2014 College Football Chatter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deuce

I don't understand why TCU jumped FSU in the first place.
If these polls have shown us anything this year, it's the committee is very reactive to weekly events. FSU continues to struggle with bad teams. I assume they don't want to let it look like they're letting a poorly scheduled unbeaten slide through easily. But after next week, both FSU and OSU will have another quality win under their belts while TCU plays a nobody. That'll hurt them in the end.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I don't understand why TCU jumped FSU in the first place.
Leading up to tonight's reveal some College Football insiders were saying the committee will probably manipulate the rankings so that undefeated Florida State is allowed to play closer to home. With a #1 or #4 ranking FSU gets a Sugar Bowl birth. If they land at 2 or 3 they'd have to go all the way out west to the Rose Bowl.

So I think that has a lot to do with it, even though the committee will never admit it.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Lots of Baylor fans whining on my timeline. This would agitate them more.

D

Deuce

Lots of Baylor fans whining on my timeline. This would agitate them more.
I agree with them. They should be the lone conference champion and that would give them a huge boost to the committee. The conference is screwing them on that.

D

Deuce

@YahooForde: Y sources: Florida in latter stages of finalizing deal to make Jim McElwain next football coach

Geez, not exactly shooting for the moon.

cmd34

Brand New Member
@YahooForde: Y sources: Florida in latter stages of finalizing deal to make Jim McElwain next football coach

Geez, not exactly shooting for the moon.
McElwain is sneaky good hire IMO.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
So, can Michigan come up with a big enough truck full of money to sign Harbaugh?

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
So, can Michigan come up with a big enough truck full of money to sign Harbaugh?
The money isn't the issue. It's whether we're willing to spend it and if Harbaugh is willing to leave the NFL. Personally, I don't think it'll happen. I want us to get him, but I don't think we will.

Carp

DCC 4Life
The problem with Harbaugh is timing. He still has this season in the NFL to see through and if they make the playoffs that pushes things out further. I'd think they would want to name someone ASAP for recruiting, but if they can get him I am sure they would wait...just would hinder his first season.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I think TCU is the better team so I'm glad they keep staying ahead of Baylor, but I completely understand their gripe.

It just goes to show that while the 4 team playoff is an improvement, college football's system for determining a champion is still flawed because the process of elimination is still done via a process of votes and opinions, even if those votes/opinions are being determined a bit differently than before.

An 8 team playoff will eliminate these issues once and for all.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think TCU is the better team so I'm glad they keep staying ahead of Baylor, but I completely understand their gripe.

It just goes to show that while the 4 team playoff is an improvement, college football's system for determining a champion is still flawed because the process of elimination is still determined by votes and opinions, even if those votes/opinions are being determined a bit differently.

An 8 team playoff will eliminate these issues once and for all.
It will still be base on votes and opinions with 8 teams, so not sure how that eliminates these issues at all. No one will ever be happy...teams ranked 9-15 would probably feel slighted that they did not get in.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
It will still be base on votes and opinions with 8 teams, so not sure how that eliminates these issues at all. No one will ever be happy...teams ranked 9-15 would probably feel slighted that they did not get in.
You're right, someone may be upset who sits out at #9, but it won't be anywhere near as controversial as it's been in the past because you've pretty much got your worthy teams covered by including 8.

Unless it's a really weird year, teams out of the top 8 are not going to have a legitimate argument on being a possible NC. Look at the teams right now for instance - do you honestly believe that Miss St, Georgia Tech, Wisconsin, Arizona, or Kansas State would have a legitimate shot to win it all? I don't, and I don't think many other people do either.

My point is, while teams would still feel left out on way or another even in an 8 team playoff, the idea is to give the teams who legitimately have a shot to be a NC a chance at competing for said NC. By including 8 teams, I think you've succeeded at including all the teams who are truly worthy of competing for the title.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
You're right, someone may be upset who sits out at #9, but it won't be anywhere near as controversial as it's been in the past because you've pretty much got your worthy teams covered by including 8.

Unless it's a really weird year, teams out of the top 8 are not going to have a legitimate argument on being a possible NC. Look at the teams right now for instance - do you honestly believe that Miss St, Georgia Tech, Wisconsin, Arizona, or Kansas State would have a legitimate shot to win it all? I don't, and I don't think many other people do either.

My point is, while teams would still feel left out on way or another even in an 8 team playoff, the idea is to give the teams who legitimately have a shot to be a NC a chance at competing for said NC. By including 8 teams, I think you've succeeded at including all the teams who are truly worthy of competing for the title.

I think it is possible for one of those teams to win. Teams get hot or other teams don't show up. The point is that more teams could have a legit shot at winning.

D

Deuce

If you're sitting at 9, you most definitely will have had at least 2 losses and maybe 3. As far as I'm concerned, STFU because you blew it. 1 loss teams are going to happen to elite programs because going undefeted, even in weak conferences, is extremely hard. So making room for all the 1 loss teams would be ideal, IMO. But if you do worse than that, you don't belong in the conversation.

Carp

DCC 4Life
If you're sitting at 9, you most definitely will have had at least 2 losses and maybe 3. As far as I'm concerned, STFU because you blew it. 1 loss teams are going to happen to elite programs because going undefeted, even in weak conferences, is extremely hard. So making room for all the 1 loss teams would be ideal, IMO. But if you do worse than that, you don't belong in the conversation.
I feel like if you are sitting at 5 you should STFU.

If you went to 8 teams this year you are going to have at least two 2 loss teams. There are just always going to be people on the edge who feel they deserve a shot. Maybe you go with the big 5 conference winners, then 3 wild card teams. At least 5 of the spots would have definitive standards to get in.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

I suppose in that system you could say that. I like the idea that a team with loses can work their way back. We've had, what, two 7 lose teams win the super bowl in the NFL?

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I feel like if you are sitting at 5 you should STFU.

If you went to 8 teams this year you are going to have at least two 2 loss teams. There are just always going to be people on the edge who feel they deserve a shot. Maybe you go with the big 5 conference winners, then 3 wild card teams. At least 5 of the spots would have definitive standards to get in.

I don't hate that idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom