2014 College Football Chatter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Pretty much.

Ohio State has proven that they can muscle their way down the field.

I don't get what they think can happen. I believe they have used up their quota of getting turnovers.

Without that, this would have been a blow out a long time ago.
I know OSU's speed impressed, but it was their physicality that won this game.

As usual, a physical team punches a finesse one in the mouth, and it completely throws off their game.

Also, Urban Meyer is one hell of a coach and deserves to be in the conversation with Saban for best overall.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Whoa....another 1st down?

Who could've seen that coming?

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Until the final play, Ohio State had 4 turnover to Oregon's 0 and still won 42-20.

Carp

DCC 4Life
The talk now goes to what OSU is going to do at QB. Jones really impressed down the stretch...reminds me a little of Cam Newton. I would not be at all surprised if he declares and gets taken before the 4th round...this is a weak class of QBs that could definitely elevate his status. Miller is a goner IMO...just needs to pick a school he wants to transfer to.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I've said this before.....if I'm Tampa I don't take Mariota or Winston at #1 overall. But if push came to shove and I absolutely had to take one, I'd roll the dice on Winston over Mariota.

Mariota seems too gimmicky to me. I don't see a huge difference between him and other read-option/spread QBs who've gone on to the pros and failed.

When Kaepernick and Vince Young are the "success" stories for those types of QBs it should make you uneasy burning a first round pick on one.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I've said this before.....if I'm Tampa I don't take Mariota or Winston at #1 overall. But if push came to shove and I absolutely had to take one, I'd roll the dice on Winston over Mariota.

Mariota seems too gimmicky to me. I don't see a huge difference between him and other read-option/spread QBs who've gone on to the pros and failed.

When Kaepernick and Vince Young are the "success" stories for those types of QBs it should make you uneasy burning a first round pick on one.
Winston is the guy who can make all the throws and actually has excellent football IQ. He anticipates well and is a smart football player. If the off the field stuff was not happening he would be the clear cut #1 overall prospect...and it would not even be close.

D

Deuce

I agree. They are going to be pressured into taking one and if they do, Winston is the right choice.

But if I were them, I'd trade down and go OT.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I agree. They are going to be pressured into taking one and if they do, Winston is the right choice.

But if I were them, I'd trade down and go OT.
Depending how far down they move, Randy Gregory is a guy I would want if I was them. Their DEs need an upgrade.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
While the SEC was down this year and not involved in the title game, Ohio St just won because Urban Meyer transformed them away from the typical Big 10 team into an SEC type team with both power and speed.

Carp

DCC 4Life
While the SEC was down this year and not involved in the title game, Ohio St just won because Urban Meyer transformed them away from the typical Big 10 team into an SEC type team with both power and speed.
Their speed jumped off the screen, particularly defensively.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Boy...the closer I look at the QB class year the more I think Jones should declare. Winston and Mariota are the top 2, but after that you have guys like Petty, Hundley, Carden, Mannion, Grayson...you could make a case he is better than all those players.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Until the final play, Ohio State had 4 turnover to Oregon's 0 and still won 42-20.
I think that there is a chance that TCU could be better the Oregon. You can't penalize FSU for being undefeated though. The selections were probably right but the teams were wrong, if that makes sense.

Expand to 8 and call it a day.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I think that there is a chance that TCU could be better the Oregon. You can't penalize FSU for being undefeated though. The selections were probably right but the teams were wrong, if that makes sense.

Expand to 8 and call it a day.
This year was an anomaly. FSU was the weakest of the 4 but since they were undefeated and reigning champs it's hard to leave them out. Alabama and Oregon were top 2 going in and OSU was on the bubble but clearly showed they belonged. As it turns out TCU has a good argument, but most years there is really only a debate between teams 2/3 or teams 2-4 as far as who the top two are.

I'm 100% in favor of a playoff but if you open it to 8 teams you're going to get a few 2 loss teams in most years. I don't think that's necessary and I think most seasons teams 4-6 really will have no legit claim. This was just an odd one.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I'm 100% in favor of a playoff but if you open it to 8 teams you're going to get a few 2 loss teams in most years. I don't think that's necessary and I think most seasons teams 4-6 really will have no legit claim. This was just an odd one.
Add another weekend, more games, more revenue, more excitement...why wouldn't college football want that?

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Add another weekend, more games, more revenue, more excitement...why wouldn't college football want that?
They may eventually. I'm not opposed to 8, but think 4 is fine and serves the purpose of making sure the top 2 teams are included.

D

Deuce

That was the argument for why a playoff needed to happen in the first place and you saw how long it took to put that together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom