105.3 Mike Fisher on our first round: Off the board. Off the Chart. Off the rocker

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Carl

RIP Brother
If he wasn't a good fit, then he shouldn't be rated #7. Scouts are trained to scout players based on their fit in the system in place.

So, either we have scouts who don't know how to do their job or Jones is lying.

The only way Jones gets off the hook on this one is if Kiffen told Jones he preferred players at DT who he feels will be available in Rd 2 or even Rd 3.

Carl

RIP Brother
So the same scouts that you praise for having Floyd ranked 7th are the same ones who had Frederick ranked #21. We got him 10 picks later. Wouldn't that be a steal?
Except we had a 2nd round grade on him.

D

Deuce

If he wasn't a good fit, then he shouldn't be rated #7. Scouts are trained to scout players based on their fit in the system in place.

So, either we have scouts who don't know how to do their job or Jones is lying.

The only way Jones gets off the hook on this one is if Kiffen told Jones he preferred players at DT who he feels will be available in Rd 2 or even Rd 3.
Ok, but then we'll never know cause Kiffin isn't going to come out and give an opinion on a player we didn't take.

Rev

Staff member

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
So the same scouts that you praise for having Floyd ranked 7th are the same ones who had Frederick ranked #21. We got him 10 picks later. Wouldn't that be a steal?
I didn't praise them. The point was that since we didn't trade up or even take a guy at 18 that we had rated 7th, then why are you assuming we'd have traded up for Frederick in the 2nd?

Carl

RIP Brother
So. We had a 2nd round grade on 12 guys taken in round 1. Does that mean Baltimore reached on Matt Elam?
Oh, I think it is often the case, that you end up with a Rd2 graded player when picking at end of Rd1. I just wouldn't call him a steal.

I guess I am just a little disappointed with how last night unfolded.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Probably the same media that everybody always complains about not knowing their shit.
I said majority of NFL and media. But yeah, I'm sure the majority who had Frederick pegged as a late 2nd or even 3rd rounder are wrong and Jerry is right like usual. LOL

D

Deuce

I didn't praise them. The point was that since we didn't trade up or even take a guy at 18 that we had rated 7th, then why are you assuming we'd have traded up for Frederick in the 2nd?
I already answered that. We liked him...a lot. He was the 21st ranked prospect overall and the 2nd ranked prospect amongst 2nd round picks. Plus he "fit our system" which is what Shariff Floyd didn't do which I agree with. Add into it the obvious need for interior OL that Garrett and Jones both mentioned many times and the huge run on OL in the first round, they would have needed to do so.

D

Deuce

Oh, I think it is often the case, that you end up with a Rd2 graded player when picking at end of Rd1. I just wouldn't call him a steal.

I guess I am just a little disappointed with how last night unfolded.
I agree with that first part of the statement and my calling him a steal earlier was jokingly since everyone and their mother wants to call him a reach.

But I don't agree with being disappointed. Maybe initially when all we've done is watch and hope for Warmack or Cooper, but I think he's a fine player and will be for a long time.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I already answered that. We liked him...a lot. He was the 21st ranked prospect overall and the 2nd ranked prospect amongst 2nd round picks. Plus he "fit our system" which is what Shariff Floyd didn't do which I agree with. Add into it the obvious need for interior OL that Garrett and Jones both mentioned many times and the huge run on OL in the first round, they would have needed to do so.
You have just as much proof we would've traded up for him in the 2nd as we have that he'd still be there at 47. None. Also many think Schwenke is just as good. Amazing how after all these years we still have so many fans desperately trying to justify Jerry's reaches.

D

Deuce

You have just as much proof we would've traded up for him in the 2nd as we have that he'd still be there at 47. None. Also many think Schwenke is just as good. Amazing how after all these years we still have so many fans desperately trying to justify Jerry's reaches.
That's me, I'm an ultra homer that tries to justify everything Jerry does. There's no way I actually like something he did and support it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Scouts are trained to scout players based on their fit in the system in place.
Not really, this happens all the time where scouts don't look at players based on system fit. They rank them purely on their abilities as football players. It's part of keeping a truly pure draft board.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
What I'm not understanding is if they didn't view him as a quick twitch guy and had concerns about his low sack numbers, why the hell was he so high on their draft board in the first place.

This team is so dysfunctional it's scary.

Rev

Staff member
I said majority of NFL and media. But yeah, I'm sure the majority who had Frederick pegged as a late 2nd or even 3rd rounder are wrong and Jerry is right like usual. LOL
You missed the point but I guess we can't have everything.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The same ones that thought Geno was going in the top ten and that Floyd was the third best player in the draft?

Top Bottom