1st Round Pick #28 Taco Charlton

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Dierdorf is a HOF player and former NFL announcer, now calls Michigan games.

Dan Dierdorf -- NFL Hall of Famer and current Michigan football color commentator -- recently joined ESPN 103.3 FM's "J Dub City" with Will Chambers and Jean-Jacques Taylor to discuss Cowboys first round pick Taco Charlton.

Here are some highlights:

What to expect from Taco

Will Chambers: I wanted to get your thoughts: what can the Dallas Cowboys fans expect to see from Taco Charlton next season?

Dan Dierdorf: Well I think it was a smart choice by Jerry [Jones], Stephen and everyone in the Cowboys organization. I think you get a really solid, fundamentally sound football player. I know everybody's looking for an edge rusher, but Taco can play the run.

Taco has a great motor. And the thing I liked best about watching him over his college career: it seemed that every time he played a game he was better than the game before.

I think he's still an ascending player. He's not one of those guys that you say, 'He's peaked and this is all we're gonna get.' I think Taco Charlton is getting better every game.

Is he inconsistent like scouting reports say?

Will Chambers: We saw six sacks in his last five games, but there's analysis out there that he was inconsistent. What do you think of that analysis?

Dan Dierdorf: I don't see that. I think [if] you break down every single play there's a danger in looking at just one play and trying to make a decision off that. You know, Myles Garrett was inconsistent and yet he was the first player taken in the draft. I'm not sure what that means.

I think Taco; he doesn't have the flash that maybe some of the guys we've seen that went high up in the draft in previous years doing the spectacular things. But Taco Charlton is one of those guys that a coach loves to have on the team. He's a rock-solid good citizen, hard worker, good teammate, great in the locker room and a productive player on the field. I'd be surprised if he wasn't a solid contributing player for the Cowboys for many years.

The Jim Harbaugh effect

Jean-Jacques Taylor: What's the advantage, do you think, of having a college head coach like Jim Harbaugh with significant NFL experience?

Dan Dierdorf: I think it has a lot of different ramifications. One is it helps in recruiting. Let's face it: kids that are in high school, a lot of them look at a university as a pathway to the NFL. I think it's a dangerous way of thinking. Any way you look at it a very, very small minority of high school seniors now playing football in America are gonna end up in the National Football League. But having a head coach who has NFL experience [is] a large recruiting tool.

Secondly, I think Jim Harbaugh runs an NFL-type program in the sense that he runs a pro offense. His quarterbacks can play quarterback in the NFL. They know how to drop back and run that style of offense.

Same thing defensively. Taco Charlton has been coached on the defensive line by Greg Mattison. Greg Mattison used to be the defensive coordinator of the Baltimore Ravens. Tremendous NFL experience coaching guys like [Terrell] Suggs and on down the line.

Having NFL experience on a college coaching staff is a big deal.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

dallen

Senior Tech
That would be a whole lot more useful if he also compared them to the average NFL starting DE.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Stupid comparison based on measurements only.

Whatever makes someone feel good I guess.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I may start a poll to declare a DCC-consensus pick to compare our picks vs the Cowboys. If we had done this in the past, we may have chosen:

Manziel over Martin
Fairley over Tyron Smith
Shariff Floyd over Frederick
Malcolm Brown over Byron Jones
I'd probably still take Brown over Jones.

Cotton

Staff member
I'd probably still take Brown over Jones.
Me, too. As you can see in that link I wasn't very happy they picked Jones with Brown still on the board.

data

Forbes #1
Me, too. As you can see in that link I wasn't very happy they picked Jones with Brown still on the board.
Revisionist history. I took that post to mean a celebratory trip to Whataburger, where you told me later you bought every patron there burgers were on you.

Cotton

Staff member
Revisionist history. I took that post to mean a celebratory trip to Whataburger, where you told me later you bought every patron there burgers were on you.
Well, I did run into a Ram fan who is a friend of mine while I was there. He gloated for a good 30 seconds before I shut him down with my glowing wit. By the time ole Jeffrey and I were finishing up our conversation I had half the restaurant howling with laughter and scolding Jeffrey for ever challenging me.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Can't see the entire article because it is Insider ESPN, but it compares Taco to Kevin Dodd. Ouch.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can't see the entire article because it is Insider ESPN, but it compares Taco to Kevin Dodd. Ouch.

Dallas Cowboys

The Cowboys drafted seven defensive players. That was a league high. The total included five in the first six rounds.

"Taco [Charlton] is a lot like Kevin Dodd, who came out of Clemson last year for Tennessee," an evaluator said. "He is not your bend-the-edge, get-to-the-quarterback guy. He is a set-the-edge player who is talented -- really long. He is a starting-level, solid defensive end but not going to be the consistent double-digit sack guy."

The Cowboys loaded up on defensive backs, taking two in the first three rounds. A sixth-rounder they selected stood out to one evaluator.

"There were some really good values in the sixth round this year, and [safety] Xavier Woods was one of them," this evaluator said.

This is just a lazy size/forty time/draft spot comparison. Dodd went in the same range of the draft as Charlton and had a similar forty time.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This is just a lazy size/forty time/draft spot comparison. Dodd went in the same range of the draft as Charlton and had a similar forty time.
Yep. More supporting evidence is that they are the exact same weight and nearly the same height. Both have long body types.

But Taco produced consistently in college while Dodd was more of a one year wonder who peaked at the end of his career. Taco gives you the impression he'll be a solid pro at worst with no limits at all if he embraces weight training, improving his craft, etc.

Dodd seemed like more of a hit or miss kind of player.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep. More supporting evidence is that they are the exact same weight and nearly the same height. Both have long body types.

But Taco produced consistently in college while Dodd was more of a one year wonder who peaked at the end of his career. Taco gives you the impression he'll be a solid pro at worst with no limits at all if he embraces weight training, improving his craft, etc.

Dodd seemed like more of a hit or miss kind of player.
And Dodd was second fiddle to the pass rusher opposite of him. He got no attention in blocking. Charlton was the stud DE at Michigan.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I don't think you can dismiss the shuttle time either... it's quite a bit better than Takk's who seemed to be a more touted pick athleticism- wise. The time even looks better considering Taco is 4" taller and 27 pounds heavier.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think you can dismiss the shuttle time either... it's quite a bit better than Takk's who seemed to be a more touted pick athleticism- wise. The time even looks better considering Taco is 4" taller and 27 pounds heavier.
Takk is more of a straight line athlete but he is more stiff than Taco.

Top Bottom