 1st rounders in Dante Fowler, Shilique Calhoun, Alvin Dupree, Eddie Goldman, Danny Shelton, Arik Armstead and Mario Edwards Jr.

I didn't like Calhoun when we were talking about him in the top 10 area but if we're sitting at 24 and he's there?

I'm good with that, I also like this Dupree guy alot, he looks explosive off the edge and has some size to him.

Top Bottom