1st round pick: Tyler Smith, OT, Tulsa

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
That's better hand placement/punch than I saw from him in any of the 4 whole games I watched.

It's possible that he just doesn't take that well to coaching and reverts back to bad habits in the heat of the moment, and that he never really becomes anything more than a good OG who wins with brute power/size/strength.

But it's also just as possible that he takes a quantum leap once he gets proper coaching with an emphasis on his technique after only starting football around 16 or so.

As long as he's not a moron all he has to do is absorb all he can from Tyron and he'll end up being at least an above average LT.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
^^ and while you can always be fooled, he sure doesn't seem like a moron from his interviews and the way he carries himself.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
^^ and while you can always be fooled, he sure doesn't seem like a moron from his interviews and the way he carries himself.
Yea, the way he interviewed made me more optimistic, kind of like Parsons last year since so much of my concern with him was his mindset/maturity.

With Smith it's similar, but more in terms of his desire to learn/improve the nuanced aspects of playing the position, whereas with Parsons it was more about his off-field maturity.

Emmitt Staubach

Not So New Member
Overview
Power merchant who plays the game with a field demeanor that can work in his favor on one play and against him on the next snap. Smith is able to displace defenders as a run blocker despite lacking proper hand usage for leverage. He's explosive and athletic but struggles to sustain and finish what he starts. He's too quick to discard any semblance of technique in favor of bear-hugging the opponent and drawing a penalty. A move from tackle to guard would allow teams to feature his downhill power in the rushing attack while reducing exposure in pass protection. The holes in his game can all be filled if he accepts coaching and brings it to the field on Sundays.
Strengths
  • Big, wide and nasty.
  • Violent and powerful at the point of attack.
  • Strong grip to stymie opponents.
  • Leg drive to move interior defender out of the gap.
  • Can kick-out or cave-in the edge defender.
  • Ability to slide laterally and capture play-side edge on wide run.
  • Adequate quickness out of stance and into pass set.
  • Flexion in hips and ankles helps establish his anchor.
  • Could see vaulted success rate with improved hand usage.
  • Reactive athleticism aids recovery talent in pass pro.
Weaknesses
  • Overall play is raw and undisciplined.
  • Pass protection technique needs overhaul.
  • Fails to maintain a grounded, balanced base.
  • Hands swing way out wide and rarely catch rusher's frame.
  • Defaulted to holding penalties at an alarming rate.
  • Fails to finish his block at times.
  • Doesn't play with consistent body control as run blocker.
  • Allows defender to cross his face and penetrate the gap.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm excited to see this dude at guard. I know there will be growing pains. But in terms of sheer power and just destroying people he is our first O-lineman in awhile to get excited about. I've been wanting that at LG for years. I'm tired of finesse guards out there just shielding guys off. I want a dude who can knock guys backwards and hold his ground. I'm hopeful that he will actually be fun to watch which is rare for an O-lineman.

Top Bottom