The Restructuring Thread...

hstour

Brand New Member
Following that logic, then we shouldn't re-sign Dez or Tyron to a second, bigger money contract.
....Counting starts AFTER the rookie contract. You have them on the rookie deal, you sign them to the 1st post rookie contract, then let them go in their late 20's on the 2nd, bigger money, contract.

Much like Chicago is doing with Melton....

Last edited:

hstour

Brand New Member
I guess its hard to figure out.
And I guess it's easy to ignore my 2nd statement. Chicago, who knows more about his injury/rehab is willing to let him go.

Yet you, who knows really nothing about it, says he be "just fine." You could be right. But I like to make my decisions based on what someone who actually has some information is doing.

D

Deuce

And I guess it's easy to ignore my 2nd statement. Chicago, who knows more about his injury/rehab is willing to let him go.

Yet you, who knows really nothing about it, says he be "just fine." You could be right. But I like to make my decisions based on what someone who actually has some information is doing.
We also don't know what Chicago thinks. Maybe they were satisfied with what they saw from his replacement next year, or maybe they just plan to spend money elsewhere and fill the DT void in the draft. Or maybe, just maybe, they can't get something worked out.

Lots of possibilities for why he won't be in Chicago next week that have nothing to do with his knee.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys' free agents by the numbers

March, 11, 2014

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

Here’s a quick look at the Cowboys entering free agency today by the numbers.

How much salary cap space? The Cowboys have $1.1 million worth of space available, lowest in the NFL. This could increase if the team restructures, releases or gets DeMarcus Ware to take a pay cut. If Ware is released the team opens $7.4 million in space.

What about Miles Austin? He’s currently on the roster, but it’s doubtful he’ll remain there. The Cowboys can make Austin a post-June 1 cut after free agency starts today and create $5.5 million in cap space. The team can’t get the savings until, well, after June 1.

Highest cap numbers for 2014: Ware $16 million, Brandon Carr $12.2 million, Tony Romo$11.7 million, Jason Witten $8.4 million and Miles Austin $8.2 million.

Notable free agents: Jason Hatcher, Anthony Spencer and Ernie Sims enter free agency today. The team will let all three test the market, but have a better chance at bringing Spencer back. Hatcher is looking for a big money deal and the Cowboys, at least right now, are against doing that. Spencer is returning from microfracture surgery and could return for a much lower financial deal. Sims, a veteran backup linebacker, most likely will sign elsewhere.

Who are the Cowboys are looking at? Everybody. Well, anybody they can afford. The Cowboys want upgrades along the defensive line, free safety and linebacker. Denver weakside linebacker Wesley Woodyard is someone the team has interest in. If backup quarterback Kyle Orton retires, then getting a veteran to backup Tony Romo becomes important. The team has worked out Mike Kafka, David Carr, Tyler Thigpen, John Skelton,Richard Bartel and Caleb Hanie in the last few months.

hstour

Brand New Member
We also don't know what Chicago thinks. Maybe they were satisfied with what they saw from his replacement next year, or maybe they just plan to spend money elsewhere and fill the DT void in the draft. Or maybe, just maybe, they can't get something worked out.

Lots of possibilities for why he won't be in Chicago next week that have nothing to do with his knee.
Yet the fact remains, Chicago is letting him go when they have $9,459,956 in cap space. Why? And why would you want to sign him based on that fact alone PLUS the fact that he is coming off a knee injury?

I just question the logic.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Yet the fact remains, Chicago is letting him go when they have $9,459,956 in cap space. Why? And why would you want to sign him based on that fact alone PLUS the fact that he is coming off a knee injury?

If he's so good...

Cotton

Staff member

If they are so wary of injury, why would they sign "Jeremiah" Ratliff coming off a season long injury then?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
If they are so wary of injury, why would they sign "Jeremiah" Ratliff coming off a season long injury then?
Good one.

He's been injured for most of the last 3 seasons.

D

Deuce

$9M isn't a ton of cap space if he wants $6M a year and they have other holes they want to fill.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If we release Romo we still have like 20 mill in dead money, so NoDak is right. The QB position would then cost us 20 mill plus whatever we pay the new guy.
No it wouldn't. Not in reality anyway. Romo has already cost us the 20 mil. The only difference is that instead of spreading that hit over multiple cap years, it hits on just one cap year. Which just means we have to spread other players money out.

Cotton

Staff member
No it wouldn't. Not in reality anyway. Romo has already cost us the 20 mil. The only difference is that instead of spreading that hit over multiple cap years, it hits on just one cap year. Which just means we have to spread other players money out.
But, that 20 mill in dead money would have to be paid that year. Hence costing us the 20 mill plus his replacement cost. Now, you might be bale to argue that we can finagle other contracts to account for that, but that's not I'm debating. I'm saying that if we cut him we owe him 20 mill in dead money plus his replacement cost, which is true.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm saying that if we cut him we owe him 20 mill in dead money
If we cut him we don't owe him anything further. The 20 mil was already given to Romo. This concept that cutting Romo costs Dallas additional money isn't true. All it changes is the cap distribution from one year to another. The only new cost to Dallas would be the new QB. In which his contract can be structured accordingly.

Cotton

Staff member
If we cut him we don't owe him anything further. The 20 mil was already given to Romo. This concept that cutting Romo costs Dallas additional money isn't true. All it changes is the cap distribution from one year to another. The only new cost to Dallas would be the new QB. In which his contract can be structured accordingly.
We would still owe him money. You think that if we cut him we can walk away without any further obligations to him? We would still have to pay out his guaranteed part of the contract, plus his replacement coast. However that is shaped. I'm not sure of the numbers if we did it next year, but this year it would cost us 20 mill.

Cotton

Staff member
BTW the potential in dead money from his contract is something like 42 mill.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Who gives a f*ck about the money, what I care for is cap space and 20mill + what his replacement would use up is what it would cost.
Hence cutting Romo would cost 20mill+, and that would suck donkey balls so for better or worse we're stuck with the former Mr. Moxie.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
With enough dead money even Jerry Jones ass will pucker.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We would still owe him money. You think that if we cut him we can walk away without any further obligations to him? We would still have to pay out his guaranteed part of the contract, plus his replacement coast. However that is shaped. I'm not sure of the numbers if we did it next year, but this year it would cost us 20 mill.
That guaranteed part of the contract has already been paid. As far as I know we didn't guarantee payments in the future on his contract. I don't think you understand though. In terms of Jerry's pockets it doesn't cost us 20 mil ro cut him. It doesn't cost us an additional 20 mil against the cap in the long run. That 20 mil is already gone. It is spent. The only thing you should be worried about is money that he hasn't been paid. Money that we will have to pay him if we don't cut him.

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yep. Romo is already factored into the current cap equation.

D

Deuce

That guaranteed part of the contract has already been paid. As far as I know we didn't guarantee payments in the future on his contract. I don't think you understand though. In terms of Jerry's pockets it doesn't cost us 20 mil ro cut him. It doesn't cost us an additional 20 mil against the cap in the long run. That 20 mil is already gone. It is spent. The only thing you should be worried about is money that he hasn't been paid. Money that we will have to pay him if we don't cut him.
I thought that was exactly what we did when we restructured him last offseason.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Romo's salary is fully guaranteed through 2015. We pretty much literally can't cut him until the 2016 offseason.

Top Bottom