George: Jerry Jones confident LB Bruce Carter can still be ‘outstanding’

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Sometimes you can motivate or light a fire under a player by calling him out a little.

Sometimes, instead of saying, "we believe in him, gosh darnit," it's more effective to say "we were disappointed that he didn't progress like we had hoped, and he needs to get better. We've talked to him and he knows that."

That's what good management does sometimes when it's necessary.

We ALWAYS prop our players. Gives them a sense of security and entitlement. A player like Bruce Cartershould not have that.

Of course, it should be the coach doing this, not Jerry, but that's another issue.
They did bench him for Ernie Sims. I did not see him respond.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Can't give up on him yet, but definitely don't hesitate to bring in competition. Competition and a paycut brought the best out of Doug Free.

Carp

DCC 4Life
LB as a unit was bad. I would not be against Mosley and still hold out hope a Mack or Barr falls. I do feel cryptically good about Holloman.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
LB as a unit was bad. I would not be against Mosley and still hold out hope a Mack or Barr falls. I do feel cryptically good about Holloman.
They'll be fine if the DL and safeties ever get fixed.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yes. They will look a lot better if the DL isn't incompetent like it was this year.

Lee had a bad year too... coincidence? And the secondary all had a bad year?

Man, it was just shocking, all these highly paid players who play behind our shit line all had down years. Who would have thought?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Yes. They will look a lot better if the DL isn't incompetent like it was this year.

Lee had a bad year too... coincidence? And the secondary all had a bad year?

Man, it was just shocking, all these highly paid players who play behind our shit line all had down years. Who would have thought?
Sean Lee didn't really have a bad year. He had 4 picks, defended 6 passes, had 68 tackles, he just got hurt again.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Sorry...we can't blame it on all on the DL. Carter looked lost. It's funny that the CBs don't get the same slack that the LBs do because of the DL.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Sorry...we can't blame it on all on the DL. Carter looked lost. It's funny that the CBs don't get the same slack that the LBs do because of the DL.
I'd actually say that's the #1 reason Carr looked like shit. The DL was bad.

Of course that goes back to the point that he's not worth his contract because.... well.... he's dependent on the DL like all DBs.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Oh bullshit...every time any of the CBs gave up a catch they sucked...now they are defenseless victims of the DL.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Bullshit. You draft the right coverage LB in the first three rounds and chances are pretty good they are better than Carter was last year. He is not a special talent that just can't be replaced. He is, plain and simple, a bad fit in this defense which requires a right outside linebacker with a functional brain.

We won't replace him simply because we don't want to. We are too fricking lazy. We just wait for the player to completely fail or just go away before we bother to ever do that.

I saw enough stupid lazy shit out of Carter last year to move on.
You mean like this?

This play still pisses me off. Shows you how dumb some players are and proves that they just because they play the game they aren't the subject matter expert at their craft.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Him not being able to keep up with Danny Woodhead had nothing to do with the DL.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Sean Lee didn't really have a bad year. He had 4 picks, defended 6 passes, had 68 tackles, he just got hurt again.
Correct. He just has better instincts than Carter, who had a rep for being dumb and it is showing as he gets more responsibilities.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
If it was up to me I'd try to move Lee out to the WLB spot, in a Derrick Brooks/Lance Briggs role. There's a possibility he could stay healthy and continue to be a huge playmaker in coverage.

I'd try Carter at MLB, let him run to the football, I think he has the athleticism to drop into the middle zone they way this defense needs too. I'd also draft an ILB in case he didn't work out.

data

Forbes #1
I'd be willing to part with Bruce Carter, but only if you can guarantee a definite upgrade. Someone like Navarro Bowman.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think Carter can still be a half decent starter, just not a guy you build around.

dallas0593

Brand New Member
I think given time he will be a excellent lb, when you lose confidence it really effects your play. I see something in him that will make in a top lb. Just like Claiborne....the confidence thing really screws up your game.

Top Bottom