2014 College Football Chatter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Charlie Weis is fired from KU per the espns.

How'd he end up so terrible?
I'd fire him this week in hopes of lighting a spark under the team for a possible rally to at least qualify for a bowl game. Similar to what we saw with the USC Trojans last year.

It's better than the status quo which will likely end with the Wolverines finishing with only 5 wins.

Get a fresh voice in there ASAP and salvage what's left of the season. There's literally nothing to lose by doing that.

I'm not even a Michigan fan and Hoke irritates the hell out of me. He exudes vibes of incompetence.
He also needs to be canned for being too incompetent to recognize that his starting QB was injured. Morris not only had a high ankle sprain, but a fucking concussion. He was so delirious after one play, one of his teammates had to hold him up as he stumbled to the sideline like some drunken floozy. And what happened? Nothing. Hoke and his staff ignored it and put him back in the game one fucking play later. He then tried to pull the plausible deniability card by punting the responsibility of noticing and protecting the health of his players by blaming his staff. Fuck him.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
He also needs to be canned for being too incompetent to recognize that his starting QB was injured. Morris not only had a high ankle sprain, but a fucking concussion. He was so delirious after one play, one of his teammates had to hold him up as he stumbled to the sideline like some drunken floozy. And what happened? Nothing. Hoke and his staff ignored it and put him back in the game one fucking play later. He then tried to pull the plausible deniability card by punting the responsibility of noticing and protecting the health of his players by blaming his staff. Fuck him.
I get what you are saying but that is on the medical staff. Coaches are not allowed to make medical calls about players returning. If proper protocol was not followed after am injury that is 100% on the medical staff. A coach cannot override the Dr on the sideline.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Baker Mayfield has appeal denied
Updated: September 29, 2014, 3:14 PM ET
By Jake Trotter | ESPN.com

Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield's appeal to be eligible for the 2014 season has been denied by the NCAA, a source told ESPN.com.

Mayfield, who transferred to Oklahoma from Texas Tech, was seeking a waiver on the grounds that he was a walk-on for the Red Raiders and shouldn't be subject to the same transfer rules as a scholarship player.

Instead, he will have to sit out the rest of the season.

After the NCAA denied Mayfield's appeal, Oklahoma officials went back to Texas Tech to see whether the school would certify his immediate eligibility, according to a source, as a last resort. But Texas Tech officials still declined to certify the waiver.

Mayfield, who threw for 2,315 yards after winning the Red Raiders starting job in the preseason as a walk-on true freshman, was the 2013 Big 12 Freshman of the Year.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Good.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Stoops will get even on the gridiron.
Get even for what? I don't even get that. Is Stoops mad because the NCAA and the Big 12 is following their own rules? Stoops doesn't grant in-conference transfers either.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Bob Stoops agrees with Mike Gundy’s transfer restrictions on former QB Wes Lunt
Graham Watson By Graham Watson
June 6, 2013 12:10 PM
Dr. Saturday

View gallery
(USA Today Sports Images)
The Bedlam rivalry is one of the fiercest in the country, but the two programs — or at least their coaches — might have more in common than they think.
Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops told a group at an Oklahoma caravan in Plano, Texas on Wednesday evening that he supported the decision by Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy to restrict former quarterback Wes Lunt’s transfer.

Gundy came under fire after restricting Lunt, his opening day starter last season, from transferring anywhere in the Big 12, Pac-12, SEC and Central Michigan, whom the Cowboys play in 2015, and Southern Miss where former Oklahoma State offensive coordinator Todd Monken is the head coach, and receiving a scholarship for at least a year.

That didn’t leave Lunt a lot of options unless he wanted to pay for a year of school or go to a junior college and be ready to play for whomever he wants in 2014.

"I support every coach and I support Mike Gundy in every way if they have their issues because all situations are different. I mean that sincerely. Mike’s doing the right thing in his case," Stoops said. "A guy says, 'I’m coming to you' and you get a running back, and then all of a sudden you don’t have a running back. He leaves. That doesn’t leave your program in a great spot, right? So, I’m totally in agreement."

While Stoops might agree with Gundy’s decision to limit Lunt’s transfer options, it’s not a practice he actually preaches. In fact, Stoops allowed running back Brandon Williams to transfer from his program to Texas A&M. No restrictions imposed.

Gundy’s decision started a firestorm about student-athlete rights and why coaches were allowed to leave without restrictions and players were not. Gundy himself flirted with leaving the Cowboys for Tennessee or Arkansas, which would have left a lot of players who came to Oklahoma State to play for Gundy and his staff in a bind. Yet, there were no limitations imposed on him.
It’s hypocrisy in its highest form and Stoops, who has been quite outspoken this offseason about his feelings to student-athlete equality, doesn’t seem to care.

"Nobody made them sign with me. I didn’t force them to, it was what they wanted to do,” Stoops said. “And because we’re limited in what we’re allowed per scholarship, it’s the right thing to have consequences, otherwise you’d have kids changing their mind every year. It’s not right.

"It isn’t right that they can just do what they want to do. It isn’t good. I don’t believe in it."

But it’s OK for coaches not to honor their commitments?

Again, this is an age-old debate that has divided college football and turned coaches into bad guys. Of course, not every coach takes Gundy’s approach to transfers, but we have seen some programs at least be fair. A couple days ago, Notre Dame allowed Eddie Vanderdoes to transfer to UCLA, a school that was recruiting him initially, though he does have to sit out a year. Vanderdoes, who is from California, cited family issues as his reason for transfer. On the flip side, Florida State won’t release Matthew Thomas, who claims his mother forced him to sign with the Seminoles.

Lunt played in five games for the Cowboys before injuries forced him out of his starting role. Other players stepped in and Lunt saw the writing on the wall. He just wanted to go to a program where he could start again.

The stance by Gundy and the support by Stoops is certainly going to make recruiting interesting for both programs. Any player who has even a shred of doubt as to whether they want to really commit to either of those schools should probably hold out before they tie their next four years to either institution.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Get even for what? I don't even get that. Is Stoops mad because the NCAA and the Big 12 is following their own rules? Stoops doesn't grant in-conference transfers either.
It's a joke.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I get what you are saying but that is on the medical staff. Coaches are not allowed to make medical calls about players returning. If proper protocol was not followed after am injury that is 100% on the medical staff. A coach cannot override the Dr on the sideline.
Nonsense. A coach can indeed make a judgment call to protect his player. What he can't do is put a player back into the game if the medical staff pulls him out, but a coach can bench a player at any time. In this case, the neurologist never even examined him because he never had the chance to get to him to look him over before Hoke put him back in. So it's on Hoke to be more responsible and look out for the health and wellness of his players until the medical staff has the opportunity to perform its evaluation. It was also reported that had Hoke been wearing a headset, his assistants wanted to tell him to pull Morris because he was hurt.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Nonsense. A coach can indeed make a judgment call to protect his player. What he can't do is put a player back into the game if the medical staff pulls him out, but a coach can bench a player at any time. In this case, the neurologist never even examined him because he never had the chance to get to him to look him over before Hoke put him back in. So it's on Hoke to be more responsible and look out for the health and wellness of his players until the medical staff has the opportunity to perform its evaluation. It was also reported that had Hoke been wearing a headset, his assistants wanted to tell him to pull Morris because he was hurt.

That's cool. I don't know the details about the situation. I only know what protocol is and the head injury training that is required.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
The Baker Mayfield saga just won’t end.

Related
Report: Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield to receive extra year of eligibility

Baker Mayfield will be eligible for scholarship, but report says Oklahoma might not have one to give

After a report last week saying Mayfield had won his appeal with the NCAA to receive an extra year of eligibility was met with skepticism by some, a new report says the Texas Tech transfer’s appeal was denied by the governing body.

The Oklahoman‘s Ryan Aber cites a source saying that Mayfield will not receive the extra year of eligibility and will remain on the sidelines this season after both the Big 12 and NCAA ruled against him.

Mayfield, the Big 12 Offensive Freshman of the Year at Texas Tech as a walk-on, transferred to Oklahoma after not being guaranteed a scholarship and coach Kliff Kingsbury’s declaring the quarterback position an open competition entering 2014.

Despite his walk-on status, Mayfield’s transfer was blocked by Texas Tech, making him unable to play in 2014 while also losing a year of eligibility due to Big 12 rules.

Mayfield’s father accused Texas Tech coach Kliff Kingsbury of being the driving force behind the situation.

“The driver and the scoundrel behind all this is Kliff,” James Mayfield, Baker’s father, told The Oklahoman on Monday. “He is so focused or hellbent on punishing Baker.”

Mayfield was eligible to receive a scholarship after Texas Tech waived the conference rule blocking it last month, but his appeal process for immediate eligibility was ongoing and one report said Oklahoma didn’t have a scholarship for the transfer.

Had he been eligible this season, Mayfield would potentially have been the No. 2 quarterback behind Trevor Knight. He could also have continued to sit and redshirted for the season.

The Sooners current backup, Cody Thomas, battled an injury earlier this season that has left his status in the air.

Should Mayfield stay at Oklahoma, he would be eligible to play in 2015 in what would be his junior season.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Here's the funny thing:

Baker walked-on to TTU and earned a spot. Kliff told him that he'd give him a scholarship when the NCAA allowed, which was going to be in the spring semester.

Kliff told Baker that he would have to compete for the starting spot in the bowl game and beyond. Baker gets mad and walks off of the team leaving Tech with no viable backup going into the bowl game. Baker told the media that he left after he was told he'd have to compete. Later deddy tells the media that Kliff wasn't going to give him a scholarship. Lie.

Now he's at OU and Stoops still hasn't given him a scholarship because he doesn't have one to give out. lol

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
That's cool. I don't know the details about the situation. I only know what protocol is and the head injury training that is required.
No worries. I'd likely share your opinion if I hadn't known the details. Hoke blew the entire thing by putting Morris back on the field before the medical staff even had the opportunity to evaluate him. That's what has disgusted us with respect to the ordeal.

Then again, shitty play on the field over the last 2 seasons hasn't helped, either.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I'll be working at the TCU-Oklahoma game. I'm really looking forward to it and I hope TCU puts up a good fight. Texas_Christian_Horned_Frogs.jpg

Carl

RIP Brother
What sort of a F'ing penalty was that on Washington of Oregon? He took a bow and AZ gets a first down. Is there any common sense any more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom