JJT: Tony Romo won't be threatened if Dallas Cowboys take QB in first round

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Tony Romo won't be threatened if Dallas Cowboys take QB in first round
11:25 AM ET
Jean-Jacques Taylor
ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- Whether Tony Romo wants the Dallas Cowboys to a draft a quarterback with the fourth overall pick is irrelevant.

He doesn't get a vote, nor should he have one.

He's going to get paid $8.5 million, while counting nearly $21 million against the club’s salary cap, to play quarterback and lead the Cowboys to the playoffs for sixth time since he became a starter in 2006.

That said, if the Cowboys draft a quarterback in one of the first two rounds, Romo will be the consummate teammate.

He'll help the new guy on the practice field and in the meeting room. He'll answer questions, and, knowing Romo, he'll give helpful advice whether it's solicited or not.

To do anything else would be fraudulent.

Romo is a top example of Jason Garrett's "right kind of guy." A big part of that is being a good teammate and part of being a good teammate is helping other players improve. Players do it at other positions all of the time.

“If the best player there is a quarterback, then that's what our team needs,” Romo said at the end of the season. “I'm just obviously a player on the football team and I don't have to make those decisions and I'm glad.

“My job is go out and get better and make sure this team wins next year. And I'm going to do everything in my power to ensure that.”

In the 10 seasons Romo has been the Cowboys’ starting quarterback, there hasn't been anything about his personality, attitude or performance to suggest he’s selfish. So don't listen to the narrative about Romo being reluctant to help a first-round QB pick because he doesn't want to train his eventual replacement.

That’s such a shallow way to think. We’ve all had mentors at work. Pro sports is full of players who have helped their backups improve because it makes the team better.

Just because former Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre treated Aaron Rodgers poorly doesn't mean Romo would do the same to a quarterback drafted in the first round.

After more than 34,000 yards passing, 247 touchdown passes and four Pro Bowls, Romo feels secure about his ability.

When healthy, he's among the game's elite quarterbacks and no rookie is going to beat him out. No second-year or third-year quarterback will beat out a healthy Romo -- even when he's 39.

At some point, though, age robs every player of the skills that once made him a star. It hasn’t yet happened to Romo, but it will someday just like it happened to Peyton Manning this year.

The Broncos won the Super Bowl but Manning served as a game manager. He finished the season with a league-leading 17 interceptions, despite missing six games. When Romo ceases to be effective, he’ll know. Whether he chooses to ever admit it or not is another question.

Quarterback remains the most difficult position to play in pro sports and if the Cowboys deem Carson Wentz or Jared Goff worthy of the fourth pick in the draft then they must take him.

This is an awful crop of free-agent quarterbacks. Kellen Moore is probably best suited to be a career backup, and the Cowboys can use this pick to solidify their quarterback position with three guys they're comfortable playing.

Romo missed 12 games last year and he'll have a plate placed in his collarbone in hopes of strengthening the bone.

He's started 16 games just twice since 2010, though he had played in 62 of 64 games before last season. Still, older players get hurt and take longer to recover, so the Cowboys must prepare for the possibility of Romo missing some games.

Any other approach would be foolish. If there's a quarterback worthy of the fourth pick or even the 34th pick, the Cowboys must take him.

The alternative is another stretch of empty years with dudes like Anthony Wright, Clint Stoerner, Drew Henson, Chad Hutchinson, Quincy Carter, Ryan Leaf, Vinny Testaverde and Drew Bledsoe throwing passes for the Cowboys until the next star arrives.

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
So don't listen to the narrative about Romo being reluctant to help a first-round QB pick because he doesn't want to train his eventual replacement.
Where has this EVER been said, anywhere?

Cotton

Staff member
Nowhere. But JJT likes to sensationalize, and there is no story unless he adds that contention is possible.

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
Nowhere. But JJT likes to sensationalize, and there is no story unless he adds that contention is possible.
So, is he trying to create a narrative, or just lying his ass off about there being one?

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Two "journalists" i don't bother with above most others: JJT and Spags. Regardless of how anyone feels about him, Romo has pretty much always been a good teammate.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Black Journalists Matter

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I can't think of any top flight QB that has been all happy to train their replacement. If they are a competitor, they view that person as trying to take their job.

It just doesn't happen. Favre didn't care for Rodgers being around, Brady has not exactly been besties with the backups the Patriots have drafted, etc.

To me, it is just dumb to expect that any good competitive QB is going to be falling all over themselves to be a mentor. That's not their job.

That's why you have a QB coach.

Cotton

Staff member
I can't think of any top flight QB that has been all happy to train their replacement. If they are a competitor, they view that person as trying to take their job.

It just doesn't happen. Favre didn't care for Rodgers being around, Brady has not exactly been besties with the backups the Patriots have drafted, etc.

To me, it is just dumb to expect that any good competitive QB is going to be falling all over themselves to be a mentor. That's not their job.

Whether that's true or not doesn't change the fact that this has never been said before regarding Romo.

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member

I'll grant all of that but, where is this so-called "narrative" on Romo? Have you ever heard anyone say anything like that?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

And Joe Montana called Steve Young "poison". Staubach hated Longley. Bledsoe doesn't even look at the Superbowl ring he won behind Brady.

Being "nice" and sharing just isn't in a great QB's nature. It's their team, period.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
And Joe Montana called Steve Young "poison". Staubach hated Longley. Bledsoe doesn't even look at the Superbowl ring he won behind Brady.

Being "nice" and sharing just isn't in a great QB's nature. It's their team, period.
They might feel that way but they are wrong to feel that way. In the final analysis the quarterback is just one of several employees and is subject to their employers wishes.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
They might feel that way but they are wrong to feel that way. In the final analysis the quarterback is just one of several employees and is subject to their employers wishes.
In theory, but in practice the greats get that way by seizing control of their teams and not giving an inch.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
In theory, but in practice the greats get that way by seizing control of their teams and not giving an inch.
Again. That might be the case but they are wrong to think the team belongs to them.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
:lol Jesus, man. Outlawing slavery really did a number on you.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The part where they are "wrong" for disagreeing with their employer's wishes. God forbid people have ideas of their own.
Then you missed the entire point. The commentary was whether a QB who was the starter should help train a new QB that was brought on board. Some felt the starter had no obligation to do so as well as they felt the team belonged to them. My comment was that if they felt that way then they were wrong because they are an employee and if the employer wants then to work with the new guy then the QB would be wrong not to do so. He is an employee and as long as he takes money from the employer he serves at their pleasure. If he doesn't feel he can then he should leave.

The real question at hand is does any employee have the right to take a wage but refuse to comply with the employers demands. I think no. If you cannot comply then leave but to continue to take the money and refuse is essentially stealing. Now tell me how you justify refusing to comply with the employers wishes because you disagree with him/her. Then tell me how it is okay to continue this position and continue to be paid. Finally , tell me how you equate this to slavery.

Top Bottom